View Full Version : a day at finger lakes MX

somewon
09-23-2008, 01:48 AM
I've spent some good practice time at the track in the last two months and I want to give a little report on how the Polaris is performing and I'd like some comments and suggestions from those of you with some track time on your quads.

For those of you that haven't been to finger lakes in columbia MO (go tigers) the track typically is deeply rutted with two table tops, a few mid sized doubles (20 - 30 feet) and several large doubles (40 - 60 feet). The track is typically soft pack, but due to the hard ruts you wouldn't know it.

Cornering: I've noticed that I have a very hard time comming out of flat corners, as soon as I try to get on the gas in the second half of the turn the front end lightens and begin to have to feather the throttle to keep control. I'm not downshifting or popping the clutch, but due to the dirt bike ruts, it seems very easy to loose steering control. I tried a few diffrent approaches, such as brake sliding into the corner and trying to already be pointed at the exit (felt faster, but not very smooth) and entering slower and using constant throttle to power out (tended to two wheel a lot).

Jumping: The finish line table top is somewhere around 90 feet. At not quite full throttle in 3rd gear I'm hitting about 3/4 to the landing, It's actually landing very smooth and I'm hesitant to push farther, because when I land I'm carring a ton of speed that brings me right to a 50' double (I actually need to slow down so I can pop the throttle at the launch). because of my little table top exparament I tried it out with a double (flat landing at the trough) and I think this might be a good strategy to use when in traffic that isn't pushing hard. That way I don't need a real good aproach or lauch (i'm kinda picky about both when doing the large doubles).

Tires: The factory meats suck on this track, the fronts feel like I'm using smooth sand tires, and the rears hook a little more than I like. Has anyone tried the Kenda klaws on their outlaw?

Wear out factor: I noticed a ton of arm pump from fighting the steering, not so much from the suspension, but it was there. My steering feels heavy so I don't know how much a steering stabilizer would actually help.