PDA

View Full Version : ex electrical problems need help plz

beakerlsc
09-26-2008, 09:50 AM
k my 99 400ex has a few electrical problems... first the battery wont hold a good enough charge to start the engine so i either have to push start it or jump start it, im going to guess the battery is bad and by a new one. My other problem is that whenever I turn the headlights on the fuse blows, I figured there was a short in the wiring but couldnt find anything after tracing the wires, also the headlights still run off the stator after the fuse is blown and work fine like that but the loss of the fuse kills my electric start and link between the battery and alternator, I'm kind of thinking that it may be that the voltage regulator/rectifier is bad. If anyone has any clue as to how I can fix this I'm open to try anything because not having electric start sucks. Or if anyone knows of some kind of kickstart conversion that would be cool too.

coryatver
09-26-2008, 09:56 AM
kick start is not an option for 400ex's you pretty much need the whole xr400 motor and there are a lot of issues with getting it to work.

first you need to get a good battery with full charge and put it in there, go through all the plugs and put dielectric grease on it and check all the wires. get a manual and go through there electric troubleshooting.

beakerlsc
09-26-2008, 10:04 AM
thanks i knew about that but someone tried tellin me there was a kit or somethin u could buy to do that now... I've already searched through all the wires for the headlights couldn't find anything unless it is in the switch itself