PDA

View Full Version : Which brand Bearing carrier?

Kevslatvin
09-28-2008, 10:45 PM
My carrier bearings are on the way out(axle play, squeaking) and I was thinking of just getting a twin row carrier instead of replacing the bearings in the stocker. The billet LSR is more than I can spend right now and I'm not sure about the cast ones. I've seen East Coast ATV carriers on eBay new for $129.00. Burgard Cycles has carriers for $125.00. Anybody know anything about either of these? Both of these say they are billet and they're cheaper than the cast Lonestar. Thanks.

86 Quad R
09-29-2008, 11:10 AM
any of the cast carriers are fine but, if you do lots of jumping and have better than average power i'd suggest the billet.

Kevslatvin
09-29-2008, 05:01 PM
I ride mostly on a mild natural terrain mx track. I looked at the Burgard again and it doesn't say if it's billet or not. Thanks.

BossHogg420
09-29-2008, 08:33 PM
can u just tap a grease fitting into the stock carrier?

drew416ex
09-30-2008, 02:52 PM
The thing is, a regular ball bearing cant take a side load. A twin carrier would be better, but still cant take as much side load as a tapered bearing. I know you are short on money but If you can, get a tapered carrier. Ive had mine for 5 years and absolutely no problems.

440challenger
09-30-2008, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by drew416ex
The thing is, a regular ball bearing cant take a side load. A twin carrier would be better, but still cant take as much side load as a tapered bearing. I know you are short on money but If you can, get a tapered carrier. Ive had mine for 5 years and absolutely no problems.

heard the same thing so i went out and bought a TEAM tapered bearing billet carrier. piece of crap lasted 4 months.
Went and got a 120$ east coast atv dual row i been hammering on it for over a year. put the same one in my girls 400 and they both been excellent

Wildbrain
09-30-2008, 05:25 PM
Drew416ex hit the nail right on the head.

If you can swing it, get yourself a tapered bearing carrier.

If adjusted properly............. It will outlast a single row or dual row carrier by 10 times.

I went through many dual row carriers before switching to the tapered bearings. When I finally spent the bucks on a tapered carrier I have never looked back.

Now all I have to do is change bearings and not shell out the $$$ for a new carrier everytime I need to change my rear axel bearings.

drew416ex
09-30-2008, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by 440challenger
heard the same thing so i went out and bought a TEAM tapered bearing billet carrier. piece of crap lasted 4 months.
Went and got a 120$ east coast atv dual row i been hammering on it for over a year. put the same one in my girls 400 and they both been excellent

Im not to sure about that brand, but if it only lasted 4 months it either wasnt greased properly, not adjusted properly, or both. Do the tapered bearings on your car or truck go out every 4 months? Nope. Because they are adjusted properly and lubricated.

coryatver
09-30-2008, 09:08 PM
I like the RAD carriers they are billet also come in dual row or tapered and have a zerk on the side so you don't have to remove the carrier to get to the zerk. lonestar is over priced.

FYI tapered bearing rob power big time! also they are not sealed and need to be greased and cleaned if ridden in mud often or they will be toast. you also loose some chain adjustment

Kevslatvin
09-30-2008, 11:02 PM
Thanks. Tapered will be more than I can spend. Also I don't want to dump to much into it as I hope to get a 450 in a couple years, unless I end up doing a CRF hybrid build with this one.

drew416ex
10-01-2008, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by coryatver
I like the RAD carriers they are billet also come in dual row or tapered and have a zerk on the side so you don't have to remove the carrier to get to the zerk. lonestar is over priced.

FYI tapered bearing rob power big time! also they are not sealed and need to be greased and cleaned if ridden in mud often or they will be toast. you also loose some chain adjustment

Do you have proof that you lose power. Im not saying you dont lose any but, If adjusted properly, they dont bind. So they dont "rob power big time." My 400 rolls just as easy as when I had regular ball bearings. Since im making 46hp at the rear wheels I would love to see how much Im losing to those tapered bearings. :rolleyes:

Wildbrain
10-02-2008, 11:31 AM
My tapered bearings don't rob my quad of any power at all.

Free rolling is free rolling no matter what kind of bearings you are running.

Also I really enjoy the fact that I am able to pump fresh grease into my rear axel bearings. After all it's a fact that mud and dirt will suck the life out of your bearings. Can't get very much grease into those supposed sealed bearings.

Just the fact that you can't pump any fresh grease into sealed bearings tells me that they will start to deteriate as soon as I install them because I unable to pump out the mud,water and dirt and replace it with fresh lubricating grease.