PDA

View Full Version : rear brakes

katch26
09-26-2008, 11:29 AM
so the brakes started making a noise (metal on metal) so I ordered new pads. I went to put them in and the piston on the caliper is frozen. I take a hammer and a large socket to it and free it, it now moves freely but curious if the damage is already done. Ive seen caliper rebuild kits for the front but never for the rear........any idea where to find them?

katch26
09-27-2008, 07:46 AM
well I bought an 05 rear caliper so that will work for now but I guess not too many people have had this happen to them

09-27-2008, 08:15 AM
just out of curiosity, when you said the piston was frozen , what did you mean?

it has hydraulic pressure behind it and will not move back easily...to get it back into position to reinstall the new pads, you would need to take a c clamp and compress it back. the socket and hammer most likely did some damage

katch26
09-27-2008, 08:31 AM
no I know it would not move....it was seized in there. I took off the parking break block off and it drained the fluid and it would still not move. The clamp did not work and the only thing that would budge it was the hammer and socket.

the socket didnt do any damage I meant would it being seized previously cause problems down the road even though its freed up now