PDA

View Full Version : Starer Problems

440ex2001
09-22-2008, 08:50 AM
2006 450er. It acts like there are teeth missing fro mthe flywheel. The started will turn it over for a second then start to spin free. I already new about the never giving it gas while starting rule. Has there been a recall on these things? I tried a search but didnt find anything for certain.

f4istunna
09-23-2008, 07:24 AM
sounds like the starter clutch. Common problem w/ alot of quads

marcus20202
10-08-2008, 05:14 PM
im having the same problem with my 300ex but it dosnt turn over at all. how difficult is this to fix and what might it cost?

440ex2001
11-18-2008, 09:18 AM
Weird... It fixed itself. I don't get it.

johnafun
11-23-2008, 11:54 AM
i just came down with a simaler problem on an 06 ltz400 and was looking for answers. im not there to see my problem yet. but it was put in reverse and when it was put back into first the bike died and now the starter just spins over freely. freind told me that the starter clutch sometimes will jam up on a lot of quads. so he sugested puting it in gear and roking it back and forth in first gear and also roll it slowly forward in gear. this may unfree it. but of course im not there to do it.also some models have lil plastic squares in the starter clutch wich break sometimes. easy to replace and 20 bucks for the pieces. if theyre are no signs of broken teeth and it wont free itself up then a starter clutch is more then likely needed. for my ltz its about 160 the starter clutch. not to hard to replace if you have a manuel and follow your torq specs closely. the other thing im looking into but never delt with is mine has a limiter gear assembly between the starter gear and the main gear and i have no clue on how this thing works . i guess its a fail safe thing. but it appears to be normal.

can anyone explain how this limiter assembly works?