bansheeboyo
09-27-2008, 07:50 AM
what is it
how dose it work
pros and cons of using it
should i bother i already have a cr 250 ignition

deathman53
09-30-2008, 08:45 PM
I wouldn't bother, I don't think they made them in over 10 years. They are along the same lines as a banshee boot bottle and amp link. Don't do anything, but drain your wallet.

wilkin250r
09-30-2008, 09:42 PM
At one point, I looked at that little gizmo, and how it worked. I can't remember exactly, I think it was just an inline capacitor to counteract the self-inductance of the wire and coil. I might be wrong.

Anyways, all I really recal was that it was one of those products that theoretically would improve your power by giving you a better spark, the equations said it would, and you might even see something on an oscilliscope attached to the plug.

But when it came down to it, when theory met reality, there weren't any noticable gains.

I know that not many people enjoy reading through pages of technical information with graphs and waveforms, some of it can either be boring or just too heavy to grasp. If anybody DOES find technical information on the Answer Roost Boost, I'll be happy to look it over and translate it into simple English.

trx310R#24
10-02-2008, 01:32 AM
The basic ignition is a CDI - capacitive discharge ignition. The principle is that a capacitor stores energy and builds up voltage that is then released to the primary side of the ignition coil. This voltage is then multiplied per the coil's winding count and you get an output voltage on the secondary side to the spark plugs. So the higher the input voltage, the higher the voltage at the spark plugs.

CDI is an improvement over, say, the old distributor point ignition systems where the points only ever got ~12 volts to release to the ignition coil. A capacitor can store energy and release higher voltages to the igintion coil so now you can get 40,000 to 80,000 volts at the spark plugs..depending on the ignition system. Much better than 10,000 or 15,000 without a CDI.

Now with those basic facts on the table, the roost boost is just an added capacitor between the 2 stator wires that feed the ignition coil. The end effect is more voltage to the primary side of the ignition coil and in the end, a higher output voltage to the spark plugs...a "hotter" spark.

So what does a "hotter" spark do? I allows for a wider spark plug gap and ensures the spark hits more precisely when it should and it then more efficiently burns the fuel present at the time of spark.