View Full Version : New computer .. need help.

Quad18star
09-24-2008, 07:56 PM
Quick question .

I just picked up a new computer tonight and plugged everything in ... everythign works fine except for my sound.

I have all the levels on the volume controls cranked right up , but I get a very faint sound. Any idea how to fix this little problem?

flyin#5
09-24-2008, 08:12 PM
did you check windows media player? sometimes that will override everything else. or maybe whatever your default audio player is. other than that i would just check your actual speaker connections and make sure they are in all the way and hooked up correctly.

byrdman37876
09-24-2008, 08:47 PM
Is it built in speakers? if so they are pretty weak.

buy some side by sides with a volume knob on them.

<DRS>GPF
09-25-2008, 03:50 PM
try connecting a set of headphones to the stereo jack and see if you can hear sound normally then.

Rip_Tear
09-25-2008, 04:03 PM
Depending on your speakers you may have got the jacks messed up, Green should be your main (front) speakers unless they've used different colors or something. I'd suggest checking that first. Also if you click start/controlpannel/sound there are a ton of options in there that may be affecting your sound levels.

If you have Vista, sometimes it recoginizes head phones, when I plug my head phones in the front jack it cuts my speakers and lowers the sound level for my head phones. Just thought I should mention that part.

09-25-2008, 04:23 PM
Yeah, make sure you have speakers in right jack, they don't mark that very well. Way way way back when in the days of dial up I hooked speakers up wrong, got no sound, but whenever I dialed the net that horrible noice actually came through the speakers.

Also, if you got a dell, I've had TWO dells now where the headphone jack has ruined the sound. Pull out the headphones, and it still thinks you have headphones in so it give you no sound. You have to put a headphone jack in and wiggle it as you pull it out to get sound to come back. Dell must use cheap headphone jacks..

XCRacer236
09-25-2008, 05:30 PM
USE APPLE!

Quad18star
09-26-2008, 06:38 AM
Figured out the problem ( with the help of the computer guy lol) .... my old speakers weren't amplified enough... so I needed to buy a new set of speakers. Now the sound is perfect. :D