PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know what to mod for GT Thunder link?

leasureryan
09-28-2008, 07:12 PM
Says I have to modify the sub-frame and space out my exhaust. I didn't take them seriously, and went to the track. I now have a big dent in my exhaust, and my sub-frame and sprocket nuts are all chewed up from the suspension riding lower. Anyone know exactly how to modify the sub-frame? I can handle spaceing the exhaust, but I just don't see how you can mod the subframe without cutting a section out and rewelding an inch to the left.

Any ideas?

09-28-2008, 07:16 PM
raise the airbox 1/2" i believe too. I am curious too about the subframe. I kept looking at it and wondering how its possible to modify it. The sproket nuts look like they would clear it but i guess not

leasureryan
09-28-2008, 08:09 PM
Nope. they catch the last 1/8" on the nut...maybe less, but it still cannot be let go.

09-28-2008, 08:12 PM
what about getting a shorter bolt or nut? grind some off so it clears? How far out does the exhaust need to be spaced out also?

leasureryan
09-28-2008, 08:27 PM
It barely hits the pipe. Maybe toss a 1/4" spacer behind it and it will be fine

leasureryan
09-28-2008, 08:28 PM
the nut grinding thing is not going to work. Go out and look at your sprocket....there isn't much to work with.....it's gonna have to be the sub frame

09-28-2008, 08:33 PM
i just looked and I dont see why you cant take off some of the nut piece or w/e sticking out of the sprocket.

leasureryan
09-28-2008, 09:48 PM
for 1...I don't advocate jew rigging anything at all. If it is worth doing....it is worth doing correctly. I think trying to grind down 6 nuts mounted on countersuck allen bolts is going to be much more difficult, unsafe, and time consuming than what a subframe mod would be. My back sproket strength is not something I think should be compromised. I will be in contact with GT Thunder in the morning. I'll update when I know more

BossHogg420
09-28-2008, 10:05 PM
maybe hit the sids of the sub frame with an angle grinder i have the link and my sub frame doesnt rub. had a race today and the subframe is fine. although i do think my airbox hit once today!

mooseracerX
09-29-2008, 06:27 AM
If I got the MX link with my Axis would anything hit? I have an aluminum airbox which hangs down less I think.

flauge
09-29-2008, 04:37 PM
Mine hasn't hit yet either and Iv'e had mine for about 2 years. Maybe I'm not ridin' hard enough...lol:o

leasureryan
09-29-2008, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by flauge
Mine hasn't hit yet either and Iv'e had mine for about 2 years. Maybe I'm not ridin' hard enough...lol:o

That must be it!

They say if you do not bottom out on the biggest jump you hit, your suspension isn't tuned right, and you are not using you shocks to thier full potential.

09-29-2008, 06:52 PM
I see a possible fix. Alrighty so after looking at the subframe for a few minutes I thought. The only part that looks like it would hit is where it comes down for the battery then back up to be parallel with the other side running into the grab bar. Well if you cut and welded some tubing so both sides of the subframe are parallel and straight I dont think it would hit. You would probally have to relocate the battery but thats all i got out of looking at it as a solution.

BossHogg420
09-29-2008, 08:23 PM
ok so i take back my earlier post after cleaning today i noticed where when i bottomed my sproket bolts hit the subframe right where hondarider was talking about...although its just a couple nicks and i dont see it being a problem anymore so i wouldnt worry about it!

leasureryan
09-29-2008, 08:51 PM
dude....I rode for 2 hrs total and my subframe and sprocket nuts are chewed the **** up! I may even have trouble removing the nuts....there is no way I can just "not worry about it".

flauge
09-29-2008, 10:17 PM
You know, I bet this is why my old Wb E-series starting falling apart... I never really thought about that until now. I think I'm going to check my subframe tomorrow just to make sure.
Even though I've never bottomed out my rear shock I guess that doesn't mean that it could still be coming in contact.

09-30-2008, 03:07 PM
Q"Is there a MX and XC link for the 400ex? Also what needs to be done and how much? The airbox needs to be raised a 1/2 inch, the exhaust needs to be spaced out, and the subframe needs to be modified. How far does the exhaust need to be spaced out and what needs to be done to the subframe?

Thanks, Brad"

A"Take your shocks off you quad and set your frame down to 1.5 inches off the ground and you can see what is hitting and what needs to be modified.

LS"

leasureryan
09-30-2008, 05:27 PM
the question isn't WHAT needs to be modified.....the question is HOW??????

I want it to be correst....so taking an angle grinder to the frame is out of the question. It can't look like it is "rigged" "afro engineered" whatever or however you want to look at it. If a section of the subframe needs to be cut out and rewelded, then that is what I want to hear. I have yet to be in contact with GTT, but I have the day off tomarrow to get the low down then

09-30-2008, 06:11 PM
well the cut and weld it straight seems like the best option. I got mine lowered to sit the frame on a 2x4 (1-1/2" x 2-1/2"). The exhaust doesnt need much to clear the caliper with the HMF. The only thing that concerns me is bottoming out now and how to nig rig, jimmy rig, ghetto rig the subframe lol. I hate to start chopping my subframe and possbily weaken it. Then I need a place for the battery. But the bottoming out concern... if your frame bottoms out 1.5" above the ground and the ground is almost never perfectly flat... you will be bashing it off of things and even if there is a small rock or something on the landing then you will be smashing it. Hitting the ground with your frame is deffinately going to weaken and crack it. How do the XC guys manage if theirs goes that low with the link suspension bottomed out? MX I can see how but XC? My riding is a mix of both. Can they put larger bumpers on or something?

leasureryan
09-30-2008, 08:12 PM
they are tuff links.....A buddy of mine has raced the GNCC circute for a while and has only broken 1 of them....but they do take one hell of a beating. In XC, you don't really ever bottom your shocks out, so if you never ever hit MX track...I don't think it would ever be a problem....but the instant you use 100% of that shock travel.....it WILL do some damge! Not much....but enough to irritate someone who is anal about thier equipment

09-30-2008, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by leasureryan
they are tuff links.....A buddy of mine has raced the GNCC circute for a while and has only broken 1 of them....but they do take one hell of a beating. In XC, you don't really ever bottom your shocks out, so if you never ever hit MX track...I don't think it would ever be a problem....but the instant you use 100% of that shock travel.....it WILL do some damge! Not much....but enough to irritate someone who is anal about thier equipment

you mean the only damage is the subframe hitting the bolts correct? my quad is sitting in the garage now 1.5" off the ground until tomorrow. it looks so weird being that low since my nerfbars a little bent they are so close to hittng the ground lol I keep emailing Laz to get some questions answered. i am going ot ask how much more travel the link gives you

coryatver
09-30-2008, 08:36 PM

I had the xc link on my 400 with a hmf exhuast. It was touching the exhuast barely but scratching it so i put a washer on it but I never had any problems with the subframe.

also xc riders never bottom there shocks! are you kidding me!! There are some really hard hits on a xc course and usually most courses include a mx track. Also if you have a question for laz you could try asking him on quad zone

09-30-2008, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by coryatver
I had the xc link on my 400 with a hmf exhuast. It was touching the exhuast barely but scratching it so i put a washer on it but I never had any problems with the subframe.

also xc riders never bottom there shocks! are you kidding me!! There are some really hard hits on a xc course and usually most courses include a mx track. Also if you have a question for laz you could try asking him on quad-zone

on the MX tracks they seem to sissy jump the bigger jumps. I ride a mix some say I ride more MX. As long as it bottoms out on a jump and not a trail were there is obstacles like rocks, ruts, and roots/stumps.

coryatver
09-30-2008, 08:47 PM
not sure what you are saying there but with the xc link I definitly bottomed out sometimes. If you don't bottom out at least once a lap that means your shocks are to stiff and your not using all the travel. I also did indoor mx and i suck so i was not landing right and landing hard a few times smashing my shocks and never had any problems with subframe clearance.

The pro xc racers definitly do not sissy jump mx tracks in fact some of them could beat a lot of the top mx guys bill ballance got 3rd at the espn great outdoor games in 05 against the best mx racers in the nation and chris borich trains with john natalie in the winter there is a vid on here of them racing and chris is holding his own.

09-30-2008, 08:50 PM
why is the MX link different? Does the MX link not have as much travel because its used with 18" tires?

flauge
09-30-2008, 09:00 PM
they are tuff links.....A buddy of mine has raced the GNCC circute for a while and has only broken 1 of them....but they do take one hell of a beating. In XC, you don't really ever bottom your shocks out, so if you never ever hit MX track...I don't think it would ever be a problem....but the instant you use 100% of that shock travel.....it WILL do some damge! Not much....but enough to irritate someone who is anal about thier equipment I was just about to ask you guys what kind of riding yall did.. xc for me, and almost all the tracks dont have any jumps either except for maybe a few kickers and whatnot.
All I ever noticed to bottom out is my revalved 450r fronts and thats probably because their shock bodies are a tad bit longer.
I still didn't get a chance to check my subframe today, I'll try to get to it tomorrow.

leasureryan
09-30-2008, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
why is the MX link different? Does the MX link not have as much travel because its used with 18" tires?

it has nothing at all to do with travel. same shock = same travel. It has to do with ride height. It sits lower on the xc link than the mx link

10-01-2008, 08:18 AM
so wouldnt that mean the MX link doesnt hang down as low and the frame wont be as cloe to the ground when it botoms out vs the XC link?

leasureryan
10-01-2008, 08:42 AM
yes...that is exactly what it means. I wanted my quad slammed though...and now I have to mod because of that

10-01-2008, 01:59 PM
I rather have the MX link then. my subframe probally wont hit then and i might be able to use my skid plate

flauge
10-01-2008, 04:29 PM
I looked at my subframe today and I noticed that its got a flat spot ground down right where yall were talking about. My sprocket bolts look fine tho. I guess I'll have to take the shock off and move the swinger to see if its still touching. Who knows, maybe it ground itself down to where it doesn't hit now.:p

Brauap
11-18-2008, 01:18 PM
Sorry for brining this thread back from the dead..

Quick question..

"it has nothing at all to do with travel. same shock = same travel. It has to do with ride height. It sits lower on the xc link than the mx link"

So does the XC link make the rear sit higher? Also, does anyone have any pictures of the "dents" on the swinger..? Also, what if you just get your subframe heated up with a tortch (red hot) and just tap it in sum with a hammer so it will be out of the way? It should make it weaker, or would it?

powermadd400ex
11-18-2008, 01:19 PM
lower

Brauap
11-18-2008, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by powermadd400ex
lower

Thats dumb! Why (if you race XC or ride on trails) would you want it lower?!

powermadd400ex
11-18-2008, 02:11 PM
:rolleyes:
it lowers the quads center of gravity, it doesnt affect clearance at all. the linkage hangs a wee bit lower than stock but not much.

Brauap
11-18-2008, 02:15 PM
So say if I have 22" fronts and 22" rears so the frame is just about parallel to the ground, and then I add this link, the rear won't be tipped down some? Like it stays the same hight but just the linkage is lower?

soonerdude77
11-18-2008, 02:29 PM
I'm pretty sure that ride height isn't the only thing the link is made to change, It also softens the shock up so that it rides smoother over the bumps. Not sure exactly how, I guess it has something to do with the angle it puts the shock at and the leverage put on it etc.

powermadd400ex
11-18-2008, 02:31 PM
"it puts the shock in its optimum postion point"

11-18-2008, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by powermadd400ex
"it puts the shock in its optimum postion point"

off-topic, but get those arms on and take some pics:devil:

And brauap, no it does not lower the ground clearance.

It kind of makes the link a little lower to the shock has to come down more to bolt onto it, but the body is then going down. For a lower center of gravity. It doesn't affect ground clearance.

powermadd400ex
11-18-2008, 02:44 PM
i wouldve already had them on but daddio wants me to wait till he can "supervise me" lmao

lilyamaharacer4
11-18-2008, 02:54 PM
All your doing is hooking up a arms its not like its rocket science.

11-18-2008, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by lilyamaharacer4
All your doing is hooking up a arms its not like its rocket science.

yeah but some parents are just like that. Being older they feel why mod it? Just leave it alone. And dont like kids messin with the stuff.

Im gonna try to apply for a job and buy a set of those arms.

powermadd400ex
11-18-2008, 03:10 PM
yea my dad is the " my way or **** you" type. so its best to go with the flow.
they are nice! its the whole front end minus the shocks.

BlasterEaten250
11-18-2008, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by DMC-4OOEX
yeah but some parents are just like that. Being older they feel why mod it? Just leave it alone. And dont like kids messin with the stuff.

Im gonna try to apply for a job and buy a set of those arms. off topic, but your pm box is full.

11-18-2008, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by BlasterEaten250
off topic, but your pm box is full.

oops. Ill try to clean it out real quick.

11-18-2008, 03:21 PM
cleared

11-18-2008, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by DMC-4OOEX
[B]yeah but some parents are just like that. Being older they feel why mod it? Just leave it alone. And dont like kids messin with the stuff.[B]

my dad: "why mod it, whats it going to do for you?" i explain what it does and how i will benefit. "do what you want"

my mom: "dont tell me your buying more parts for that stupid thing. what are you spending your money on now what are you buying for it?" dont get too technical explaining because it wont go anywhere.

my brother: "thats stupid i bet some idiot on those forums told you to do it , they dont know anything on there" i try to explain it but everything i do my brother is convinced it wont do a thing or its crap and doesnt see why I did it. when he rode my quad with the everything I had done he didnt want to get off. he always wants to ride it even though he has a 400ex with an HMF and K&N too. I know he likes it he just doesnt want to admit it lol

Brauap
11-18-2008, 05:03 PM
FoxHondaRider, that is how my dad is.. he doesn't think you guys know anything! When I tell them, "they said it had to be..." he replys quickly "Who said it had to be...." but like it was like the Clymers.. lol

But I have to admit, he was right about alot of things, like I should have cut the fender, try to put the batery in the air box, ect. ect. .. But if he thinks I know what I am talking about and he knows I won't listen, he will just say, "Go ahead!" thinking I will learn the hard way, which I have.. By 400 when I bought it a year ago was soo nice, clean, pretty much perfectly MINT! But I had to go and ruin it, and look where it is now, a rebuild, 1 YR LATER! I wish I would have listen to him 1.2 the times!

400ex07
03-29-2009, 05:40 PM
Has any one figured out how to modify the sub frame to stop the bolts from hitting? I just got my shock back from gt thunder and I hit it the sub frame with the bolts at least once.

mooseracerX
03-29-2009, 06:15 PM
Like this?

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t296/racequad450/Subframe_frame004.jpg

400ex07
03-29-2009, 09:01 PM
I knew that was an option, but what airbox do you use that holds the battery and won't hit the rear brake caliper? The aluminum boxes I see on E-bay look like they will get hit by the caliper. Is there any way to do it and still keep the battery in the same position? I was thinking abut trying to pull on the spot that it hits to bend it out a little.

03-29-2009, 09:07 PM
I like the mounting the battery up front idea

Gibson
03-29-2009, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by mooseracerX
Like this?

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t296/racequad450/Subframe_frame004.jpg

that's what i plan on doin to mine, i've moved my battery under my headlights so i have no need for any mounts, and another thing to watch out for with the GTT link is your exhaust will make contact with your axle i have a nice dent in my muffler from over-shooting a couple of jumps/

03-29-2009, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by Gibson
that's what i plan on doin to mine, i've moved my battery under my headlights so i have no need for any mounts, and another thing to watch out for with the GTT link is your exhaust will make contact with your axle i have a nice dent in my muffler from over-shooting a couple of jumps/

damn thats crazy if your exhaust hits. do you have a exhaust thats straight out like the LRD or E-Series or something elliptical?

Gibson
03-29-2009, 10:25 PM
i have an e-series slip on, i have a 1" spacer on my exhaust so my caliper doesnt hit it, but it still hits just a little bit

400ex07
03-30-2009, 05:56 PM
Do you think the CFM aluminum air box will get smashed by my brake caliper? Here are some pictures of the air box http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CFM-Honda-TRX400EX-400EX-Aluminum-Airbox-Air-Box-Intake_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1205Q7c66Q 3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a1Q7c29 3Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZi tem260381601658QQitemZ260381601658QQptZOtherQ5fVeh icleQ5fParts