PDA

View Full Version : I don't know what to do anymore.

yellow400ex05
09-19-2008, 07:36 PM
I know the economy is not so great and all but I've been searching for several months for a job, and everywhere I've looked, ask and applied to hasn't called or anything, and I just can't take it anymore I'm gonna go broke. I'm 17 just got a license and should enjoy driving my truck but its the fact that I'm spending the money and have no income, so therefore I just lose money hardly ever getting it back , I help out my parents a lot and they give me some money here and there because they know i want a job badly and I have people looking for me but I've had no luck so far.

and I've been thinking about getting rid of my quad... but then I'd have no reason for a truck like mine which is a 1994 k2500 light duty with a 305CI v8, which I couldn't see myself parting with because well it was my dad since practically new and its been well taken care of and i know the history of it.

on top of the fact that I don't want a wimpy little 4 cylinder Honda because I like the room/capability of a truck but I want something with some decent power and good fuel economy wihout getting a manual v8 camaro or a civic. I'd like an s-10 but they are so gutless, and I don't need to have a vehicle that I'm wringing the power of every day because I can't get up to speed fast enough.

Gray33
09-19-2008, 08:23 PM
Dude put your name in everywhere

This year i quit football and my mom said if i didn't play sports then i had to get a job. Plus she kicked me out of the house till i got a job to pay for my quad/gas/etc..

What you know two weeks after i quit football,i got a job washing dishes and when i went to put my app in i got a interview that day. and started working the next day.

and the first week was just me goin to stuiped *** places cuz i didnt really want a job.

But, i will say working is ALOT harder then playin sports

ridered11
09-19-2008, 10:26 PM
^ 2-a-days too hard for you?

09-19-2008, 10:27 PM
Your problem is that you're 17, wait till you turn 18, you can't turn your application into a place without getting a call the next day.

Gray33
09-19-2008, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by ridered11
^ 2-a-days too hard for you?
nope quit after 2 and 3 a days...

long story

ridered11
09-19-2008, 10:43 PM
hah ok

ZeroLogic
09-20-2008, 08:00 AM
Mcdonalds. A restaurant is always looking for dish washers. Pump gas. You havn't checked everywhere. There is nothing worng with a little four banger truck. It cost me 45 bucks to fill my Frontier and it lasts me all week long. It don't have much balls but it gets me to point a to point b and back.

justin1022
09-20-2008, 08:05 AM
maybe if your not into mc donalds and stuff go to a trucking shop they will probly want a clean up boy sweet floors ect.

LTandRaptorider
09-20-2008, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by ZeroLogic
Mcdonalds. A restaurant is always looking for dish washers. Pump gas. You havn't checked everywhere. There is nothing worng with a little four banger truck. It cost me 45 bucks to fill my Frontier and it lasts me all week long. It don't have much balls but it gets me to point a to point b and back.

You may have to change your name from "Zero Logic"! ;)

Always some job out there... May not be one you want, but at 17 beggers can't be choosy. And it will get you work history. Make sure whatever it is you do, do it well. Time to start building up a good resume. Also, while you have no income, you can't have any expenditures. :cool:

Mxjunkie
09-20-2008, 08:12 AM
There is jobs everywhere you just have to look for them.. the pay isn't always great but as long as you can pay your bills thats all that matters..

One idea is body shops. They always need apprentices, sweep up the shop, order parts, prep parts.. you can make 10-15 an hour at some places and it fairly simple work..

Farms are good for your health ( you'll work your *** off ) and decent pay if you find the right one.

justin1022
09-20-2008, 08:22 AM
actullly a farm is a good one! right now we have 4 brand new combines and we cant get no one to run them we only got 1 combine running and we baught a brand new peterbuilt just the other month and i get to drive it cuz we cant get no one to drive truck:o i dont even got my learners! my dad had to even higher a grain hauler because we cant find anyone to run our other truck.

ZeroLogic
09-20-2008, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by LTandRaptorider
You may have to change your name from "Zero Logic"! ;)

If your making fun of the way I wrote that, I was in quite a rush! I didn't want to miss my hair appointment.:scary:

Warnerade
09-20-2008, 03:31 PM
if theres no jobs for you...try another career.

Look for a job that has to do with solar power and wind power...you'll be set for life.

even if its mopping the floors in a solar panel assembly plant, you'll always have something todo.

tgreenz400
09-20-2008, 05:24 PM
...prostitution:chinese:

LTandRaptorider
09-20-2008, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by ZeroLogic
If your making fun of the way I wrote that, I was in quite a rush! I didn't want to miss my hair appointment.:scary:

No, I was actually giving you props for good ideas... ;)

09-20-2008, 08:38 PM
i got lucky with a job
i'm only 15 but i helped out at this place 4 a day and the guy told me tht when i turn 16 just bring him working papers and he'll hire me

but if i were u i'd apply everywhere, check the paper, internet, everywhere

Anvil
09-20-2008, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by yellow400ex05
I know the economy is not so great and all but I've been searching for several months for a job, and everywhere I've looked, ask and applied to hasn't called or anything, and I just can't take it anymore I'm gonna go broke. I'm 17 just got a license and should enjoy driving my truck but its the fact that I'm spending the money and have no income, so therefore I just lose money hardly ever getting it back , I help out my parents a lot and they give me some money here and there because they know i want a job badly and I have people looking for me but I've had no luck so far.

and I've been thinking about getting rid of my quad... but then I'd have no reason for a truck like mine which is a 1994 k2500 light duty with a 305CI v8, which I couldn't see myself parting with because well it was my dad since practically new and its been well taken care of and i know the history of it.

on top of the fact that I don't want a wimpy little 4 cylinder Honda because I like the room/capability of a truck but I want something with some decent power and good fuel economy wihout getting a manual v8 camaro or a civic. I'd like an s-10 but they are so gutless, and I don't need to have a vehicle that I'm wringing the power of every day because I can't get up to speed fast enough.

For a start get your priorities right! you have no job, you think you are going to go broke but for you the type of vehicle you drive is a priority. You have got to be joking!

If you can't afford the truck get rid of it, that simple.

ZeroLogic
09-20-2008, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by LTandRaptorider
No, I was actually giving you props for good ideas... ;)
Aha! Thanks bro.

jesseweaver
09-21-2008, 06:15 AM
lemonade stand till you find a job:ermm:

yellow400ex05
09-21-2008, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by Anvil
For a start get your priorities right! you have no job, you think you are going to go broke but for you the type of vehicle you drive is a priority. You have got to be joking!

If you can't afford the truck get rid of it, that simple.

Well It would be stupid to get rid of this truck lol I didn't have to pay for it because my dad gave it to me since he has his own truck to drive and it helped him and I out, and at least I take care of it lol, so even though I drive a gas guzzler its cheaper in the long run because I didn't have to go out and buy a vehicle like my brothers did. Plus I got 3 brother that drive 4 cylinder vehicles so thats good enough for me in case I need a ride.

Oh and ironically I got a call this morning from the golf course I applied to about 2 or so weeks ago! I had an interview this morning, and he said he'd call in a couple days. :macho

bwamos
09-22-2008, 02:04 PM
It's important to be assertive and confident but not agressive.

When you take in an application and drop off a resume' talk to the receptionist and ask good questions. Show interest in the company and a desire to work with them. Show that you have done research on them. But, keep it short. Don't drag it on and waste their time. That receptionist is the one who hands the resume over to the decision maker. They are the eyes and ears of the HR person / boss. That's what get's you the interview.

Also make a call if you haven't heard from them within a week. They get busy and forget. A courteous, Hey, look at me. I really am interested" call. ;)

bossman525
09-22-2008, 03:54 PM
Well It would be stupid to get rid of this truck lol I didn't have to pay for it because my dad gave it to me since he has his own truck to drive and it helped him and I out, and at least I take care of it lol, so even though I drive a gas guzzler its cheaper in the long run because I didn't have to go out and buy a vehicle like my brothers did. Plus I got 3 brother that drive 4 cylinder vehicles so thats good enough for me in case I need a ride.

Oh and ironically I got a call this morning from the golf course I applied to about 2 or so weeks ago! I had an interview this morning, and he said he'd call in a couple days. :macho
first of all, when you go looking for a job, put on your sunday's best clothes, not just for your interview, they might want to talk to you when u pick up your application. a nice, clean appearance helps. second, DO NOT MAKE PHONE CALLS. in my line of work i do alot of hiring and i will not even interveiw someone that is dressed like crap or that calls me checking on there app. be persistent, check back with them every other day, that just tells them that you want to work. and third, take whatever job u can get and bust your *** at it. a job history is like credit, if you screw it up you get bad rates on loans and such, same goes with job history, you screw that up no one will want to hire you.

bwamos
09-23-2008, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by bossman525
DO NOT MAKE PHONE CALLS. in my line of work i do alot of hiring and i will not even interveiw someone that is dressed like crap or that calls me checking on there app. be persistent, check back with them every other day, that just tells them that you want to work.

So instead of making a courteous call you reccomend showing up at the front desk in person every couple of days?

Where I work that is not an option, since you need an appointment to just get in the front door. ;) It's been about 15 years since I've had a job that had public access so a phone call or a letter is the only option. So that is probably good advice for a job that deals with the public. Shows you can get up off of your butt.

Also, if you do get an interview I ALWAYS write a thank you note thanking them for their time and their consideration. Mail it the same day. Write it by hand, neatly. And, write it on high quality stationary with a good pen.

Oh, and NEVER use accronyms or texting language on a app or resume. ;)

bossman525
09-23-2008, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by bwamos
So instead of making a courteous call you reccomend showing up at the front desk in person every couple of days?

Where I work that is not an option, since you need an appointment to just get in the front door. ;) It's been about 15 years since I've had a job that had public access so a phone call or a letter is the only option. So that is probably good advice for a job that deals with the public. Shows you can get up off of your butt.

Also, if you do get an interview I ALWAYS write a thank you note thanking them for their time and their consideration. Mail it the same day. Write it by hand, neatly. And, write it on high quality stationary with a good pen.

Oh, and NEVER use accronyms or texting language on a app or resume. ;)
well put. as a matter of fact my job is out in the public, it is a grocery store that employs over 200,000 people nation wide. so yea i'm right out in the open working so i'm very accsesable. in bwamos's line of work, then yes, a phone call is your only option. what i'm trying to say is, myself and i'm sure bwamos included are old school at finding jobs and i think if you use some of the simple tools that bwamos and myself have given i'm sure that you will find a job

Anvil
09-23-2008, 11:13 PM

I hope it works out good for you.