PDA

View Full Version : coolant ?

Fralick #81
09-21-2008, 02:48 PM
My 450 has been running really hot lately so I checked the antifreeze and its a little low. I figure I might as well drain all of it and put fresh stuff in it since i dont know when it was done last. Can I use any kind of coolant or are there certain kinds you cant use? And does anybody know how much it takes? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

coryatver
09-21-2008, 02:51 PM
47% distilled water
47% ethylene glycol antifreeze
6% red line water wetter

It takes 2 or 3 quarts

This is what GT Thunder uses. You can buy it from them if you don't want to mix it yourself.

atvmaster0927
09-21-2008, 04:31 PM
Just use Engine Ice.

You only need to pore it into your coolant, radiator. You do not need to mix anything with engine ice.

This stuff works wonders!

d3ktrix
09-21-2008, 06:57 PM
x2 on engine ice.
or oem honda coolant.

I think its bs that engine ice makes your bike run cooler but its still nice and convenient.

coryatver
09-21-2008, 07:56 PM
engine ice is the worst thing you can use. It has a Propylene Glycol base. You want something with a ethylene glycol base.

Engine Ice is Propylene glycol = corroded cooling system

d3ktrix
09-21-2008, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by coryatver
engine ice is the worst thing you can use

Have a reason why you say that?
Not that I care to back engine ice but that's a kinda an off the wall thing to say as its pretty much an industry standard.

coryatver
09-21-2008, 08:08 PM
When I was looking for what coolant to run I did a lot of searching and studying if you research it you will find out for yourself.

"Propylene Glycol oxidizes when exposed to air and heat. When this occurs, organic acids are formed viz. Glycolic acid, Glyoxalic acid, Formic acid, Carbonic acid & Oxalic acid. If not properly inhibited, this fluid can be very corrosive. Protodin is added to Propylene Glycol to act as a buffer, preventing low pH attack on the system metals. It forms a protective skin inside the tank and pipelines which helps to prevent acid attack that cause corrosion."

from wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antifreeze#Propylene_glycol

I don't know about you but adding crap in to "line" the cooling system aka gum it up so it doesn't get corroded doesn't sound like a great idea to me it needs a "liner" so it doesn't corrode???

I have also have seen people that used engine ice have problems with it and have switched. Propylene Glycol is better for the enviroment that is why there is a push to use it while ethylene glycol is toxic

Ethylene Glycol has a better heat transfer ability the Propylene Glycol. look it up, or test it yourself

also look in your manual it will specifically specify ethylene glycol only at least my 450r does

d3ktrix
09-21-2008, 08:34 PM
Thanks never knew that.
Pretty much any green automobile coolant will be ethylene glycol based right?

coryatver
09-21-2008, 08:49 PM
I don't know about colors just look at the back of the bottle.

d3ktrix
09-21-2008, 09:01 PM
Aight, its so much cheaper too :P