PDA

View Full Version : low budget way to get to and from the track

tants
12-10-2002, 02:14 PM
i went to go watch the races at a local mx track, dimondback.
most people who were racing had huge campers pulling huge enclosed racing trailers. well theres no way i can afford that.
what do you guys recondmend for me to buy to get from and to the track? i have a 96 jeep cherrokee right now, well its my dads but i could use it on race day. anyways should i just buy a cheap 4x8 trailer to pull my R'? or should i get my own older pickup truck or van. im turning 16 right befor the spring racing season and should have my licence when its starts. what do ya recondmend?

MSL
12-10-2002, 02:22 PM
I would get a 4x8 trailor and use dads jeep and save up so you can get a good dependable truck later;)

just my .02

12-10-2002, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by MSL
I would get a 4x8 trailor and use dads jeep and save up so you can get a good dependable truck later;)

just my .02

Yuup..I agree,,I tote my crap in the back of my pickup,,unless I sucker the quadshop to pic me up and then I can put it in their fancy enclosed trailer...:D

AtvMxRider
12-10-2002, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by MSL

just my .02

Texan32
12-10-2002, 02:37 PM
You can get a angle iron framed 4x8 trailer for around 400 bucks new. I got mine from Tractor Supply Co. You can also check your local Menards/Home Depot./Lowe's. They sell 4x8 kit trailers for like 250. You have to put it together yourself and its not quite as sturdy as the 1st one i mentioned, but it'll still work good.

tants
12-10-2002, 03:15 PM
would my 250r fit in a 4x8, because i will have +2 aarms and an
+2 --> +4 axle. :huh
ill probaly just get a trailer like you guys said. snowmobile trailers work good too?

airheadedduner
12-10-2002, 03:17 PM
It will be a tight fit, my R barly fits in my S-10.

kc 300EX
12-10-2002, 03:42 PM
Id go to Home Depot and buy a trailer kit, its pretty cheap, and there are many options/sizes available.

If not.....
I'll pick ya up, I just got my permit last week, gonna sign up for my 5 hour course, and then take the road test, and then Ill be driving, shouldnt be too much longer:D

My mom said something about not wanting me to drive because I have a lead foot or something something?? I couldnt really hear her over the stereo

AtvMxRider
12-10-2002, 03:43 PM
I've got a 4x10 trailer and I have a extended axle and I have to wedge it on the trailer. So I would get one wider if I was you.

tants
12-10-2002, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by kc 300EX
Id go to Home Depot and buy a trailer kit, its pretty cheap, and there are many options/sizes available.

If not.....
I'll pick ya up, I just got my permit last week, gonna sign up for my 5 hour course, and then take the road test, and then Ill be driving, shouldnt be too much longer:D

My mom said something about not wanting me to drive because I have a lead foot or something something?? I couldnt really hear her over the stereo

lmao kc. come pick me up! haha
a snowmobile or a 5x8 trailer would be much beter. anyone know any websites?

Bean
12-10-2002, 05:33 PM
my R barly fits in my Z-71 as well, D@MN U STEPSIDES, get a trailer, ul be good then

Slick
12-11-2002, 10:40 AM
the 4x8 trailer is prolly ur best bet, but one thing about if you put one in a truck, you want to try to find one that has a big enough bed that you dont have to deal with picking the front tires over the fenderwells....we have 2 s-10's and it is really annoying trying to load a 400 in them without a few people helping..in my friend's mom's silverado you jus put it right on in, i couldnt believe how easy it was...then slide it right back out...not the deal with a smaller truck...sorry i am babbling but i am at home for a couple months and cant ride for 6 due to a severe case of mono which made my liver and splene swelled up and inflamed...i am on soo many pills i jus start babbling about things like i am right now LoL, this is how bored i am

tants
12-11-2002, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Slick
the 4x8 trailer is prolly ur best bet, but one thing about if you put one in a truck, you want to try to find one that has a big enough bed that you dont have to deal with picking the front tires over the fenderwells....we have 2 s-10's and it is really annoying trying to load a 400 in them without a few people helping..in my friend's mom's silverado you jus put it right on in, i couldnt believe how easy it was...then slide it right back out...not the deal with a smaller truck...sorry i am babbling but i am at home for a couple months and cant ride for 6 due to a severe case of mono which made my liver and splene swelled up and inflamed...i am on soo many pills i jus start babbling about things like i am right now LoL, this is how bored i am

get beter babbles! lmao
anyways thanks, ill probaly check out a 5x8 trailer

Slick
12-11-2002, 02:13 PM
thx, i am still babbling..i have about 12 pills in me today soo far...im pretty babbly LoL....i am really bored and seeing motocross on tv today made it worse....knowing i cant ride for 6 months..AHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Mity Mo
12-11-2002, 04:04 PM
I have had all the things yous have listed. And I say the best way to do it is a box truck. It sounds expensive but its really not. Ipicked up two this year around 6000 a piece. I made living quarters with showers and a grage in each of them. I even lucked out and got two powerstoke diesels in them. That way you dont have to worry about your stuff at the track and you always have somewhere to sleep. I even outfitted mine with air conditioners and one is getting satellite for next years nationals.

roostin_dale
12-13-2002, 11:04 PM
yea im pretty embarrased when i pull up to the races too! Everyone has giant trailers and crap and i pull up with my 6x12 flatbed single axle trailer with a hand held toolbox and gas tank:D

But the big guys are embarrased when they get beat!

MxDale71
12-15-2002, 09:51 AM
Here's my quad's new ride... The blue and grey one...

Steve-o 400EX
12-15-2002, 12:09 PM
I bought the truck first, then the 4-wheeler, I love my truck its really sweet and my 400 looks awesome in the back of it!:D

nacs400ex
12-15-2002, 02:57 PM
Sweet truck man, what year and model is it ??

Johnny_G
12-15-2002, 04:42 PM
I have this same model, that goes into the reese Reciever on my Tahoe

It works awsome!!!

Cheap too!!!

Ryan
12-15-2002, 04:52 PM
I have seen those before, they look awesome! How come you just never got a trailer? Tell your sponser to buy you a big friggen trailer ;) :huh j/k

MxDale71
12-15-2002, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by Honda300Rider
Sweet truck man, what year and model is it ??

Thanks, It's a 84 Chevy Silverado. It has a 350 in it w/ about 45,000 miles on it.

MX26
12-15-2002, 08:28 PM
Not everybody can afford a box van pal. I've got a 79 Chevy VanDura, but it was free. New 350, Holly 650 carb, Edelbrock valve covers, yadda yadda.

4x8? Heh, that's 48" My R is 49" wide. How's that gonna work? I have a 5x8 trailer and I like it alot. It works well and isn't very heavy.

tants
12-18-2002, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by MX26
Not everybody can afford a box van pal. I've got a 79 Chevy VanDura, but it was free. New 350, Holly 650 carb, Edelbrock valve covers, yadda yadda.

4x8? Heh, that's 48" My R is 49" wide. How's that gonna work? I have a 5x8 trailer and I like it alot. It works well and isn't very heavy.

i plan on getting a 5x8

gun32boarder
12-18-2002, 04:48 PM
its crazy at walden and dimanback but most of them come from ct and the also go to nationals but u feel embarsed going their i pull up in a realy nice pickup but my YZ80 has to hand out of the back cuase my dad has a toolbox and a desil tank and i cant even fit my kx125 in the truck