PDA

View Full Version : bearings stuck on crank

skyhighatv
09-23-2008, 06:17 PM
Ok, so i went against my better judgement and purchased a hot rods crank and main bearings due to cost. So i break my new motor in and then put 2 1/2 hours on it at rausch and then all of a sudden i have a slight noise from the bottom end,shut her down. Upon disasembly i find one of the main bearings is shot. And when i split the cases the main bearings came out with the crank,and it almost looks like one spun in the case? What i want to know is has anyone ever had this problem and is there any way for me to get these bearings off of the crank? Thanks in advance.

morse250r
09-23-2008, 07:16 PM
usually when you pull the crank one bearing will stay on the crank have to use a puller or just get a new bearing oem honda 88 style theres 1 more ball in there

destey
09-24-2008, 10:17 AM
Never done a motor like these, but when I had new bearings put on my yamaha phazer crank I had to take it to the dealer and they used liquid nitrogen to shrink the shaft. I guess it slides right off.

skyhighatv
09-24-2008, 07:01 PM
There is very little room between the bearing and the crank tins, does any one know if there is a puller i could use,or where to get it done?

xlr810
09-24-2008, 09:34 PM
virtually any machine shop can press the bearing off for you.

I suggest replacing both of the main bearings with OEM Honda 88 bearings while you've got it apart.

C-LEIGH RACING
09-25-2008, 11:30 AM
Theres a split puller tool thats kinda cup shaped you use to pull the bearing off.
Once you get the cup shape tool in place under the bearing, then you use a press to press the crank out of the bearing.

For anybody reading this.
If your pulling a crank out of the cases, pressing the crank out, in the pressing process you have put side load on the bearing races & roller balls & it damages the bearing.
Dont, re-use that pressed out bearing, replace it before it fails when you least expect it.
This can apply to any ball bearing thats been pressed out.
Neil