PDA

View Full Version : New short block coming up...

fastford
09-25-2008, 12:18 AM
Well I did a hard day of riding and racing. No need to hide things. Machine was not bouncing off the limiter or anything stupid. Ok so ride hard all day and get back let it cool and I got some wicked cam/lifter noise. So I thought it was in need of adjustment. Book calls for 10 hours then every 100. I got about 30 hours so I take it in cuz all the shims are BRP custom order. This is not my normal dealership so I take their word on things. So 1 week or so go by and I get a call its the hydrolic cam chain tensioner. Ok they call in warranty and life goes on. Then a week later I get another call that the motor is farked? Apparently the clutch basket shattered and send pieces into the oiling system. This is what caused the tensioner to not take the slack out of the chain. Low oil pressure cuz of the junk in the system.

So that all said does anyone make an aftermarket basket to avoid this in the future? And should I get on them to do the tranny bearings cuz of the fragments in there also.

I have a hard time beliving that a basket blew up. Guess I got to go down there and see for myself....

younggun95
09-25-2008, 12:27 AM
Believe it. And no, there is no basket available for it.

mikeracerx66
09-25-2008, 11:44 AM
I broke mine also. When I tore it down there was a clotch plate shattered. I looked for an aftermarket basket and couldn't find one so I had the stock one welded up while a new oem basket was being shipped. While installing the new basket I found 3 more broken plates. Hopefully someone will make a better clutch basket soon.

trx450RacR#413
09-25-2008, 11:49 AM
Call up Hinson, They apperently had some!

nvrpmx
09-30-2008, 06:37 PM
yes there is a after market basket,hub and pressure plate available at motoworks we have been testing and racing with no problems. 951-587-9222.ask for the race department.

atvlover
10-01-2008, 10:59 AM
This is Johnny at Motoworks. We have manufactured our own Clutch basket, Hub, and pressure plate. it comes as a kit. We have been using it for half of this year. it has worked perfectly. Call our office and order one for your bike.

ds450racer
11-03-2008, 09:42 AM
Call up hinson. ive done 6 clutched this year:(

DGS
11-03-2008, 01:45 PM
Apparently this is a common problem on the early 08 models. Your dealer should replace the broken parts with the updated hub and clutch cover. The newer hub has more oil holes in it and the clutch cover has an oil journal which feeds the basket more oil. You also have to add an extra steel plate as the new hub is slightly wider.
The older clucth suffered from oil deprevation at higher rpm... the new kit will sort it out...mine was done under waranty and all the parts and labour were sorted out....

Hope this helps...PM me if you want part numbers for the new parts...

ds450racer
11-03-2008, 03:03 PM
yeah i think weve got that sorted out. I soaked my stock clutch in oil and that has worked well lasted 4 race meeting now and is still looking good. I know that they have been changed on the 09's though so hopefully we wont have this problem.

race proven
11-03-2008, 08:31 PM
new to the forum but i also wanted a clutch basket and did some research seems that all the canam factory teams are running motoworks, So thats what I'm going to buy must work good and priced right too.Could'nt find anyone that races a can-am that has tried a hinson so going to put my money on the tested one.

Hoop450
11-04-2008, 08:35 AM
I have a 08 ds450. How would I know if I have the updated clutch? Would this be coverd under a recall?

fastford
11-04-2008, 09:39 AM
Got a bit of an update sort of. They did everything under warranty BUT this thing is now a dog. No where near the power it use to have. Dealer said to bring it back and they will see what they can do for me. Did everything the same as before and it just isnt there. Anyone got any ideas??

fastford
11-04-2008, 09:47 AM
Got a bit of an update sort of. They did everything under warranty BUT this thing is now a dog. No where near the power it use to have. Dealer said to bring it back and they will see what they can do for me. Did everything the same as before and it just isnt there. Anyone got any ideas??

DGS
11-04-2008, 11:08 AM
Not too sure..sounds like they did something wrong...
Did they put new piston and rings..? Did you have to do any running in..? Maybe the timimng is out or the clearance is incorrect and u are losing compression..? Thats all i can think of..
Maybe clutch installed wrong and creating lots of friction and losing power..!!!
Not sure..let us know...

fastford
11-04-2008, 04:07 PM
I didnt get a compression check. Was working out of town when my bro dropped it off for me. Going to call dealer tomorrow and see if I can get an update.
Service rep is kinda mechanically retarded so I always get second hand info from the guy working on it.

race proven
11-04-2008, 08:17 PM
you need to upgrade the whole clutch set up. The motoworks one is a three piece unit and i was told that they tested and raced all year long on the same basket and hub with no signs of wear.I also called hinson and they dont even make a basket for the ds 450.

fastford
11-05-2008, 03:41 PM
OK get this. Maybe I am wrong but I think I got shafted.... Called to see why my machine is down on power and they told me that my ECM is relearning cuz of the mods I did. He told me to bring it in how I would ride it. Slip on, K&N and no lid with the wire cut. Said its lean. So I asked why is it that it was exactly the same set up before I took it there and now its down in power. No answers at all.

WarBirdMech
11-09-2008, 01:19 PM
do spark pugs have to be indexed in these motors? if so maybe they didnt bother?

DGS
11-09-2008, 02:44 PM
Not too sure what relearning is but sounds like something fishy...
Did they do a complete engine rebuild..? If so, was the timing done correctly..? the balancer shaft gear that drives the timing chain needs to be installed correctly as it just sits on a taper and has no locating key...its essential that it is done the way the manual states otherwise it could be slightly out and thats why you could be losing power...!!! If its lean, then it will overheat and limp mode would kick in..!!!! Also, bikes tend to make slightly more hp when they run lean...obviously not good coz of overheating and other things... so dont think its coz its lean...
Hope this helps

atvlover
11-13-2008, 09:51 AM
Hello, this is Johnny with Motoworks. It sounds like there may be a problem witht he timing. The timing chain sprocket absolutely has to be set and torqued correctly. There is not a lot the dealer could have done other than that. You really should find out exactly what they did. There is no such thing as the ECU relearning. All of the ECU's come programmed from the factory. It takes an act of God to make any changes. Even for the factory teams. If you have a pipe, you need to make sure you are running some type of FMI. The bike runs lean without one. We have cluth basket. Everyone who has a stock basket will eventually crack it. It is good maintenance to replace it a soon as possible. You will find that most of the problems relate to clutch baskets breaking. I am not sure where you are located, but you are welcome to call us and we can try and help diagnose the problem.

fastford
11-16-2008, 07:51 AM
I am picking my bike up next weekend cuz I work out of town. I will get it up on the dyno to see where the A/F is. I highly doubt it is getting lean at my elevation, it is not back firing and my plugs look dead on.

I want to get a parts list and a proper work order of what they did. I am totally regretting not taking it to my usual dealership :(