PDA

View Full Version : Cam?

400ex07
09-29-2008, 09:25 PM
Im slowly starting to get some mods for my qaud and I would like to do a stage 2 Hotcam but I read on here somewhere its pointless to do with a stock bore. I will soon have a HMF slip on and a sparks timing advance key, so my next step would be a cam. I do not want to bore it or change the compression. so would a cam be pointless?

09-29-2008, 09:34 PM
for cams if you dontwant to lose bottom end but you want the extra top end I hear thats what the HRC cam is all about. The way it was designed is to keep the low end power about how it is but it opens up the topend to make it pull up top harder too. A lot of people are going with the stage 2 hotcam, for me thats not my riding style I want the tree stump pulling torque where its real strong off the bottom but still have plenty in the middle and up top so i would choose the stage 1. If you dont want to bore it out or change the piston to higher compression if anything I would think the xr400 cam would be a nice upgrade, a little more agressive than stock but not as much as the aftermarket or HRC cam.

YELLOW_TRX400EX
09-30-2008, 07:49 AM
im a trail ridder and the stage 2 hotcam that i got installed ists no what i really whanted i dont get enough sapace to make it do its job i rather have a stage 1 b/c i whant all the power i need out the hole shot it depends on your still of ridding...

the sparks key its a must its going to better everything!!!!

bigballz400
09-30-2008, 09:26 AM
i got stage 2 and idk bout it I also have a Tc national cam I want to install but dnt know the vacle lash I'm sure its thesame as stage 2 but idk it all depends how you ride your quad and wat you want your quad to do

400ex07
09-30-2008, 05:43 PM
So it sounds like I should get a stage 1 Hotcam. Does anyone know how much compression I will lose with that cam?

YELLOW_TRX400EX
10-01-2008, 10:18 AM
you dont lose or gain any compression by changing the cam......

10-01-2008, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by YELLOW_TRX400EX
you dont lose or gain any compression by changing the cam......

not true. there was a write up on it before showing the different cams and how much you lose from each thats why they should be accompanied by a higher compression piston they say

YELLOW_TRX400EX
10-01-2008, 02:11 PM
thats new to me.......

bigredisb
10-01-2008, 06:43 PM
Higher duration cams can create valve overlap where the intake and exhaust valves are both open momentarily causing a bit of compression loss.
Big cams are just like what we used to do in high school. Buy the biggest peice of crap truck with a small block chevy and buy the biggest flat tapped cam you could get. They sounded tough, idled like crap, and made no power. You need to have the rest of the goodies to be able to support a large cam and we soon figured out that it took more than a intake and headers to support a 500+ lift cam.We sure had a lot of fun!

Its just like you read on here. The guys with big bores, high compression and a ton of other mods can sqeeze every last drop out of a stage 2 and 3 cam.

YELLOW_TRX400EX
10-01-2008, 08:51 PM
i heard thata about that wire... anybody got like a pic that shows what wires is it? i got an 05

YELLOW_TRX400EX
10-01-2008, 08:52 PM
bigredisb thts good info thanks .....