PDA

View Full Version : Stripped Hex wrench bolt.

Bridgewater
09-30-2008, 07:52 PM
forget what these bolts are called but yeah i got a problem lol. was getting ready to take off the plastic that covers the gas tank on the left hand side and i noticed the bolt where u have to use a hex wrench was already half stripped. (first time ive took it off and its new -.-). but i decided to try it anyways and its completely stripped now. pretty much just spins the wrench if you try to take it out. ive spent half the night trying to catch it and rip it out and think of other ways to but im clueless.. :mad:
:mad: :mad:

whats the best way to get it out now..?
anybody got any of there own little special techniques lol

Picture---
http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/5503/hexstripmh1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

BossHogg420
09-30-2008, 08:01 PM
wow haha 2 nights ago i did the exact same thing to the exact same year!!! lucky i can still move the plastic to access my carb and get to any thing important. i guess when i do go to fix it im just gonna drill it out unless someone has a better i dea besides replacing everylast factory piece of **** bolt and screw!!!!

CJM
09-30-2008, 08:04 PM
1. Find cheap hex wrench or cheap set of hex sockets and hammer next bigger size in, hope it will catch it. May have to use SAE or metric..depends

2. Good vise grips and crank on it.

3. Drill it out a bit and use a bolt extractor set (they are punches that are square on the end that you hammer in).

4. Bolt offs, they sell a set of them at sears for about 20 bucks or they have some at home depot/lowes.

5. Hammer a 12pt (if you got one) or a 6pt socket that fits ok and try that.

I have all of the above so I would try each one till I gave up. The bolt offs will work the best but some of the other methods maybe free.

wanta450
09-30-2008, 08:07 PM
put the tightest allen wrech in there then use a center punch on each flat side of the hex to smash screw head in against the wrench

Bridgewater
09-30-2008, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by BossHogg420
wow haha 2 nights ago i did the exact same thing to the exact same year!!! lucky i can still move the plastic to access my carb and get to any thing important. i guess when i do go to fix it im just gonna drill it out unless someone has a better i dea besides replacing everylast factory piece of **** bolt and screw!!!!

haha yeah i just want my plastic off, (re painting frame).
but i plan on replacing all these retarted little idk what to call them "inverted bolts" lol with just regualr bolts.

and thank you CJM ive tried a few of those but will try more tomorrow. plan on probably just drilling it out.

coryatver
09-30-2008, 08:17 PM
be careful drilling it out. the threaded part is pretty small there. If I was you I would cut or somehow get that plastic off there and get the plastic out from under neath it and then you would have plenty of room to lock some vice grips on it real good and take it right off.

Bridgewater
09-30-2008, 08:21 PM
no its below there. my gas tank plastic is red =\.

yeah i know its gunna b close and a major hastle. hate striping bolts or anything. such a pain in the butt.

coryatver
09-30-2008, 08:25 PM
im talking about that black side plastic that is all that is under that hex bolt. if you used a pick or punch or something maybe even a screw driver and put a crack or notch in the plastic right below that bolt you could probley pull that black side plastic up and off the bolt and then with the plastic gone there would be space behind the bolt and you could get some vice grips on it.

09-30-2008, 08:33 PM
haha i have the same thing. What is did is spray PB blaster (penetrating/degreaser liquid) and let that sit then I took pliers and grabbed a little bit of the edges to turn it out. The other side was stripped too and that was in there so I sprayed PB blaster and then took the dremel and used the grinding wheel to cut a big slot in it for a flat head screw driver.

04TRX400EX
09-30-2008, 08:41 PM
I've done the same thing twice. It seems like quite a few of the allen-head bolts/screw things on the quad are way too soft of a material and are prone to stripping. I stripped one of the rear swingarm adjustment bolts as well so watch out.

As others have said, I ended up drilling out mine but try to see if you can hit the next bigger size allen wrench into the hole.

Nextelonline123
09-30-2008, 08:44 PM
Take a dremel and cut a slot into it. Then use the widest flat blade screw driver you have to get it out

brian76708
09-30-2008, 08:55 PM
weld a socket or nut onto it or if u dont have a welder just take a hammer and jam a allen wrench in there

Speedy 400ex
09-30-2008, 10:17 PM
X3 with the dremal cut slot, works for me every time.

400ex07
09-30-2008, 11:19 PM
Same thing happened to mine, I replaced them with the same bolt but the head looked like a regular bolt, I got it from Honda. they use them on the older 400s I think.

coryatver
10-01-2008, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by 400ex07
Same thing happened to mine, I replaced them with the same bolt but the head looked like a regular bolt, I got it from Honda. they use them on the older 400s I think.

the old 400ex's where phillips head

bigballz400
10-01-2008, 08:29 AM
I'd break out the right angle cut off wheel and make a cut down the middle and use a flathead screwdriver lol that's wat I've always done

dragex400
10-01-2008, 09:00 AM
Same bolts stripped on mine too. These are called machine bolts. You can try an ez out or I just drilled it out and ran a tap through the hole to rethread it. It worked great and was really easy to do.

400ex07
10-01-2008, 09:04 AM
The bolt Im talking about didn't come from the same spot. I think its the one used on the front plastics where they mount to the brackets on the bottom? But it worked great and I never have to worry about stripping it

brian76708
10-01-2008, 05:29 PM
where can you get those bolts at one somehow fell out when i was riding the other day

Ruby Soho
10-01-2008, 05:47 PM
vice grips?

i have 10mm bolts with lock washers there.. came with the maier's

RaginRedneck
10-01-2008, 05:49 PM
1) Cut a slot into into it and use a Large Flat head screwdriver to get it out

2) Put a cheap allen head wrench in there and weld the sucker...my preferred method because I like to make the bolt pay for being a pain in my arse! :devil:

Bridgewater
10-01-2008, 08:05 PM
http://img380.imageshack.us/img380/6979/ownedop2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
well thats whats left of it after some grinding and drilling...can u say owned? haha pay backs a beach :devil:

CJM
10-01-2008, 08:47 PM
Ya know my 00 has all 10mm fasteners, I wonder if they changed them or if thats factory.

Bridgewater
10-01-2008, 09:01 PM
i believe mine also has them but they are used to just connect the red and black front plastic, this one was used to hold the plastic to the frame