PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Shoe Spring Removal

ZTR_MAN
09-20-2008, 02:15 PM
I am looking for some input on removal of the clutch shoe springs. What is the typical process to do this? Is there a tool available to make the process easier?

Thanks,

Logan #34's Dad
09-20-2008, 07:29 PM
All I know is it is almost impossible. A spring puller and a vise is what are popular I think. I just use a small (skinny) screwdriver and hook the one end of the spring that is not already attached, I stick the end of the screwdriver in the hole where the spring goes and use the screwdriver as a lever until the spring slides down the shaft of the screwdriver and into the hole. Real pain in the butt! I'm glad they last awhile.
You got something in the works?

QuadJunkies
09-20-2008, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by ZTR_MAN
I am looking for some input on removal of the clutch shoe springs. What is the typical process to do this? Is there a tool available to make the process easier?

Thanks,

There is a tool on ebay for about 12.00 .Its a break tool for Automobiles.

BradLoomis
09-20-2008, 10:28 PM
Use a skinny ice pick or nail awl to remove and install the 3 small springs.

Place the pick tip in under the eye of the spring in the center of the shoe. Place the palm of your hand over the spring and press down with the pick against the side of the shoe to pop the spring up and out of the shoe. It doesn't take much pressure.

Place all he springs into the end of the shoe and lay into the slots in the shoe. Place the pick into the eye of the spring and slide the tip of the pick forward into the shoe hole. Pry the pick forward using the hole as your leverage point and the spring will slide down the pick and into the hole. Onca the pick is out, press down onto the spring to make sure it is fully seated.

09-22-2008, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by BradLoomis
Use a skinny ice pick or nail awl to remove and install the 3 small springs.

Place the pick tip in under the eye of the spring in the center of the shoe. Place the palm of your hand over the spring and press down with the pick against the side of the shoe to pop the spring up and out of the shoe. It doesn't take much pressure.

Place all he springs into the end of the shoe and lay into the slots in the shoe. Place the pick into the eye of the spring and slide the tip of the pick forward into the shoe hole. Pry the pick forward using the hole as your leverage point and the spring will slide down the pick and into the hole. Onca the pick is out, press down onto the spring to make sure it is fully seated. how about just taking off the cir clips pulling springs and shoes off at the same time saving springs from being over strecthed then the springs easily come off of the shoes then put springs back in shoes by your hand not tugging and pulling and place shoes back over studs then put your cir clips back on done not pulling on springs/

THARNESS
09-22-2008, 11:04 AM
That sounds way too easy. It just wouldn't seem right to do it without skinning your knuckles or having to use a few chioce words. I always used a pair of needle nose vice grips. It worked but it was a pain.

QuadJunkies
09-22-2008, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by tgcheeseman
how about just taking off the cir clips pulling springs and shoes off at the same time saving springs from being over strecthed then the springs easily come off of the shoes then put springs back in shoes by your hand not tugging and pulling and place shoes back over studs then put your cir clips back on done not pulling on springs/

Its really not that easy. lol
been there done that .
:p

09-22-2008, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
Its really not that easy. lol
been there done that .
:p thats how we do ours very simple. where did you have a hard time at it?

QuadJunkies
09-22-2008, 12:37 PM
I guess you have it mastered then :)
Just didnt find it that simple to do personally.

09-22-2008, 12:42 PM
I guess you have it mastered then :)
Just didnt find it that simple to do personally. i do it that way cause i always stretch the springs. this way i know i wont personal preferrence i guess. i quess after doing it so many time you get use to it .

ZTR_MAN
09-22-2008, 04:23 PM
There is a tool on ebay for about 12.00 .Its a break tool for Automobiles.

Can you send me a link or give a better description?

Thanks,

ZTR_MAN
09-22-2008, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by tgcheeseman
how about just taking off the cir clips pulling springs and shoes off at the same time saving springs from being over strecthed then the springs easily come off of the shoes then put springs back in shoes by your hand not tugging and pulling and place shoes back over studs then put your cir clips back on done not pulling on springs/

I looked at this way as an option but I hadn't tried it YET!!!

The reason I made the post was to see if there is a need for a tool to make life easier in replacing the shoe springs. This past Saturday Johnny (my bro) and I built a tool to install and remove the springs. It works great just need to make it look presentable in ZTR Style. :)

I appreciate the input from all.

Thanks,

Nichols Atvs
09-22-2008, 05:19 PM
Build it and they will buy! make sure you look at the dr pulley one also James they are a little different .

09-22-2008, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by ZTR_MAN
I looked at this way as an option but I hadn't tried it YET!!!

The reason I made the post was to see if there is a need for a tool to make life easier in replacing the shoe springs. This past Saturday Johnny (my bro) and I built a tool to install and remove the springs. It works great just need to make it look presentable in ZTR Style. :)

I appreciate the input from all.

Thanks, James anything you build is profection and for the profection mini builder they will need this profected tool.if i had a profection tool i would not do as i do on clutch springs. James keep on moving forward on all your products. everyone in mini quad world needs mini quad tools. mini quads are different than any other quad so keep on keeping on. thanks toby

BradLoomis
09-22-2008, 07:18 PM
James,
http://partimages2.genpt.com/partimages/24845.jpg
Item#: SER298
Price: $26.39
http://partimages2.genpt.com/partimages/219523.jpg
Item#: BK 7759039
Price: $7.19
http://partimages2.genpt.com/partimages/219527.jpg
Item#: BK 7759043
Price: $10.49

Nichols Atvs
09-22-2008, 08:00 PM
Hey:D :D Nothing surprises me any more with you. You always have an answer to everything .:D Next time I need something or cant get it. Im just going to call on you ! Your like the guy on the
top of the huge mountain that you have to climb for two weeks to get the answers from . (what every hes called the guru guy Ill call him ) . Thanks Brad again .

Heath

BradLoomis
09-22-2008, 09:03 PM
Heath,
You flat kill me!!!! And my wife doesn't quite agree with you... but that's a different story.

Thanx for the compliment, but I still learn everyday about stuff. I got a photographic memory, but I'm just out of film right now.

ZTR_MAN
09-22-2008, 09:49 PM
Heath you are absolutely right Brad is 'Mr. Know It All'!!! :) That is meant as a compliment. You never know what he is going to come up with.

So Brad on these tools you showed do they actually work? They don't look anything like the tool we pieced together. I am imagining something quite a bit different from what is pictured. Not to knock your Guruism. :D

Thanks,

BradLoomis
09-23-2008, 10:18 AM
James,
They all work... but some work a little easier than others. That is why I use the ice pick version... quick, easy never and issue... and I can make a dry martini at the same time. :D now only if I drank martini's would that be funny.

The bottom set works the best out of the three, becuse they are smaller. I machined the knurled end into a hex so I could get a wrench on it, and a few other modifications. They were slow, but precise in opening the springs to a given distance.

dericsdad
09-23-2008, 07:28 PM
A tool to end the cussing, scream, and bleeding hands when the ice pick slips!!! Or the fun adventure of trying to find the spring that just went zinging acrossed the garage floor!!!

The last set i installed, i finally gave up and took the shoes off. It actually didn't go back together too hard, but it was necessary to clamp the clutch base into a vise to allow you to squeeze the shoes all back into place.

The cheepy shoe springs I got once seemed to over stretch when i tried to "ice pick" technique.

So with new Koso springs in hand I opted for the "shoe removal" technique.

I have tried the automotive style brake spring tools, and they are just a little too large scale to work well for me.

If you build a tool, I would definitly buy one!

QuadJunkies
09-24-2008, 12:03 AM
That is the tool IVe seen used at the track before
http://partimages2.genpt.com/partimages/219523.jpg