PDA

View Full Version : paint tips

PeanutButta
09-21-2008, 09:31 AM
i just painted my 250r frame flat black. I didnt primer or anything was that good? i dont want to clear coat b/c i dont want it glossy. how many coats do u think ill need so it wont flake off everythime i brush it up against something.

Honda#4
09-21-2008, 10:04 AM
I dont mean to cut your deams but that frame wont last unless its primed and coated good, the slightest bump will chip the paint I suppose putting like 5 or 6 coats of paint wouldnt hurt it any but anyhow I think you may have to start over. Clearcoating flat black wont make it that glossy I wouldnt think.

PeanutButta
09-21-2008, 12:13 PM
ah i guess im doin primer now. can i just go right over the flat black with primer or do i have to sand it down again

Honda#4
09-21-2008, 12:28 PM
Yea you can prime over paint, I did it on my hubs and they turned out great, you may have to scuff up the paint alittle but you should'nt have any problems with that.

I use a 2-3-3 process or a 3-3-3 process, which represents the # of coats sprayed. 2 coats of primer 3 coats of paint and 3 coats of clear, same follows for the other method. Now if you happen to paint over other paint or maybe PC it might be best to use 4 coats of paint and clear just to be sure you have maxinum protection.

Remeber for future paint jobs preping is the key to painting. Good Luck

PeanutButta
09-21-2008, 03:45 PM
alright thaks

ricksmx865
09-25-2008, 05:13 PM
you can clear it with a matte clear and keep that flat black look :macho

suck my pipe
10-18-2008, 02:18 PM
it should be fine, flat black paint is tuff compared to other kinds of paint. I am not sure what makes the difference but I have found that any paint with a brighter color seems to be more prone to scratch and chip where black or flat black even better are tuff as nails. If you use a rattle can its easy to do a touch up if you scratch it any way, just keep a extra can of the color you used around. Just use garage rags or cardboard to mask the parts you don't want to be painted! and it will look good for a long time.