PDA

View Full Version : 2008 sportsman 500 battery light flashes

smbthunderbay
09-22-2008, 03:48 PM
hey all. my 08 sportsman 500 was doing great on saturday during my ride. i used the winch to pull a tree out of the bush then continued to ride. sunday morning i started the bike and let it warm up 15 minutes or so. during my ride on sunday the battery light on the cluster and my speedo needle started to flash. this continued all day while i rode about 40 miles. anyone have this issue?? any help would be great.
thanks

smbthunderbay
09-23-2008, 02:57 PM
bike is on it's way to the stealership. will post if they can fix it.

smbthunderbay
10-27-2008, 04:51 PM
the fix as of right now is the voltage regulator. will get the bike back on the weekend. lets see if they fixed it

mcatvme
11-02-2008, 03:11 PM
Any news? Im having the same issue w a 04 700 sportsman.

smbthunderbay
11-02-2008, 04:25 PM
the dealer found that the bike was under charging as well as overcharging. this causes the battery light and the speedo needle to flash. they replaced the voltage regulator but now the bike is charging up to 18V. monday they are going to start all over with the diagnosis.
i learned that the speedo needle will flash for one of four reasons, one is battery undercharge, battery overcharge, low fuel (along with the fuel light) and cant remember the last one.
will try to post again when dealer has a better idea what's going on.

mcatvme
11-09-2008, 10:49 AM
Any new info?????

smbthunderbay
11-09-2008, 08:27 PM
dealer changed voltage regulator. bike now is charging at 17.5V at idle. stator is on order and should be in monday. i have my doubts that this is the problem, but warranty is paying so other than the time problem, i am not paying parts or labour. i will advise when i know more

smbthunderbay
11-13-2008, 06:54 PM
Bike is finally home after a month in the dealership
Stator was changed and it corrected the overcharge problem. One of the windings was shorted is the cause of the problem according to them. I only unloaded the bike and played in the yard for a bit, but seems to charge at 14V pretty steady.
Cross your fingers that this is the end of my problems.