PDA

View Full Version : carb troubles

Honda4life05
09-24-2008, 07:47 PM
I have a 03' 300ex an i put a dyno jet kit in. You can see all of my mods under. But what i was wondering is what is a estimate of where the fuel mixture screw should be. I have tryed every method on here an it idles fine its just that it wont idle unless it has been warmed up for atleast 10 min. in 70 F degree weather.An another thing is when i slam on the gas from a low idle it hesitates an takes a second to get up in the rpm's. do i need to adjust the needle? if so where to?

thanx for any help.

Strolski
09-24-2008, 08:47 PM
Sounds like you might need to drop the needle down a bit.. IDK. What size main jet are you running?
You've got to remember that when you hammer it from idle your acc. pump is shooting fuel into the intake and at the same time your needle is coming nearly completely out of the main jet..... So your jet size may be too large.

I'd say your best bet as far as you idle prob. is to mess w/ your pilot and check your plug often. You might be running way too rich or way too lean as far as the pilot screw goes.... How many turns out are you from all the way in?

Have you taken your carb apart and inspected your slow jet? My 400 was having the same idle prob. and I found that the slow jet was nearly pugged w/ varnish from nasty gas ( I just bought it after it had been sitting around for nearly a year). The 300 and 400s idle jet are the same size (#38). You SHOULD be able to see a considerable amount of light thru the hole. Mine was seriously plugged to the width of about 7 or 8 hairs.
Also, do you have a service manual? It will help you out a bunch. If not check out my other post.....

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=365536

86 Quad R
09-25-2008, 08:18 AM
it sounds as tho the pilot jet is lean and/or the pilot screw is out of adjustment.

good info (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=221872)

bwamos
09-25-2008, 08:50 AM
A 300ex will always hesitat when you slam on the throttle, especially when in neutral sitting in the driveway. Accelerator pump helps, but it cant completely counteract the extreme change of stabbing the throttle while under no load.

When you ride you don't stab the throttle. If you did, you'd either kill the engine or end up with a sore butt and a bent grab bar. ;)

Roll on the throttle. Should take about 1.5 - 2 seconds to go from idle to full throttle.

Generally, you'll be at about 2-3/4 to 3 turns out on the screw..

If you aren't backfiring on deceleration, you probably dont need a larger pilot.

Generally, the more modifications you do the the 300ex the more cold blooded it gets.

Honda4life05
09-25-2008, 09:47 AM
Ok thanx man..yah when i ride i usually keep it up reved an it doesnt hesitate then..an i will try the adjust the fuel mixture screw. that things a b*#!# to get at lol