PDA

View Full Version : new bars dont fit!

400ex07
09-24-2008, 05:43 PM
I just got a trail tech bar clamp and a set of renthal twinwall RC highs. when i ordered them from motosport it said it fit my 2007 400ex. when I started putting it together the plastic piece that holds the key switch, reverse light, and neutral light was scraping the top of the gas tank and the piece would even fit over the top of the steering stem. then I tried putting the bars on and once i started putting the brake resivour and all the other parts on I realized the brake line and clutch cable were way to short for it and i wouldn't be able to turn at all. has anyone else had a problem like this? I know I got the right parts because it says TRX on the clamp and on the piece that holds the key switch. I really wanna use the trail tech clamp because it holds the lights and key switch. I also really need to raise the bars because I am 6 feet and I hunch over them way too much but the cable and line doesn't seem to have much play for taller bars. any suggestions?

leasureryan
09-24-2008, 06:24 PM
well duh. Anytime you change the stock bars, you have to move the key and lights!

400ex07
09-24-2008, 06:42 PM
I know the lights need to move thats why i bought the trail tech so there is a place to hold the lights....... i wanna if anyone had problems with the trail tech clamp like i did and if taller bars are even possible on the newer style 400s

SPDSNYPR
09-24-2008, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by leasureryan
well duh. Anytime you change the stock bars, you have to move the key and lights!

EXTREMELY HELPFUL. :rolleyes:

To the OP - if you want to stick with those bars and clamps, you're likely gonna need longer cables.

As for the switches and lights, I just drilled a hole through the center, then drilled and tapped the bars. Looks fine. With the bigger bars you might have to cut the bar cutout on the plastic piece of the "dashboard."

BTW - I'm 6-04 and getting taller bars made a huge difference for me. I don't feel like I'm steering with my knees anymore. I just got some MSR ATV high bend 7/8 bars, mounted them, and they had too much pull-back. I heated up the bars with a torch, and bent them to where I wanted with a cheater bar. Huge difference, and I didn't have to replace anything else.

400ex07
09-24-2008, 10:50 PM
Does anyone know how high you can go without changing the brake line or clutch cable? and does anyone have a trail tech bar clamp that fit on their quad correctly?

09-25-2008, 03:13 AM
i have 2 tt clamps...one like yours, but for a 450r. both were on my 450 and both have been on my 2000 400ex with 05 style plastics...
i had to trim a little of the tt plastic piece to get it to clear, both the tank and my flexx bars.

the flexx bars are atv bend and are quite a bit higher than stock with the clamp, as were the trail tech barsin mid bend...all lines fit, but i am running braided 450r stock length brake lines...the throttle cable is good, but any higher and i would need a different clutch cable...

yellow416ex
11-05-2008, 08:05 AM
I have a trail tech bar clamp as well but I have medium bend bars so combined with the clamp they sit as high as the stock bars, so all the cables were fine, mine is an '03 though so I didnt mess with the plastic piece for the key switch

katch26
11-05-2008, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by 400ex07
I know I got the right parts because it says TRX on the clamp and on the piece that holds the key switch.

doesnt the 400ex one say 400ex not trx?
look at 416ex's avatar, the bar clamps should be the same but the plastic would be different

400ex07
11-05-2008, 09:23 AM
Mine says TRX on it, I got it to work. I had to order bars that were not as tall. The plastic piece just barley scrapes the gas tank cover. I think its supposed to be like that because another member on here complained about the same thing

katch26
11-05-2008, 09:37 AM
I know yours says trx but that was kind of my point because according to tt it should say 400ex......I think you got the wrong one.....glad you got it to work though

400ex07
11-05-2008, 10:03 AM
I e-mailed trail tech when i was having problems, and they said that the part number that I had was the correct one. I don't think the logo makes a difference.