PDA

View Full Version : I feel like i hate this thing, help

hypersnyper6947
09-21-2008, 01:52 AM
Every time i think im done with this bike something new pops up to be a pain in my ***. So i got my bike tuned on the dyno b/c i was tired of trying to jet it my self, i figured after this i should be good to go, ready to ride and not worry about anything else. Well now its jetted correctly but it seems to be leaking from the base gasket. I thought maybe it was from the new HD headstuds, maybe the stretched a bit and let the base leak. So i torqued them down even more today i hope that helps. It also smokes out the pipe and burns a lot of oil. I have to finish putting it together tomorrow to see if my re-torquing helped. What do you guys think, this is extremely frustrating. This 400ex has been nothing but problems so far.

zeno
09-21-2008, 05:26 AM
I had similar dramas with a two wheeler.Spent a fortune on it,and it was and no doubt still is a piece of crap.Go with ya gut instinct mate,count ya losses and sell it.It's called transfer of headache. I did and bought a 400ex.A good 400ex! Been happy eversince.....

Honda#4
09-21-2008, 07:40 AM
Sounds like the rings are shot.

drew416ex
09-21-2008, 09:06 AM
the hd studs have nothing to do with the base gasket. They hold the head on, not the jug where the base gasket is. You need to check the bolts that hold the jug on.

REPOMAN
09-21-2008, 10:25 AM
my 440 was a pain is the butt all the time also. there was always something wrong. so do what i did and let it blow then part it out make almost no money back and buy a 450. good luck

blankenship
09-21-2008, 01:03 PM
or you could do the right thing and just replace the base gasket they are CHEAP and it dont take long i did mine in about 2 hours 2 and a half cause i had to smoke bongs but it was easy and fixed my issue what do you know if you are leaking out the base gasket and you replace it...................the leak stops ........:)

hypersnyper6947
09-21-2008, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Honda#4
Sounds like the rings are shot.

I just rebuilt it. It only has like 5 hours on it, if that. Not the rings.

WOW, for some reason i was thinking torquing the studs would help, what was i thinking, it was late at night.

I guess i should take the head off, then torque the jug down, and check my valves since it will be off.

THIS SUCKS

if its not the base gasket, its the gasket between the cases, that will suck more.

lilyamaharacer4
09-21-2008, 01:47 PM
Shot valve seals will cause smoking and burning oil alot also. Im in the process of replacing that with a few other parts right now.

hypersnyper6947
09-21-2008, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by lilyamaharacer4
Shot valve seals will cause smoking and burning oil alot also. Im in the process of replacing that with a few other parts right now.

I replaced those when i did the rebuild but im going to check them again.

drew416ex
09-21-2008, 03:26 PM
I also just thought, since you just had a rebuild with fresh parts, its also possible to have a cracked valve guide which will make it smoke quite a bit.

hypersnyper6947
09-21-2008, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by drew416ex
I also just thought, since you just had a rebuild with fresh parts, its also possible to have a cracked valve guide which will make it smoke quite a bit.

Yea but its leaking out of the base and smoking from there, also smoking from the exhaust.

Im going to check the valves, and change the base gasket and hopefully thats it, and i can be ready to ride worry free.

Honda#4
09-21-2008, 05:55 PM
I hope you dont have to big of problem with it, i'd hate to see another EX partout.

drew416ex
09-21-2008, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by hypersnyper6947
Yea but its leaking out of the base and smoking from there, also smoking from the exhaust.

Im going to check the valves, and change the base gasket and hopefully thats it, and i can be ready to ride worry free.

Thats what I mean. The smoke from the exhaust could be from a cracked valve guide.

hypersnyper6947
09-21-2008, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by drew416ex
Thats what I mean. The smoke from the exhaust could be from a cracked valve guide.

We shall see, im going to pour some fuel into the head, when i have it off, and see if the valves leak

hypersnyper6947
09-23-2008, 12:44 AM
Ok so i think i found the root of the leak, I noticed most of the oil seemed to come from around the cam tensioner. So i used the gasket plus some rtv liquid gasket on it. We will see if that did the trick when i ride it. It still may need the valves to be done but i wont know untill i ride it. Just updating everyone.