PDA

View Full Version : Plug color... back down on the needle?

MtnEX
09-24-2008, 12:55 PM
What kind of color are you guys looking for on these engines when checking plug color on jetting?

On a new plug, I'm in the white/light grey/light tan category.

Is that what I'm looking for or brown paper bag brown like I'm used to seeing on a 2 stroke?

MtnEX
09-24-2008, 12:59 PM
Here's a picture if you can tell anything from it...
Plugs never photograph in focus...

09-24-2008, 01:29 PM
mine is usually a little darker than that. But its a tan, grey, light brown color.

MtnEX
09-24-2008, 02:37 PM
Yeah, it's staying light... but getting dark/black on the outer metal.

If I drop the needle back down, it will actually be back where it was.
RICH.

I think I will go back to the NGK plugs and see where I am at with them. I only use the others for jetting reads.

09-24-2008, 02:55 PM
what gas are you using? shell has additives that make it cleaner. its great to run but not for reading plugs. How does it run on the different needle settings? I was able to tell drastically what was right and what wasnt by the way it wheelied and the locationg of my body forward for the front to come up. 1 setting on the needle it was almost there and then I dropped it down and it pulled up real strong. 1 more down and it was too lean. So i went back up to where it ran strongest.

MtnEX
09-24-2008, 03:35 PM
Dang... you know I didn't think about it... we ran out of gas around here and when I got gas last we still didn't have premium. So it's got 87 in it, which I didn't think a thing about.

The 87 will actually burn hotter... So....
So I think I'll leave it where it is til I get some premium.

I was certainly rich before. Rich on the pilot adjustment and rich on the needle. The main... I'm not sure I was getting in it before, but I am now.

It was...

38 pilot... Several turns out
Needle... on third slot, middle
155 main...

It is now...

38 pilot... 2 turns out (still elvalutating)
Needle... raised UP one slot to the second
155 main... getting in it now

It seems crisper now, but I don't notice a BIG difference.
Maybe because of the 87?....

09-24-2008, 07:10 PM
yeah 87 makes the quad bog more and not have the same throttle response. when you jet you should use be in the conditions you are most of the time riding. This is how i think you should jet.

1)Pilot/Fuel screw
2)Main Jet
3)Needle Jet
4)re-check everything working together and make fine adjustments from there.

Get it to idle right, then use the main jet you think will work and take it for a top speed run WOT and then just hit the killswitch without letting off of the gas or pulling in the clutch yet. Just shut it off and then pull in the clutch and stop. Then check the plug and see what the main jet is making your plug look like. Make adjustments. Then for your snap and throttle response play with the needle and see how that looks and feels. YOu can deffinately feel when a needle isnt in the right position.