PDA

View Full Version : injury help and/or advice

liex21
09-28-2008, 07:39 PM
I was riding a dirtbike which i havent done in 4 or 5 years and ended up crashing pretty bad the bikes destroyed and i ended up breaking my feemer which they put a permenant rod in broke ribs collar bone and another bone in my shoulder skapula? (spelling) i also laserated my kidney and ruptured my bladder which they had to operate on this happened sept. 8th and i finally got out of the hospital the 27th over that time i saw so many doctors and they said so many things the main thing affecting me now is my leg i cant put pressure on it for another 3 or 4 weeks i was wondering if anyone else has broken their feemer and/or had a rod put in has it afected you riding in the future? what the recovery was like and how long and just any advice or personal experiences.thank you.

09-29-2008, 07:28 AM
Wow that must of been a hella crash.

I dident break my femur but i did break my tib and fib. Just stick to therapy or do it your self. I was OKed to ride after 3 and half months. But it hurt alot when i landed from the pressure. Your not going to be 100% for a wile. Id say 5-6 months on that leg before you wont feel any pain from riding. Im all healed up only thing i cant move my ankle verymuch compared to my good leg.

As for pressure after 3-4 weeks. Thats alot of bull. You can put pressure but ill tell ya its going to hurt. And i only broke the lower part. the femur one huge bone.

The rest will heel before you even get oked for the leg.

Stevie-D
09-29-2008, 02:18 PM
whatever you do, take it easy and let it heal before going too nuts with it. i took a fall at work bout 2 months ago. drove to work, ended up being flown the the hospital with a broken neck and fractured skull. i've been sitting around my house in a neck brace for 2 months now and i've got another month before i can take it off, even then its uncertain how long til i can return to work. (i'm a self employed contractor, so being out of work with no money coming in is quite the unsettling experience.)

but like i said above, let it heal up before straining it or damaging it. a few extra weeks or months is better than making it worse for the rest of your life

Mellow Yellow
09-29-2008, 06:42 PM
I've had a rod in my left femur since 1983. No problems to report yet. The biggest worry is breaking it again. Apparently breaking a rodded bone can be a b***h to fix. I try not to think about it. I certainly haven't let it stop me from riding.

Warnerade
09-29-2008, 08:37 PM
my buddy broke his femur mid season in 06 and was back to finish the last few races. They put a rod in his and everything too. Granted...he was 16, not sure what your age is.

liex21
10-01-2008, 11:23 AM
thanks for the replys im gonna stick to my physical therapy and just wait till im 100% healed i guess cause i dont wanna hurt myself again then be out for even longer thanks for the advice everyone