PDA

View Full Version : repacking FMF Turbinecore silencer?

JTRtrx250r
09-22-2008, 12:32 AM
I wanna repack this thing...wtf do I gotta do to get it apart?

I took the allen head screws out and heated it up w/ a torch to no avail....dont wanna thrash or ruin it so I figured I'd ask

am I supposed to remove the rivits too or what?

been out of the loop, cleaned up the garage and found my R in there again after 4-5 yrs, cant beleive how much of this R stuff I forgot :o

:D

86 Quad R
09-22-2008, 08:30 AM
it's been many a moon since i've worked on that particular silencer myself but, if memory serves me right, i believe it'll come apart from the stinger side. you may need to help things along by gently clamping it in a vise and use a rubber hammer and patiently work with it.

gojk
09-22-2008, 09:01 AM
I just did mine. Took the allen heads screws out and then I actually tapped it in a little to break it loose, then I worked it back to get it out. Should eventually come out.

JTRtrx250r
09-22-2008, 02:58 PM
well , whats funny is.. I did EXACTLY that haha...she's still pretty (cept a calipar dent) and I just didnt wanna bang it all up. Ive done a BUNCH.. but never a turbine core.

I'll try some more heat and go at it again

JTRtrx250r
09-22-2008, 05:08 PM
yep, just a little more heat and a few taps did the job

k, now my next question:D

I noticed it has basically 2 sections inside of course, but..

the spark arrestor section looks fairly decent...should I pull the rivits and do that part too? or just repack the main section?

Thanks peeps

gojk
09-22-2008, 07:03 PM
I have a turbine core 2, and the back end section didn't have packing. I just repacked the front section.

JTRtrx250r
09-22-2008, 08:12 PM
I have the turbine core 2 and it has a second stage of packing around the baffle too......pretty much why I was askin' haha

I mean...it dont look stuffed...but more wrapped like the main core, even cut flush...

I'll probably just leave it.

on a side note, w/ the calipar dent...it wont let the baffle out (stinger direction), and for some reason my end cap is being way more stubborn than the stinger end was being to try and pull it out that direction

wanted to eliminate the need for rivets but not sure how much meat will be there to get bite on...we'll see

might just slam it back together and call it good for now

thanks man!