PDA

View Full Version : bearing carrier

BlaineKaiser450
09-28-2008, 06:57 PM
would it be better to rebuild mine, or just get a new one? How is a twin row better? thanks

d3ktrix
09-28-2008, 08:31 PM
OEM Honda jap bearings will last longer then almost anything aftermarket.

Stay away from the unbranded carriers from ebay even if there from eastcoast/gibson.
I went through 3 of them in a VERY short time. Thank god they at least stood behind their warranty. But not worth the hassle of switching them out every few rides -_-

I'm currently running an RPM. Only been in there about 5 rides so far though, to too early to tell.
Though one thing I did notice about it right after I installed and tighened the lock nut down, compared to the no-name carriers is it spun MUCH better. The no-name one almost seemed like it needed to break it, was very stiff at first.

Pretty much all of them are either twin row or double wide bearings.
If you don't mind spending a little more, you can get one that use roller bearings. They are supposed to last forever if you take care of them. Can't make them as tight as the normal bearings though.

If the RPM doesn't hold up I will rebuild my OEM carrier with Honda bearings.

4fiddytrx
09-28-2008, 08:35 PM
well to rebuild costs about $50 and a new one is about $200-300. a twin row will last long and most after market twin row come with a grease zerk so you can slide it out and grease it up

d3ktrix
09-28-2008, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by 4fiddytrx
well to rebuild costs about $50 and a new one is about $200-300. a twin row will last long and most after market twin row come with a grease zerk so you can slide it out and grease it up

$50 if u use the cheap aftermarket rebuild kits that use China bearings.
Last time I looked it up on motorsport its about $100-120 for all the original Honda bearings and seals.

RPM twin row carriers are like $180. $160 if u know a dealer.
Motosport also sells a decent twin row LSR carrier for $170. A few of my friend have been using that one for a while, all good so far.
Most of the carriers that cost 200+ use roller bearings.

And IMO the grease jerk is a waste, the bearings are sealed anyway. No extra grease will go in or out of them.

PUREBREED450R
09-30-2008, 10:13 AM
DUAL ROW! DUAL ROW CARRIERS ARE THE BEST WAY TO GO! AND I AGREE WITH NOT BUYING THE CHEAP "BILLET TWIN ROWS OFF EBAY" GET A GOOD NAME BRAND ONE, IF YOU LOOK HARD ENOUGH YOU CAN FIND A GOOD DEAL ON ONE THAT WILL LAST. REBUILDING A STOCK ONE IS OK, BUT IF RACING....A STOCK CARRIER HAS A VERY VERY SHORT LIFE DESPITE BEARING AGE. ROCK A TWIN ROW, DOUBLE THE SUPPORT ON THE INNER PART OF YOUR SWINGARM AND CARRIER AS WELL AS ON THE OUTER ENDS OF THE AXLE, WEATHER IT BE A STOCK ONE OR A +4 THAT YOUR RACE ON. TWIN ROW CARRIE, ZERK FITTING, TIGHT AXLE= QUALITY RIDE!!! GOOD LUCK!!

LITTLE STORY....I WAS RIDING IN CROOMS(BROOKSVILLE FL) WAS RIPPING TRAILS AND CAUGHT MY RIGHT REAR TIRE ON A TREE, BENDING MY AXLE LIKE A BOOMERANG, AT THE END OF THE TRAIL THERE IS A LITTLE STORE THAT ACTUALLY HAD A DURABLE AXLE THAT CAME WITH A ALUMINUM SPROCKET HUB. I INSTALLED THE DURABLUE IN A STOCK CARRIER AND RODE THE REST OF THE WEEKEND NO PROBS. WENT TO A PRATICE TRACK CLOSE BY, 2 LAPS IN NOT ONLY DID MY +4 AXLE DESTROY MY CARRIER, BUT THE DOPE ALUMNIUM SPROCKET HUB THAT CAME ON MY AXLE WAS RUINED ALSO, 60 OR 80 SUM BUCKS LATER STEEL DURABLE SPROCKET HUB,~~~~~ AND A NEW TWIN CARRIER TREATED ME GOOD TILL THIS DAY!~~~TWIN ROW IS THE WAY TO GO! SAVE YOURSELF THE MONEY FOR REPLACEMENT PARTS THAT WILL FAR EXCEED THE PRICE OF A TWIN ROW CARRIER!