PDA

View Full Version : Taking apart Houser a-arms

nakomis0
12-10-2002, 02:46 PM
I bought used a-arms and want to get them powdercoated.

I want to know how to remove these bushing type things. Its the part that the bolt goes though to connect the a-arm to the frame. Right where the grease zerks are. Can I remove these? Or anything else you can tell me to prep these for powdercoating?

I know to remove the ball joint. and these bushings prolly. Maybe I can just tape off the bushings? Let me know if ya know anything about it.

MX440exracer
12-10-2002, 03:03 PM
you have to take off anything that won't with stand 400 degrees for a few hours. To take out the bushings, you can get a small rod that is about 3/8" in diameter, stick it in a little crooked(sp?), make sure it hits the inside edge of the opposite bushing and tap it out. It shouldn't take much. If worse comes to worse, you might have to get new bushings if you ruin them talking them out.

Good Luck!

12-10-2002, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by MX440exracer
If worse comes to worse, you might have to get new bushings if you ruin them talking them out.

Good Luck!

And there's pretty good odds your gonna destroy a few of them..:(

nakomis0
12-10-2002, 04:59 PM
Think these bushings will hold up under PC? I may be using the wrong word by calling them bushings.

They look to be made of brass (maybe) with a steel sleeve through the middle. I can't see any rubber or nuttin in there.

MX440exracer
12-10-2002, 05:15 PM
if they are brass they will probably be ok. Just make sure they mask them well.

Some companies use plastic. I thought you were talking about those.

12-11-2002, 10:56 AM
I'm pretty sure houser has chosen several different bushing over the last few years. some arms have zerks some don't..Heck call houser up oynot..:)

Pappy
12-11-2002, 11:11 AM
to pc them correctly they need to come out.

even if they were taped off....the next time you had to install or remove new bushings you would have a ridge where the tape was. it maybe a lil work getting them out and maybe even getting new ones but it will be a much better finish when done.

i just had to destroy racer x 573's bushings. there was no way to get them out in one piece. they had been there for some time and the metal tube(insert) was rusty and wouldnt allow the polymer bushing to come out.

ChadEXer
12-11-2002, 03:36 PM
Yeah you would definately want to take them out! Even if they were brass, after sandblasting and powdercoating the bushings woulndt be worth a chit! Your best bet is to try to get them out and if you cant salvage them get some new ones! You can get them from Houser for $85 or, Im not sure if the Pivot Works kit will work but they would be cheaper. Dont you just hate how every time you turn around you have to buy something else?? That keeps happening to me!!!

ChadEXer
12-11-2002, 03:37 PM
Yeah you would definately want to take them out! Even if they were brass, after sandblasting and powdercoating the bushings wouldnt be worth a chit! Your best bet is to try to get them out and if you cant salvage them get some new ones! You can get them from Houser for around $85 or, Im not sure if the Pivot Works kit will work but they would be cheaper. Dont you just hate how every time you turn around you have to buy something else!! That keeps happening to me!!!