PDA

View Full Version : NO spark at lower Rpms on 86R Help

250RNUT
09-29-2008, 05:07 PM
Have been trying to figure out why my 86 ATC 250r only has spark at higher rpms? Kicking over by hand pretty hard and has no spark but if I really ream on the kicker and go as hard as I can I have some spark every kick but not very bright. I have checked the harness for breaks,2 coils,2 stators,cleaned all connections and tried with the kill switch(stock) on the bike and completely unhooked. Still the same problem. I dont have a extra cdi to try but I figured if the machine has any spark the cdi is OK.

I have not tried to start bike in current condition.Figured that compression (plug in) will not let me kick bike fast enough to get spark.

Anyone have this problem before or know what the problem might be. Thanks

C-LEIGH RACING
09-29-2008, 06:04 PM
The stock TRX250R ignition system, you got to rotate it at least 750 rpms for it to even produce a spark. You would have to have a mighty strong hand to rotate it that fast.
Neil

2muchquad
09-30-2008, 03:44 AM
i have seen that problem before,tried different stators and rotors,it ended up being the cdi.;)

86 Quad R
09-30-2008, 08:36 AM
neil is correct......

2muchquad
10-01-2008, 03:36 AM
i dunno..i can fire mine up sitting down on the seat,almost kicking it half heartedly like a 125,i doubt it even spins that fast..

mcboomport
10-01-2008, 09:22 AM
Neil's right,
I learned the hard way on this when re-wiring my bike. I could not figure out why I couldn't get spark (I was trying to push it over with my arm). I must have wasted two hours rechecking everything, and it was correct from the beginning.
I finally read more in depth in the manual, and found what Neil was saying. I don't remember it saying 750 RPM, but I'm sure he is correct. Whatever RPM it was, you sure would have had to rail that kick starter with your arm to get spark.

250RNUT
10-01-2008, 10:24 AM
Believe me, I am railing the hell out of it to get spark. But nothing at normal speed. Looks like there is nothing wrong with my trike and I wasted a bunch of time troubleshooting. I guess I will post a question next time before getting frustrated over something that is fine.

Thanks guys, Till next time..........

C-LEIGH RACING
10-01-2008, 12:26 PM
Thing I like about changing over to the CR ignition, you can crank it over with your hand & it will spark.
Neil