PDA

View Full Version : Now don't shoot the messanger!! another X-6 vs. LRd pipe question???

400exBro
12-09-2002, 06:12 PM
please don't go fliping out and go yaddy ya about how many times this has been brought up. Yes i have done a search for pervious threads and post and have found nothing that helped me decide.... One thread all x-6, they are recomended and another the lrd is recomended....

Now i am going to set up a poll and could some people write a little review too so we(the buyers becuase there is more then just me) are able to get more insight into the product...

I am looking for a pipe with best gains in mid and top with out lossing bottom???

Best sounding 4 stroke rumbling without that annoying loud sound??

is the lrd cermaic coated??? is the pipe availble in different colours ??? will it last long or just peel or come off after a while??? are there major jetting changes need to be made ?? i am running a 160 main and 3rd from the top (needle) and a 42 pilot on my e-seris with 4 holes in the air box with K&N air filter?

Am i able to get the X-6 in different colours??

Last just give a truthful opion on why i should buy this pipe over the other, what gives pipe your vote (other than you owning it) becuase i want to pay and get what i pay for??
i am planing on running a 416 kit later on with sparks cam, 11.1 or 12.1 comp. piston, and a 39mm carb and port and polish....

thanks for your time, and i am sorry to those who are annoyed by these posts becuase sometimes i am but my further is wanting to know some these answers...

Thanks

Bro

12-09-2002, 06:21 PM
im also debating on LRD vs. Sparks:blah

I think i am goin to go with sparks just bc. no real reason. they are both good

DESDAK4
12-09-2002, 06:51 PM
I have just got done with tons of research on this very subject and I say go with the Hetrick. It is a very nice pipe and customer service was awsome.

Jay
USAF

12-09-2002, 06:59 PM
go with tc...i love mine. plus alotta pros run it so its gotta be good

Dave400ex
12-09-2002, 07:12 PM
TC all the way!!!!

optikid123
12-09-2002, 07:18 PM
i was originally gonna get a sparks then called the quadshop and they carry LRD so i said wtf they are almost the same and all i can say is i love the pipe. bolted right up, and sounds awsome. also gives great power

OutlawEX
LRD LRD LRD LRD LRD LRD LRD LRD LRD LRD LRD LRD

RiPPiNiTuP7
I like LRD the best personally, but either of the ones your considering are an excellant choice.

12-09-2002, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by OutlawEX
LRD LRD LRD LRD LRD LRD LRD LRD LRD LRD LRD LRD

oh yea well..

TC TC TC TC TC TC TC TC TC TC TC TC TC TC TC TC TC TC

OutlawEX
12-09-2002, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by fourzerozero

Oh yea,LRD LRD LRD LRD LRD LRD LRD LRD LRD LRD LRD LRD

RiPPiNiTuP7
12-09-2002, 07:30 PM
LMAO :blah

mopar 400
12-09-2002, 07:35 PM
DR DR DR DR DR DR DR DR DR DR DR DR DR

J/k
But both are awesome. I have the X6 and can say it is in the top 5 pipes out there.

X6, Duncan Racing, Lrd, TC, and Hetricks

phatswinn
12-09-2002, 07:38 PM
there all better than mine there all better than mine there all better than mine there all better than mine there all better than mine there all better than mine there all better than mine there all better than mine there all better than mine there all better than mine there all better than mine there all better than mine there all better than mine there all better than mine there all better than mine there all better than mine there all better than mine there all better than mine there all better than mine there all better than mine there all better than mine there all better than mine there all better than mine there all better than mine there all better than minethere all better than mine there all better than mine there all better than minethere all better than mine there all better than minethere all better than mine there all better than mine there all better than mine there all better than minethere all better than mine there all better than mine there all better than mine there all better than minethere all better than mine there all better than mine

:D :huh

mopar 400
12-09-2002, 07:38 PM
sparks is a better pipe all around your low an mid are great an your top just keeps pulling. just my 2 cents I"M VERY HAPPY WHITH MINE.......... :D :D

DESDAK4
12-09-2002, 07:51 PM
The only real diff. between the Hetrick and the X-6 is that the Hetrick is 100+ less exspensive and the stickers are diff. IMO

Jay
USAF

billyblaster
12-09-2002, 07:54 PM
LRD LRD LRD LRD LRD LRD LRD LRD LRD LRD LRD LRD LRD LRD LRD LRD LRD LRD LRD LRDLRD LRD LRD LRDLRD LRD LRD LRD LRD LRD LRD LRD LRD LRD LRD LRDLRD LRD LRD LRD LRD LRD LRD LRD LRD LRD LRD LRDLRD LRD LRD LRD LRD LRDLRD LRD LRD LRD LRD LRD LRD LRD LRD LRD LRD LRD LRD LRD LRDLRD LRD LRD LRD LRD LRD LRD LRD LRD LRD LRD LRD LRD LRD LRDLRD LRD LRD LRD LRD LRD LRD LRD LRD LRD LRD LRDLRD LRD LRD LRD LRD LRD LRD LRD LRD LRD LRD LRD;)

12-09-2002, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by deslacs400ex
The only real diff. between the Hetrick and the X-6 is that the Hetrick is 100+ less exspensive and the stickers are diff. IMO

Jay
USAF well if they are the same. and the hetrick and the lrd is the same then is all comes down to who's is the cheapest..i say hetrick
www.hetrickracing.com

jb400exxx
12-09-2002, 08:06 PM
T-4 T-4 T-4 T-4 T-4 T-4 T-4 T-4 T-4 T-4 T-4 T-4 T-4 T-4

12-09-2002, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by jb400exxx
T-4 T-4 T-4 T-4 T-4 T-4 T-4 T-4 T-4 T-4 T-4 T-4 T-4 T-4 no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no

12-09-2002, 08:15 PM
pro circuit can lick my anus. theyre all long and stuff. not feelin em. umm but yah..

12-09-2002, 08:17 PM
bling bling

400exBro
12-10-2002, 04:49 AM
from the votes it looks like people really like the lrd ....
but how long can i run the lrd with headers on a stock motor.,.,., i won t be getting the 416 kit till next winter, so it would run over summer on a stock motor with filter and jets,..,,..,

with the tc pipe, i have heard it is really loud, is this ture.,.,.,., i dont want a loud annoying pipe becuase i ride around my house ocasinaly, to get the bike and my self warmed up...

but dont the dyno show that the x-6 makes a little more power.,,.,. and some say it sounds better than the lrd, can any clarify those 2 points,.,,.,.,.

thanks again

Bro

Maryland 400EX
12-10-2002, 05:00 AM
400 EX Bro, I will answer this in 6words: YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR! Sparks X-6 makes more power than ANY OTHER PIPE for the 400 EX and judging from your plans, horsepower is your goal. Be smart about it. Let your competition go and buy all the other inferior pipes while you enjoy the sweet sounds and raw power of the X-6! Personally, I'm going with the Sparks 465 Motor so there's only one choice in my book. ... Just my $.03 of course!

400exBro
12-10-2002, 05:16 AM
thanks for the input.....
that is what i am looking for,,, i way i should buy this pipe over the other...,.,.,.,.,

Also can someone post links or referances to those 3 pipes were i am able to get more info and other riders inputs about this pipe.,.,.,,. (other than lrd and sparks web page)

Also are both pipes cermaic coated.,.,., i now lrd is availble in crome, but i don t want to spend that extra money if it just turns blue...,., Am i able to get the x-6 in a different colour other than the shiney aluminum colur.,.,., Not that it doesn t look good but the lrd with a red finish looks sweeeeeeettttt....

thanks again

Bro

RiPPiNiTuP7
12-10-2002, 06:25 AM
The LRD is available in chrome, or ceramic...

Racer over 40
12-10-2002, 06:37 AM
I have run both TC and the Sparks X-6 on my basically stock motored 400 EX. The only mods being 16T front sprocket, K&N filter,lightened flywheel, Sparks advance key, re-jetted carb. The Sparks pipe outperformed the TC pipe in every category(low, mid, top end). The TC pipe is great looking pipe when installed, makes lots of noise( my mechanic nicknamed it the Sonic Blaster) but does not peform near that of the Sparks pipe. The only way I could get the TC pipe to perform better to my liking was to remove the TC end cap and install a 12 disc Supertrapp end cap assembley. Maybe the TC pipe needs a built motor to perform to it's capability. As you can tell by my lengthy response I am highly recommending the Sparks X-6 to any one. By the way I still have a TC pipe assembley in like new condition to any one that is interested.

DESDAK4
12-10-2002, 12:12 PM
I don't really care to flame or fight on this board because I really enjoy being in here but once again there is noway that any pipe for the 400ex is worth an the extra 150 bucks over another. I do agree with you get what you pay for but, there are certain times when that is just false IMO. For the 400ex it basicly comes down to what looks you want, who you want to build your motor and how much money your ego feels you need to spend to be the best.

Jay
USAF

TrX465
12-10-2002, 12:32 PM
theres a reason why i have the lrd big bore exhaust ;)...you think ive never had the sparks x-6 your wrong for some odd reason i made 2 hp more :D but hey what do i know

QuadTrix6
12-10-2002, 12:34 PM
through experience i have learned to do it right the first time. IMHO i would go with curtis sparks who has been in the game for a long time and was just awarded engine builder of the year. yea its expensive but ya know what IMO its worth it. i have rode a 400 with a sparks and the gains are sick, its like a whole new more powerfull bike, either way you go you'll be happy, but if your serious about it go with the sparks...just my opinion :devil

Sparks425Ex
12-10-2002, 01:33 PM
TC or Sparks. LRD is ok but not as much power added as Sparks adn TC.

And as for Pro Circuit. THey are just like 4 stroke FMF pipes. JUNK. They are all mainstream and do not care if they perform well with your engine. Get a real engine builders pipe. TC and Sparks are the top of the charts. FACT

Dave400ex
12-10-2002, 01:53 PM
The Sparks and LRD look about the same, and I like the LRD better, plus it's cheaper so I would get the LRD before the Sparks. You also have to remember that the Sparks is a full system and the tc is only a silencer. If the tc had a headpipe it would be just like the Sparks..

Sparks425Ex
12-10-2002, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by deslacs400ex
I don't really care to flame or fight on this board because I really enjoy being in here but once again there is noway that any pipe for the 400ex is worth an the extra 150 bucks over another. I do agree with you get what you pay for but, there are certain times when that is just false IMO. For the 400ex it basicly comes down to what looks you want, who you want to build your motor and how much money your ego feels you need to spend to be the best.

Jay
USAF

About the Ego thing:

You take a complete Pro Circuit and I will take Sparks x-4 or x-6(your choice)

And we will race. 300 Ft and 1/4 mile. On a stock quad.(After Rejetting)

We will see if my extra money paid off. I garuntee it will. Because I have done it. The Sparks and Tc pipes have more bottom end then any other pipe out there. I never rode on an LRD. But I heard they aren't showing as much bottom end or improvement as a Sparks or TC.

O yeah. BTW: I have been looking at the Hetricks pipe. My friend wants a new pipe and doesn;t want to get a Sparks cause he doesn;t wanna copy me. So he asked me which Pipe he shoudl get. I told him TC but I was also looking at Hetricks. How do they sound. Where did the pipe help out? Top Middle or bottom. Thanks.

DESDAK4
12-10-2002, 02:37 PM
I am not talking main stream pipe I am only comparing pipe such as LRD, Sparks (either one), Trinity, Hetrick. The Hetrick is almost the same pipe as the Sparks only it is 434 and ceramic coated. My pipe isn't here yet but I will be sure to let everyone know how it works out. The only point I am trying to make is the .2 or so hp you are going to make with the sparks is not worth extra $$$. Wrong or right I would but my Hetrick piped bike against a Sparks piped bike, I am that confident in my research over the last 4 long months. This is just my opinion of course.

Jay
USAF

400exBro
12-10-2002, 04:27 PM
does anyone have links or web pages were i can read about happy costumers you run that pipe, and reviews and such?????

what about sound, does the x-6 have a nice deep throaty 4 stroke sound??? what about the fit of the x-6???

Same with the lrd, nice sound??? I seen that the lrd comes closer to the engine and not the oil tank which could cut down on heat, does the lrd fit nice???

Now which one has the best sound and will have the best fit for the buck?????

thanks a lot for your help i am surprised how many peo-ple responed....

Bro

Maryland 400EX
12-10-2002, 04:45 PM
400 EX Bro, I can't believe you're still shopping pipes after you were told that the X-6 is THE PIPE. As for sound, I doubt if many riders here have had the opportunity to hear all of the different pipes back to back to make a comparison but I will tell you that the X-6 has a throaty, robust sound which multiplies when the RPM's are up. Lots of folk say that the X-6 doesn't justify the extra cost but those are the guys that I'll be puttin' a hurtin' on with my 465 National Sparks motor!

DESDAK4
12-10-2002, 05:14 PM
I recon I will just spend my time loosing:rolleyes:

12-10-2002, 05:32 PM
it's hard to argue with people that buy stuff because dana creech or some other pro runs it. hetrick and lrd over sparks any day. i bet half the people saying sparks have never ridden one. and lrd has been around for a long time.

Bean
12-10-2002, 05:54 PM
i thought i would throw this in, but a FMF SST/Fatty (forget which one) pipe on a 250r puts out ONE more ponie than a LRD Team B 250 race pipe, now this is before porting, and all that other stuf, but its just some info for all u FMF haters

Dave400ex
12-10-2002, 06:15 PM
I like the new FMF titanium 4's. They look very nice, plus light weight. The HMF's are also good pipes that a lot of guys are using now. It just seems that most guys prefer to run the motor builders pipes. I think they make more power myself... With the 400ex you won't feel much of a difference from pipe to pipe....

Maryland 400EX
12-10-2002, 06:17 PM
MX 132: Ok lets compare from the June 2001 edition of ATV Sport Magazine Pipe Comparison... First off, Hetricks didn't enter the shootout so I won't mention their product but LRD there and so was Sparks. At 20 MPH, Sparks and LRD made 10 HP. At 30 MPH, Sparks and LRD made 17.5 HP. At 45MPH, the Sparks made 28HP and the LRD made 26HP. At 50 MPH, the Sparks made 27.5 and the LRD made 26 HP. At 60 MPH the Sparks made 23.5 HP and the LRD made 20 HP. The gains are minimal but they are there. The White Brothers E made better numbers than the LRD to be truthful.

Dave400ex
12-10-2002, 06:24 PM
That was the OLD LRD pipe. They have since then made a new and better design that has more power....

Maryland 400EX
12-10-2002, 06:27 PM
Warriorman, I agree 100% when you say that you won't feel much of a difference from pipe to pipe, but when you're doing mods you want a pipe that will enhance those mods. After porting, piston, cam and carb one part will become the bottleneck limiting performance and I darn sure don't want it to be my pipe! You feel me? I see lots of guys here buying pipes that offer no more than noise according to ATV Sport like: Big Gun, DG, Pro Circuit and TC. When it's time to make HP, don't let your pipe be your limiting factor!

Dave400ex
12-10-2002, 06:33 PM
The TC makes noise, but it makes power. Most guys just look at the peak horsepower number. Take a look at the bottom end, I don't think there is many, if any making more low end power then the TC. I have talked to Tom many times for a long time, and he is all about torque. He isn't just have that peak number, his bikes make monster torque. Actually the more motor work you have the better the TC gets too...

Maryland 400EX
12-10-2002, 07:04 PM
Okay, let's look into the performance of the TC Racing pipe. At 20 MPH it makes the same HP (8hp) as stock, at 25 MPH it makes 2 HP over stock, at 30 MPH it makes 2 HP over stock, at 35 MPH it makes the same as stock, at 40 MPH it makes 1/2 HP LESS THAN STOCK! at 50 MPH it makes 1 LESS THAN STOCK and at 60 MPH it makes 1/2 HP LESS THAN STOCK. Not too good my friend. You could argue that a guy could keep that $375 in his pocket unless he wants noise... Are we talking about the same TC Pipe? This pipe happens to bolt up to a shortened stock headpipe which has 5" taken off the rear, plus you have to drill a hole in the frame to mount TC's modified Supertrapp silencer. The writeup says it looks and sounds nothing like a Supertrapp though. Also says that it is a very loud system built for racers.

Dave400ex
12-10-2002, 07:07 PM
Yep....

12-10-2002, 07:14 PM
well.. i my self don't belive in info unless you gather it your self. i don't car what any magazine or even dyno run says. if the powers not in the right place it dosen't matter. no mx rider goes 60 mph on the track or if they do it's not for very long.

Maryland 400EX
12-10-2002, 07:30 PM
I hear ya MX 132... I just happened to have the magazine in front of me but it's no big deal. I'm just passing time until the weekend. I've got a date with a Z-400 that handed my arse to me last weekend but this time I've got my pipe installed and carb rejetted. Luckily, this guy doesn't modify his bikes. If he gets by me this weekend he's going to have to deal with my 39MM FCR and Ignition Key next weekend. This guys going to run into a BUZZ SAW sooner or later. We ran top end at least 10 times last week and I was PISSED! He had a grin on his face like Dick Dastardly as his ugly White Z-400 eased on by. I'll have a Sparks cam by New Years and I'm going to draw tears from his eyes!

400exBro
12-11-2002, 04:57 AM
could some with the lrd pipe post some pics of the headers and how they mount.,.,.,.,

Same with the x-6,

it got me thinking that the lrd doesn t make that much less than the x-6, but is a lot cheapier, so why not just buy that ,..,.,.,., LRD has the championships behind them to prove it.... i think 17 gnccs and 12 or so (i think) Gncs, so they must be doing something right.....
The only thing is which one will get better performance when i install my 416 kit with 11.1 or 12.1 comp piston, high lift cam, harden rockers etc.... and a 39mm carb,..,.,.,.,.,.,
That is what i am also looking at,.,.,.,.,.,

Thanks

Bro

Maryland 400EX
12-11-2002, 06:02 AM
I give up 400 EX Bro. I'm convinced that you don't want to run with the big dogs... Go ahead and get the LRD pipe and maybe you'll be lucky enough not to run into a modded 400 EX with the Sparks pipe installed. :(

RiPPiNiTuP7
12-11-2002, 06:42 AM
Originally posted by Maryland 400EX
I give up 400 EX Bro. I'm convinced that you don't want to run with the big dogs... Go ahead and get the LRD pipe and maybe you'll be lucky enough not to run into a modded 400 EX with the Sparks pipe installed. :(

:rolleyes: It's just an exhaust man, theres not that much of a difference from one good name brand to the other.

400exBro, check this out:

http://www.off-road.com/atv/projects/400ex/lrd/gallery/

400exBro
12-11-2002, 02:06 PM
Maryland 400ex- i didn t give up on sparks pipe, i thinking i am going to go with the sparks pipe.... I am just making sure....

how long did it take for it to get to you maryland,.,.,.,.

first i got to sell my e-seris, and i will order it, should i go stright through sparks,..,,..,

also should i go with the stainless steel or cermaic coated,..,., (can i get different colours with the cermaic coated like the lrd,..,.,,..,.,.,)

thanks again, i can t wiat

Bro

Maryland 400EX
12-11-2002, 02:35 PM
Good move Bro. You will thank me later. Anyway, I ordered mine from East Coast ATV in Pennsylvania because they're closer to where I live than Sparks (Cali) and it took one day (Not counting the stupid UPS guy). Their number is 215-541-4985. $490 shipped. As for different coatings, I'm the wrong one to ask.

400exBro
12-11-2002, 05:34 PM
thanks
i will e-mail sparks tonight...
lata

Bro

400exBro
12-11-2002, 06:15 PM
maryland- do you have the adavnce timing key on your ex???

do you think it is worth the 15$, and will it work with a 416 with a 11.1 or 12.1 comp piston???

lata

Bro

12-11-2002, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by Maryland 400EX
I give up 400 EX Bro. I'm convinced that you don't want to run with the big dogs... Go ahead and get the LRD pipe and maybe you'll be lucky enough not to run into a modded 400 EX with the Sparks pipe installed. :( ok..I GUESS IF WE ALL DON'T RUN SPARKS WE'LL BE SLOW.. EVERYONE SELL YOUR PIPE AND GET A SPARKS RIGHT NOW!

Maryland 400EX
12-11-2002, 07:50 PM
MX 132: Thats the message that should be a sticky! That may have been the best statement you've ever posted for those that intend to do motorwork. 400 EX Bro, I ordered the Ignition Key with my 39 MM FCR yesterday so it hasn't gotten here yet. Everyone says that it's no big power adder but it's worth the $15. Sparks says that it made 1/2 HP on the dyno but its real benefit is slightly better acceleration throughout the powerband. I wouldn't run it with high compression because all the testing I did with my streetbike indicate that high compression motors don't like advanced timing. I got on Sparks list today to get my cylinder head done so I'll tear the motor down whenever I get the call.

DESDAK4
12-12-2002, 10:25 AM
I think I will jsut save the extra money for the beer after my victory.:D

Jay
USAF

Dave400ex
12-12-2002, 02:05 PM
I can not believe you guys with these Pipes. Look at the LRD, Sparks, and Hetricks, they are all like the exact same. I would go with the LRD or Hetricks for less money, same quality, same power. Better yet with the Hetricks, for the money you save over the Sparks just get a JE Piston and beat the guy with the Sparks bad.

12-12-2002, 02:13 PM
Then it's settled. IM" sellin the powerbong Bills thunder combo and gettin a RCM DG chrome setup,,thanks for the help guys..:eek:

DESDAK4
12-12-2002, 02:40 PM
That is basicly what I am trying to get at Warriorman. Not to mention the the Hetrick is ceramic coated as well.

Jay

400exBro
07-27-2003, 05:02 AM
any other thoughts to put in this post??

Giz400ex
07-27-2003, 05:12 AM
I've had the LRD and the Sparks. I like the LRD better!!! I believe LRD has just released there new Pro-4 exhaust system. I knew they had the new style out but I think this is the newer one:eek2: I'm not sure though:confused:

Bender
07-27-2003, 05:25 PM
The funny thing is how magazines use HP to rate pipes. HP nowadays seems like some kind of generic terrm to rate wich product is better. When in reality it's torque the matters. One pipe could have a little more HP(say Sparks) and one pipe could have a little more torque (lets say LRD). The pipe with more torque will accelerate better. Don't always go for the most HP. If the copany doesn't state the torque specs, email them for the specs. Then compare. Many of you have probably heard the saying " Horse power sells cars, Torque drives them".

Sporttrax400ex
07-27-2003, 05:39 PM
im gonna go with hetric prolly or lrd..