PDA

View Full Version : My Shee won't idle

big_ed2008
09-26-2008, 10:51 PM
What's up guys, I'm kind of new to the way banshee's and two-strokes in general work and after doing some mods my bike doesn't want to idle. First of all, the bike ran and idled fine when I got it and ive been consistantly using a 32:1 ratio with klotz via a ratio-rite. I have replaced the clutch cable and in the process, had the carbs apart to see what it takes to replace a throttle cable. Also, the exhaust (full toomey t-6) was leaking from the couplars that connect the mid-pipe to the header and where the mid-pipe bolts to the silencers on both sides and I have mended this as well. The problem seemed to start after I put it back together afterwards.

Two things puzzle me and I'm sure the causes will be simple for someone a bit more experienced. The first is that the bike runs just fine as long as the throttle is pushed in a tad, or while i'm riding it through any gear. The second is that the plugs are disgusting and black with buildup on them. Could using too much oil cause this? Just to eliminate the obvious, the TORS is still on and I have removed the parking break over-ride from the harness.

Anything you guys have would be appreciated, and I can give any missing info you need. Thanks guys!

Mxjunkie
09-27-2008, 07:17 AM
27.5 pilot jets and 2 turns out on the fuel to air screws.

Black means it's running to rich, try 40:1 which is 16 ounces to 5 gallons and put a new set of plugs in it( Br8es or br8r ngk). The plugs should be a caramel color instead of black. If it makes them black again take the clip on your needles and move them up one to put the needle down in the jet some.

Does it blubber (break up) on top end??

big_ed2008
09-27-2008, 10:59 AM
It'll break up on the top end while its cold but two laps around the yard takes care of that pretty quick. Aside from that it seems a little throaty in the first quarter of the throttle and doesn't seem to take off as quick as it should. Im also swapping between this and my kawi so go figure lol. Other than that it runs like a SOB!

Ive got a temp fix from tightening the throttle cable a tad so it idles higher just because I never saw a difference in turning those fuel/air screws. I'll tighten them down and out them two turns each and put some new plugs in. Thanks for you help man!

09-27-2008, 11:25 AM
Did you try adjusting the idle screw?:ermm:

It's on the TORS if you still have them connected. If not, usually people put idle screws in the carb body itself.

Mxjunkie
09-27-2008, 11:32 AM
Also try taking the carbs apart and clean them with carb cleaner, I've had the same problem using klotz it goes hand and hand with its name. The oil becomes gunky and it gloggs the passage ways in the carb, take the pilots out and CAREFULLY take a small piece of wire and clean them out. Alot of the times they will fill up.

big_ed2008
09-28-2008, 09:01 AM
Would it be ok to use electrical contact cleaner to clean the carbs? It has a really high alcohol content so it cleans well and evaporates rather quickly. I'm sure my issue isn't extensive but it can never hurt to have clean carbs!

I know that when i took them apart the first time I got some greasy fingerprints on the plungers (or whatever you call them) without even trying so i'm sure they aren't clean any more. I'm going out to work on it today so i'll let you guys know how it goes.

Mxjunkie
09-28-2008, 10:25 AM
Grease prints wont hurt anything, it's the nasty gunk that glogg's passage ways in the carb.