PDA

View Full Version : Hot Rods Cranks

86 Quad R
09-27-2008, 09:01 AM
as some of you may know. i've not liked these cranks for many reasons and here is another.

i ordered a crank bearing kit from one of my local shops today and this is what was sent.

package says made in japan but the bearings are made in taiwan
:eek2: :eek2:

Dave83
09-27-2008, 11:47 AM
Randy,is there a brand name on the bearing(NTN,Koyo.etc)?

86 Quad R
09-28-2008, 08:17 AM
it does have TPI on it? do you know/can ya shed any info? sorry for the noo-noo ?'s but, bearings are my weak point to an extent. :rolleyes:

Dave83
09-28-2008, 10:36 AM
The TPI I know of is based out of India i believe,does not mean that they do not have a factory in Taiwan.Honda used Koyo bearings(buy the Moose kits,same thing at half price),which is a highly regarded Japanese mfr.There are 3 or 4 mfr that are highly regarded in industrial apps,Koyo,SKI,NTN,and *** are the most common ones.Back to your TPI,they are automotive driven it looks like,so they may not be all bad.

86 Quad R
09-28-2008, 09:21 PM
i guess we shall see. i'm gonna install these on a fresh hot rods crank that i'd acquired quite a while back. :cool:

2muchquad
09-30-2008, 03:48 AM
get used to it homey,everything is made in china anymore...especially if you buy tusk anything:D

86 Quad R
09-30-2008, 06:26 AM
Originally posted by 2muchquad
get used to it homey,everything is made in china anymore...especially if you buy tusk anything:D

nawwwww! i wont get used to it. especially when it comes to the engine intern's. dont get me wrong cuzz i have used the cheaper brands in stems and front wheel before and they have lasted but only1/2 that of the japan or usa. this will be the last i'll use them for an engine.

its kinda a inside thing with me en the hawt rods cranks>lol< i happen to had a new one laying around en coincidently the crank bearings that the supplier sent me are the same. the crank checks out fine and i'm gonna build this engine with the combo to see what happens :eek2: :huh

2muchquad
10-01-2008, 03:43 AM
i hear ya,most of us want the best stuff for our motors but how many of us are willing to pay $80 for a set of oem main bearings when we can get a aftermarket set with seals for $25:ermm: Its not like we are cutting corners,after all we are replacing them but cash can be hard to come by for us normal folks in the real world.:D

86 Quad R
10-01-2008, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by 2muchquad
how many of us are willing to pay $80 for a set of oem main bearings.:D

whats 80 bux for really goed insurance and the thought of sleeping sound at night? :blah:

All250R
10-01-2008, 01:50 PM
Honda main bearings are $23 :confused:

86 Quad R
10-01-2008, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by All250R
Honda main bearings are $23 :confused:

they actually can be had cheaper en that. ;)

atvmxr
10-01-2008, 02:55 PM
well maybe a lil something to calm your nerves... my hotrod crank has lasted 3-4 years now.... did use factory bearings and etc. from service honda though... ;)

86 Quad R
10-01-2008, 02:59 PM

86 Quad R
11-17-2008, 09:03 AM
as of yesterday the engine has roughly 5 hard hours on it running around 200psi and its still holding its own. :cool:

wilkin250r
11-17-2008, 02:26 PM
The laws of big numbers do not necessarily apply to small numbers. Flip a coin a thousand times, you'll get roughly 500 heads and 500 tails. But just because it comes up heads 10 times in a row, that doesn't mean tails is "overdue" or more likely to come.

What's my point, you ask? Just because Hot Rod's cranks are less reliable as a general rule, that doesn't mean they are guarenteed to fail. There are plenty of people out there that have had great success with their Hot Rod crank, lasted for many years, certainly plenty more successes than failures. And plenty of people have had bad luck with OEM cranks, as well.

Sure, you compare big numbers (1000 or more) of each crank, you'll see more failures on the Hot Rods, but that's a law of large numbers. It doesn't mean that any one Hot Rod crank is 100% guaranteed doomed to catastrophic failure. Like I said earlier, there are still more successes than failures (no company can stay in business otherwise). Your chances of success with a Hot Rod crank are still very good.

If given an equal choice with equal cost, yes, I'll take OEM. But I have a Hot Rod crank in my 340, and I'm not worried a bit, it certainly wasn't worth the extra cost to switch.

86 Quad R
11-17-2008, 03:10 PM
i understand what your saying wilkin and i have buddies that run or have run the hotrods cranks and the failure numbers have been greater than an OEM or rebuilt OEM. to be honest. some years back it would have been a coin flip or what my funds would allow me as to whether i'd choose a stock or a hotrods but, after i watched a engine builder take an expensive banshee crank straight from the box and perform a run out test and be off by .003. that was the determining facter. besides........ the oem has a better track record as far as i'm concerned. i'll stick with what works for me even though this crank proved to work out fine, Taiwan bearings included.

crazy of it is. i built this engine as a test lmao!! crazy huh? :huh

86 Quad R
05-04-2009, 12:07 PM
from what i've read on the forums(here and other places) the average life is between 5-10 hours on the hotrods cranks....... as of sunday the engine is with roughly 10 hours........ guess what? the crank failed. :grr:

i'll be tearing into it this weekend to see exactly what's up with it. :cool:

Aceman
05-04-2009, 07:58 PM
That sucks, with that said, let's see some pics when you get her torn down.:)

I think if it ever gets to the point I have to run a Hot Rods(damn I hate to even say it:eek: ) I'll send it off to get it trued and welded. I honestly can't believe they're still producing them with their bad track record.

mxduner
05-04-2009, 08:53 PM
lmao:devil: i'm sorry but it just is.

thedeatons
05-05-2009, 12:25 AM
I just pulled one out of my 265..... Still going strong so far. I will take $100 shipped for it...

James

86 Quad R
05-05-2009, 06:37 AM
Originally posted by Aceman That sucks, with that said, let's see some pics when you get her torn down.

I think if it ever gets to the point I have to run a Hot Rods(damn I hate to even say it ) I'll send it off to get it trued and welded. I honestly can't believe they're still producing them with their bad track record. .[/B]

will do. :cool:

Originally posted by mxduner lmao i'm sorry but it just is.

in what way sir? :confused:

Originally posted by thedeatons
I just pulled one out of my 265..... Still going strong so far. I will take $100 shipped for it...

James

you trying to sell it to me deat? :eek2:

mxduner
05-05-2009, 12:38 PM
in what way sir? well when i first read the topic, before opening it, i thought of you and instantly chuckled.
then i seen you as the thread starter and remember you starting it awhile back.Only to see the inedible. dude that sucks tho bro.

i just realized that i have 1 in mine too, just before putting my big bore in.I'm gonna tear it down and get it rebuilt i think :confused: completely forgot to check side play cause i was in awe at what i saw.lol i have about ten hrs. on it and the guy before said it was rebuilt completely top to bottom 10 hrs when i bought it, so about 20hrs. total

86 Quad R
05-05-2009, 01:34 PM
i see now. and yes it does suk but, i have a OEM that's steppin' in and taking its place. as you know i wouldnt have normally used this crank but decided to use it because it was just sitting on the shelf and had been for a while. also because i was sent the "hotrods" bearings, i decided to install them together, stick fingers in my ears and back away slowly............ it was actually an experiment/test. :rolleyes: lmao