PDA

View Full Version : Mods for tall guys?

mopar04
09-19-2008, 09:12 PM
I just purchased a 2008 LT-R450 SE and rode it hard for the first time today, had a blast but there are a couple things that are killing me. I'm 6'5/190lbs so it seems like most of my issues are stemming from my lankyness.

My main problem is that my size 12 Tech8 boot cant fit under the shifter, so I'm literally having to shift with the side stitching of my boot where the boot meets the sole. I think i need the peg about 1.5" farther forward and about 1.5-2" up higher. Are there any aftermarket suppliers that make a peg around this size? I know in theory you can bend them but I don't think that's the smartest option. I do have a ProArmor nerf bar but that doesnt seems to be getting in the way any.

My second issue is that my overall riding position is pretty hunched and cramped, it feels like I'm riding a quad made for a 5'10 guy (which is probably true). What would you guys recommend that might let me sit a little taller and less hunched over?

Thanks a ton in advance for your input!

scuzz
09-19-2008, 09:17 PM
<---- 6'6" 250lbs

:(

That's why I bought a 700XX.

You should have seen how I looked on my 400ex....

mopar04
09-19-2008, 09:25 PM
yeah on most 400/450 quads i feel like a clown riding a miniature bicycle. but, this thing is actually wide and long enough that the overall size isn't too bad. it really feels like the main thing that would help is buying handlebars that are slightly higher, but this is a new area to me and I'm not sure that's what I need

XCRacer236
09-19-2008, 09:59 PM
about the shifter, pull it off, and on the splines tilt it up a couple notches. that will help your boot. and get a taller steering stem and some high handlebars.

hondaracer31
09-20-2008, 12:59 PM
In order to raise the shifter up a notch or 2 you'll need to cut an arch in the sprocket cover. This is mine...

ltrracer
09-21-2008, 08:53 PM
idk if you know it or not but the 08's sprocket covers already have that arch cut out of it from the factory

hondaracer31
09-22-2008, 05:33 AM
I did not know that.

mopar04
09-27-2008, 12:16 PM
thanks for all the input. for anyone looking for similar adjustments; there is a notch cut out for the shift peg but if you need to move it up more than about .5" you will need to enlarge it. Luckily, this piece is only held on by 2 low-torque bolts and is made of plastic so all you need is a roto-dremel to bore it out, which takes about 3 minutes.

LTR98 Rick
10-02-2008, 07:29 PM
I would get a taller stem (+1) or even a taller bar mount. I'm 6'4" and the extra inch and Tag dbl high bars help out a lot. Also moving the shifter up a couple notches will help. And bigger pegs can help with those feet.

bama06300ex
10-21-2008, 11:35 AM
Some people cut the heel guards off, add a spacer, and weld back. I'm 6/4" 240 so I have the same problems, not bad enough to chop on my nerfs, but I've seen some that you couldnt tell they did it unless you look for it. Also, more than likely, when you're sitting on the bike, your legs are at a lot less than a 90 degree angle. I bought the "Desert Seat" from Quadtech and it has almost 1 1/4" more padding, and it makes it a lot easier to go from the sit to stand position. I can tell a big difference at the end of the day. Also.. like said before, moved the shifter up a little, and got a 2" taller steering stem. All together, its rides great now. Good luck.

73watermutt
10-24-2008, 11:40 AM
I feel your pain, I have a size 13 foot.

mopar04
10-27-2008, 06:02 PM
Nice recomendation on the seat, I'll have to look into that. I bought and self installed a +2 houser steering stem which is a much better height, but now all my cables are tight as hell even after sliding the the clutch/break/etc inwards. Is there a way to loosen them elsewhere on the bike or do I have to bite the bullet and pay a pro to lengthen them. I'm familiar with wiring, crimping, soldering, etc; but I'm skeptical of going near the electrical on a $7k brand new EFI controlled quad. Any tips?