PDA

View Full Version : Removing A-arms from spindles?

Moded86R
12-10-2002, 10:37 AM
Recently I purchased a complete 300ex front end.The A-arms are still conected to the spindles.I Am going to swap some 400ex A-arms on the spindles and want to know how I can remove the A-arms from the spindles.WITHOUT RUINING THE BALLJOINTS.Sure I can take a pickle fork and bust them right off.Or I can heat them up and ruin the rubber peices.I want to not hurt them

Also does anyone know if I can replace the ball joint in a set of stock 250r A-arms?

Thanks.

12-10-2002, 10:42 AM
if ya use the pickle fork ...this may cut the boots ..
And heating up can be risky also ..
I have replaced ball joints..In stock R
a- arms welding in a sleeve the arms to accept aftermarket balljoints ..

Doibugu2
12-10-2002, 10:44 AM
I just did that a week or so, we just used a big iron bar and they poped right out. But using the pickle fork would make more sense.

Moded86R
12-10-2002, 10:47 AM
I have a air chisel with a pickel fork on it.When I swapped my JD-performance A-arms on my R that is how I did.The thing is I ripped the boots on the ball joints and ruined them.I would like to use these A-arms because they are adjustable and I already have them and could use the cash else where.If not I will be buying new 400ex one's.So either way.I just don't want to ruin these 300ex one's.

Doibugu2
12-10-2002, 10:57 AM
Just lift up the boot, stick the pry bar in there and lift up. They will pop out. Trust me. Just be careful and go slow.

MX440exracer
12-10-2002, 02:31 PM
The easiest and best way to do it with out ruining your ball joints or the boots is as follows:

Remove the nut from the ball joint stud that goes through the spindle. Grab a decent hammer, not a rubber mallet, you need the shock from the metal to metal contact. Turn the wheel out so you have a direct shot at the side of the spindle. You want to hit the spindle right below the ball joint (for uppers, above for lowers). Image trying to drill a hole through the spindle to get to the ball joint stud inside the spindle. Hit it right where you would start to drill. It's tough to explain. Pull up on the a-arm as you smack the spindle. With a couple of good hits, it will pop right out. You might want to try some liquid wrench to penetrate bewteen the stud and spindle. Trust me it works. I have taken apart so many front ends when setting castor and camber it's not even funny. I will try to post a pic of the spindle for you so it is more clear.

It will only slightly mark your spindle so don't worry about destroying that.

Good luck!!

MX440exracer
12-10-2002, 02:38 PM
Here is the picture!

Good Luck

swamprider7
12-10-2002, 07:33 PM
I just removed a-arms from spindles tonight. The best method is by using a socket as a spacer and loosening the nut against the socket. Does not damage anything. LOOK IN THE FAQ COLUMN AND IT WILL EXPLAIN THIS METHOD. DO NOT USE A PICKLE FORK! YOU WILL RUIN YOUR BOOTS!

outlaw319
12-10-2002, 09:39 PM
Remove the nut from the ball joint stud that goes through the spindle. Grab a decent hammer, not a rubber mallet, you need the shock from the metal to metal contact. Turn the wheel out so you have a direct shot at the side of the spindle.

That is the way i do mine all the time! 1 or 2 raps with the hammer and they fall right out.