PDA

View Full Version : "stiction"

Pipeless416
09-29-2008, 10:37 PM
maybe somebody can help me here... i have a 400ex with +2 burgards and 450r shocks with works triple rate springs. the problem is that when the front end is compressed, it doesn't want to come back up. the top springs just stay compressed. the rebound is all the way fast/hard, and i have tried messing with the preload and compression to no avail. i think my problem lies with the friction between my a arm bushings and the mounts. without shocks, it is relatively hard to move the arms up and down (when dropped from the up position, they kind of float down.) not to mention that i had to somewhat bend the mounting tabs out when the a arms where new, just to mount them. anybody else had this problem? orrrr, the triple rate setup is brand new, so the springs could be too soft im guessing? something is really hindering the front ends performance and i want to get to the bottom of it so i stop hitting bumps with already compressed suspension. thanks in advance!

Pipeless416
09-29-2008, 10:38 PM
i forgot to mention that the bolts/bushings are regularly greased, and the springs are supposedly set up for me from works.

Pipeless416
09-29-2008, 10:41 PM
the right shock.. the compressed one.. basically shows how they look all the time, unless i physically lift the front end up.. then it will stay like that and it will look like the other shock.

Fred55
09-29-2008, 10:51 PM
If it's a ZPS spring set, they are supposed to do that

Pipeless416
09-29-2008, 10:54 PM
its just the standard triple rate spring kit. i basically lose complete travel of the top spring and sometimes top two. i get what you're saying though, and mine don't really have sag, they just don't come back up.

Fred55
09-29-2008, 11:00 PM
The elkas on my old YFZ did that too, the top spring would always be fully compressed unless the front end was lifted.

Pipeless416
09-29-2008, 11:02 PM
hmm, my brother's elkas have "functional sag" which is nice for keeping the tires planted.. but mine just suck haha. im thinking i'll file down the bushings a little bit so they move a little more freely, then see what happens. thanks for the quick responses btw. :)

Honda#4
09-30-2008, 07:21 AM
IDK if i'd file the bushing, I think your springs are to soft like ya said. Do you know what your springs are rated at for lbs?

NacsMXer
09-30-2008, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by Pipeless416
maybe somebody can help me here... i have a 400ex with +2 burgards and 450r shocks with works triple rate springs. the problem is that when the front end is compressed, it doesn't want to come back up. the top springs just stay compressed. the rebound is all the way fast/hard, and i have tried messing with the preload and compression to no avail. i think my problem lies with the friction between my a arm bushings and the mounts. without shocks, it is relatively hard to move the arms up and down (when dropped from the up position, they kind of float down.) not to mention that i had to somewhat bend the mounting tabs out when the a arms where new, just to mount them. anybody else had this problem? orrrr, the triple rate setup is brand new, so the springs could be too soft im guessing? something is really hindering the front ends performance and i want to get to the bottom of it so i stop hitting bumps with already compressed suspension. thanks in advance!

I'd say either the mounting tabs for the a-arms on the frame are bent inward too much or the a-arm bolts are tightened too much. Same thing happened to my buddy's 400 when installing new Elka shocks. You could push the front end down and it would just stay there and not rebound back up at all. His bolts were tightened too much which caused a huge bind where the arms mount to the frame.

Pipeless416
09-30-2008, 10:55 AM
thats a possibility too. i don't want the bolts coming undone :) .. maybe i'll get nyloc nuts on there.

01 400EXer
09-30-2008, 07:45 PM
Try loosening the a-arm bolts like stated above. You can also blue loctite the nuts as well as use a paint pen and mark the nuts and the a-arm to monitor if they loosen.

Pipeless416
09-30-2008, 10:33 PM
thanks for the suggestions guys. i'll try loosening them when im home next.. about a week and a half from now.

Colby@C&DRacing
10-01-2008, 08:30 AM
The easiest way to determine if it is the shocks or the a-arms is to remove the shocks, place the atv on a stand and lift up on the a-arm if it is hard to move and doesn't drop back down by itself you have a binding problem. If it moves freely then you have a shock problem.

Pipeless416
10-01-2008, 08:32 AM
should they be dropping really quickly, like theres no friction at all?

01 400EXer
10-01-2008, 08:44 AM
Mine drop fairly fast with little resistance. There is some but not much. I can tell a difference when they are to tight, the suspension does not feel as good and react like it should.

HondaRaceReady
10-14-2008, 08:12 PM
Get elmo's fat *** off the bumper and the front end should move up easily again.

Pipeless416
10-14-2008, 08:14 PM
i figured in his 8 ounces when i gave works my weight.. haha it was definitely the mounts that were too tight. thanks for the help guys.