PDA

View Full Version : need hotcam install help

supernatural
09-28-2008, 02:56 PM
i bought a stage 1 off ebay and need the directions to install. contacted hotcams twice but link did not work. i know how to take apart and put in just need to know if i have to adjust vavles or anything else. i found the link to little sahara on the install, am i missing anything? as long as i do "tdc" during removal is it really just a true bolt on? any real world info would be great thank you in advance. i have a sparks ignition advance so i know i have to check tdc through spark plug.

drew416ex
09-28-2008, 03:10 PM
yeah just get it on tdc, put it in lobes facing down, and set the valves at .005 and .006 and you will be good to go.

flauge
09-28-2008, 03:25 PM
The little sahara instructions are good, thats what I went by. Also, you might need 3 hands at one point in the install. One to keep the tensioner turned back and the other two to put the cam in. I did'nt take out the cam chain tensioner tho so it might be different for some people.:cool:

ohsobad_chevy
09-28-2008, 03:31 PM
You won't need 3 hands if you remove the cam chain tensioner, but remember to zip tie it good. Don't wanna have to go fishin' for it in the bottom end. :eek2:

hypersnyper6947
09-29-2008, 01:35 PM
yes take the cam tensioner off it makes it easier. When you put it in TDC you will have to turn it again to get to the bolts on the cam sprocket, just make sure to put it back to TDC before u take it off. Also zip tie the cam chain to the cam sprocket and you wont have to worry about time, as long as you put it back to TDC of coarse. Also take note where the bearings are they are different, and dont torque your valve cover bolts to much the strip out real easy, and loosen the big center bolt first when taking the valve cover off. Its real easy you should have no problem

supernatural
10-01-2008, 04:02 PM
because i have the timing advance do i still install the cam with the lobes down or will it change do to having to check tdc through the spark plug?

lilyamaharacer4
10-01-2008, 04:10 PM
Stick a screw driver down through the spark plug hole then turn the motor over by the flywheel with a wrench TDC is where the piston is at its highest point, so where it pushes the screw driver out the highest is TDC.

ohsobad_chevy
10-01-2008, 04:27 PM
Keep in mind, there are 2 TDC's. ;)

supernatural
10-01-2008, 04:52 PM
i can get tdc but do the lobes still go 100% down since tdc is checked through the spark plug instead of the usual place, or are they offset a little due to the advanced ignition. by two tdc do you mean when the cam lobes face up they will be the same as when they face down?

bigredisb
10-01-2008, 06:09 PM
Dont worry about the key. The key only advances your IGNITION timing not the physical Valve Train Timing. The only thing that people get screwed up on with the key is determining TDC off the mark on the side of the flywheel. Like you said before you determine TDC with a key by the spark plug hole.

supernatural
10-02-2008, 09:05 AM
standing on the right side of the quad looking down which one is .005 and which is.006?

katch26
10-02-2008, 10:17 AM
the intake will be on the carb side the exhaust on the exhaust side

hotcams is .005(in)/.006 (ex)

supernatural
10-02-2008, 03:07 PM
thank you for the help. gonna tackle this tonight or tomorrow