PDA

View Full Version : Uh-oh, was this a mistake?

2old2race
09-27-2008, 03:16 PM
I being excited about the 2006 Outlaw I am picking up Monday have been reading some reviews and it appears the '06 may be a clunker?!
I am not looking to race but mainly trail ride and hill climb. The IRS sounds to be great, exccpt it sunds as it also makes the quad want to bicycle.
Plus, it sounds as if the 500 suffers from poor low end.

I would be looking to get a new silencer and some nerfs, but that is about it.

So, in selling my ex (runs excellently) for an 06 Outlaw...am I setting myself up for disappointment?

BTW, the Outlaw is from a dealership for $3500 in almost brand new condition. I don't want to put more than that into a recreational quad at this time.

Please let me know guys. I pick it up Monday.

coryatver
09-27-2008, 03:27 PM
the newer outlaws have the ktm 525 motor in them which 10 times better of a motor that is why you have heard that. I personally wouldn't waste my time with the 500 fuj motor look for one with the ktm!

dynofox
09-27-2008, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by 2old2race
I being excited about the 2006 Outlaw I am picking up Monday have been reading some reviews and it appears the '06 may be a clunker?!
I am not looking to race but mainly trail ride and hill climb. The IRS sounds to be great, exccpt it sunds as it also makes the quad want to bicycle.
Plus, it sounds as if the 500 suffers from poor low end.

I would be looking to get a new silencer and some nerfs, but that is about it.

So, in selling my ex (runs excellently) for an 06 Outlaw...am I setting myself up for disappointment?

BTW, the Outlaw is from a dealership for $3500 in almost brand new condition. I don't want to put more than that into a recreational quad at this time.

Please let me know guys. I pick it up Monday.

The 525 powered outlaws are more powerful and lighter but for what you plan on using the quad for the 500 should be just fine. The 500 will feel a lot more powerful than your current 400ex does.

2old2race
09-27-2008, 05:54 PM
Thats what I was thinking.
It is still going to be an improvement over my ex. Suspension wise it will be amazing!

OutlawBill
09-27-2008, 06:50 PM
Just go too the HMF site and get the fender brace kit's too save your plastics and the seat clip too keep you seat on.

2old2race
09-27-2008, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by coryatver
the newer outlaws have the ktm 525 motor in them which 10 times better of a motor that is why you have heard that. I personally wouldn't waste my time with the 500 fuj motor look for one with the ktm!
Seriously I want to know...how is this?
Why is is it such a better motor?
And how much more is a KTM Outlaw going to cost?

For me $3500 seemed a good deal. ?????

For much more, I may as well buy new. But unless I'm racing...would i notice????

2old2race
09-27-2008, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by OutlawBill
Just go too the HMF site and get the fender brace kit's too save your plastics and the seat clip too keep you seat on.
Yeah, the whole seat thing wa worrying me!

nytfr8
09-27-2008, 07:29 PM
The seat thing is not that big of a deal. Yes, it sucks that you have to add a clip but not that big of a deal. Go to the hardware store and buy a hitch pin "R" clip for about 50 cents and you won't have a problem. Put in a better flowing airfilter and add a pipe and I think it would be pretty good for what you are wanting to do. There are some other mods you can do to the carb to make it work better and add a Dyna or Vortex CDI and it will also wake it up quite a bit. But just adding the intake and pipe will be the best add on you can do.

coryatver
09-27-2008, 07:54 PM
Seriously I want to know...how is this?
Why is is it such a better motor?
And how much more is a KTM Outlaw going to cost?

For me $3500 seemed a good deal. ?????

For much more, I may as well buy new. But unless I'm racing...would i notice????

even if your not racing you will notice has a lot less power and more wieght than the newer outlaw. You wanted to know where the "no low end grunt" and "clunker" things you were hearing come from and I just let you know. 3,500 is not a bad deal but it could be better. You just have to live with knowing the newer model is a lot improved and a lot more of a bike and if you are fine with buying it and knowing that then go for it. I will say I have spent some time on the fuj outlaw and the power difference between it and a 400ex is noticable but not huge and it will take you a while to get used to the IRS.

2old2race
09-27-2008, 08:41 PM
No, seriously..thats cool.
I am in no way saying you don't know what you are talking about. I am the one in the dark.
I just always wanted a 'black outlaw'. lol
The new white and red or red and white just don't appeal to me. The 09 with the KTM look REALLY doesn't work for me at all!
So, I am thinking to get the quad I have heard guys brag about.
Is there a black outlaw with a KTM that is better? If not, then all the guys on 'black' outlaws that I have met have been really pleased.
I am just hoping I don't hop on this quad and feel completely depressed that it was nothing more than my EX.
Thanks though for all the input.

2old2race
09-27-2008, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by coryatver
even if your not racing you will notice has a lot less power and more wieght than the newer outlaw. You wanted to know where the "no low end grunt" and "clunker" things you were hearing come from and I just let you know. 3,500 is not a bad deal but it could be better. You just have to live with knowing the newer model is a lot improved and a lot more of a bike and if you are fine with buying it and knowing that then go for it. I will say I have spent some time on the fuj outlaw and the power difference between it and a 400ex is noticable but not huge and it will take you a while to get used to the IRS.
So, you are saying the power difference is noticeable but not huge? And I will have to get used to the IRS which they all have?
I don't need a racer, just a good trail quad that is noticeably better than a 400ex. lol!

coryatver
09-27-2008, 08:54 PM
I don't know what your definition of "noticably better" is only you can decide that. For a trail bike 400ex is tough to beat. If you are just looking for a change than the outlaw is definitly a way different feeling ride but it pretty much has the same kind of smooth mellow powerband like the 400 compared to say a 450 or the outlaw with ktm 525.

how about you test ride it and see for yourself what you think

Rkangel7
09-27-2008, 09:00 PM
I believe the 07 outlaws were offered in black with the KTM motor.

2old2race
09-27-2008, 09:00 PM
O.K., so I guess I am as confused as you now!
I am just saying, by selling my quad for (say) $2500 and spening another grand for the 06 Outlaw= good choice?
I will probably keep this for another year or two before trading.
I like to baby my quads- sell them- move on.
My Big Dog is the longest I have kept anything!

somewon
09-27-2008, 09:06 PM
the 500 Fuji motor is pretty much the same motor they used in the Predator, so it's not bad at all, it just doesn't have the big power the KTM motor will put out. I wouldn't be upset with the 500 motor for trail riding, it is actually pretty underrated for what it is.

In 2007 the outlaw came in a 500 fuji and a 525 ktm (both had black plastic, the big difference was the color of the seat (grey for the 500 I think and black for the 525) plus the stickers were different.

I wouldn't be too concerened with two wheeling, mine does it less than my 400ex did, but it does "push" through corners more. comming off a 400ex the seat height will be noticably different, and the IRS will act a little different in the way it wants to do hard corners and off camber trails (like with big rocks). Once you get used to IRS you won't want anything else.

Old Outlaw
09-28-2008, 08:06 AM
Razr II's help a lot with getting rid of the push.

2old2race
09-28-2008, 08:15 AM
I'm actually really happy with the Kenda Klaw's I have on my EX. I have never heard much about the Dunlop's that come stock on the Outlaw. ?????

You know, with the seat thing, my son's 08 Outlaw 90 has the bracket in the middle of the seat. But, I always check it twice because it still has a lot of sideways motion.
On my EX, the seat/fenders mount real tight.

Something to get used to I guess. So, I'm pretty excited to get this thing now. It sounds as for what I do, this quad will be better than what my EX has been. For me, it is mainly about the suspension. And i have read the 06 Outlaw will hold its own against a 450R?! Thats not too bad!!!

When Polaris goes back to a black Outlaw, I may then trade this one in. lol

SSJEFF
09-29-2008, 06:23 AM
So, you are saying the power difference is noticeable but not huge? And I will have to get used to the IRS which they all have?
I don't need a racer, just a good trail quad that is noticeably better than a 400ex. lol!

You will be fine on the 500. I have had 2 500s and now on a 525. I liked my 500 but the 525 is just faster and I am into racing. My buddy bought my last 500.

These mods will wake it up, EHS lid, aftermerket air filter, I like the HMF full sport exhaust but the last one I had just had the Muzzy slip on, The dyna fs cdi will give it more top end with the highest adv curve, a jet kit, and last but not least if you can afford to Get the shocks revalved and sprung to your weight and riding style.

This quad is a great trail quad and you could even race it if you wanted.

2old2race
09-29-2008, 02:08 PM
Thanks for the input!
Yeah, I just stopped by the shop I deal to order Moose nerfs and Powermadds.
He is quite familiar with the Outlaws and says the Fuji motor is more reliable and easier to maintian! He said for trail riding, this quad will be very nice.
So, WOW...some additional words of encouragement!

He also mentioned that a lot of guys keep the stock silencer on and just change the tip which allows more airflow. Think I'll check into that!

SSJEFF
09-29-2008, 04:43 PM
to be honest, I think both the KTM and fuji are reliable. The KTM takes more filters for the oil change and holds less oil so changes should be done mopre frequently. The KTM is way easier to adjust the valves.

bossman525
09-29-2008, 07:12 PM
Thanks for the input!
Yeah, I just stopped by the shop I deal to order Moose nerfs and Powermadds.
He is quite familiar with the Outlaws and says the Fuji motor is more reliable and easier to maintian! He said for trail riding, this quad will be very nice.
So, WOW...some additional words of encouragement!

He also mentioned that a lot of guys keep the stock silencer on and just change the tip which allows more airflow. Think I'll check into that!
i had a 2003 predator with the 500 fuji motor and my buddies son has a 06 predator 500. his is jetted with a pure polaris pipe k&n filter and dropped a tooth in the front sprocket, and that thing is dam fast. the 500 outlaw dont weigh that much more then the predator. for what you are going to do i would put an hfm slip on on it, jet it, put a k&n filter in it and drop a tooth on the front sprocket and it will keep up with anything on the trails. dropping a tooth will help it big time.

2old2race
09-30-2008, 06:28 AM
Thanks!
How about the silencer tip?
The stock pipe actually sounds pretty good. I see you can buy these tips that contain a larger opening. I would probablt get one of the nicer polished ones fopr $45. It appears there is no need to change the jetting, but the larger opening helps move more exhaust.
Question is- would this decrease torque for slightly more horsepower?
Thanks.

SSJEFF
09-30-2008, 07:17 AM
Thanks!
How about the silencer tip?
The stock pipe actually sounds pretty good. I see you can buy these tips that contain a larger opening. I would probablt get one of the nicer polished ones fopr $45. It appears there is no need to change the jetting, but the larger opening helps move more exhaust.
Question is- would this decrease torque for slightly more horsepower?
Thanks.

I wouldn't mess with the tips, it removes the spark arrestor and it is a very heavy piece. I would go with the slip on or the full exhaust. Inever regeared mine and it was just fine after all my mods. I liked the full HMF because it was easier to pull the front tires in 3rd gear. If you do anything to the quad you will need to rejet it.

Might go over to predatorowners.com and check out the outlaw threads. Tons more info there.

2old2race
09-30-2008, 08:16 AM
Well, I just bought one. lol
I figured if and when I upgrade, I can ebay it for $25.
It is billet aluminum, so it shouldn't be too heavy.
It does have the spark arrestor screen in it.

I'll check out that site.
Thanks!