PDA

View Full Version : Found Sugar in my Gas Tank

liquidivide300
09-19-2008, 01:13 PM
I found sugar in my 05 450r on Monday afternoon. I drained the tank, and rinsed it out several times I also cleaned the carb several times as well. I used the tank and fuel line from my 04 450r and the quad runs for about 10 minutes and then will die. After that ten minutes I have to clean the carb again and it will then fire right back up. If i don't clean the carb, and try starting it the quad will back fire. Is there anything that i can do besides taking the carb off of my 04? What kind of damage will sugar due to the engine. Any help would be great.

Thanks

coryatver
09-19-2008, 01:22 PM
it is a mith that sugar damages engines. Sugar does not dissolve in gasoline. The grains of sugar would definitly plug up your carb though. If you take it apart and clean it really good and I would change the oil it should be fine.

scuzz
09-19-2008, 01:26 PM
I bet it was sand, not sugar.

gcart2
09-19-2008, 01:29 PM
how it get there

09-21-2008, 04:07 PM
That is so random how did sugar get into your tank????

09-21-2008, 04:38 PM
Did you look on a hunch after someone threatened to do it, or did you find out after riding it a little?

09-21-2008, 05:45 PM
maybe it will make the exhaust smell sweet and make molasses lol I would drain the tank then try and filter the gas and clean the carb with some carb cleaner and i would say your ready to ride.

liquidivide300
09-22-2008, 08:31 AM
Hey guys thanks for the reponse. I have tried everything that was suggested. I guess I will just have to keep working at it until it is finally clean. I was told the spark plug will get coated in sugar, so that will be changed tonight as well the carb from my 04..

To be honest I do not know how the sugar got there. I just moved into my house and I have 5 arces in which I ride and lot of buddies due too. My 04 didn't get touched and that is the bike I ride all the time, but my 05 did and I just got it about 3 months ago.

liquidivide300
09-23-2008, 08:07 AM
Last night I changed the spark plug thinking the old one could be gummed up or fouled, nothing happened the quad would not start and would back fire. I also put the carb from my 04 450r thinking the 05 might still be clogged and still nothing is happening. I am getting gas and have great spark. Is there anything else i should check? I am running out of ideas.

Thanks

QuadJunkies
09-23-2008, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by liquidivide300
Last night I changed the spark plug thinking the old one could be gummed up or fouled, nothing happened the quad would not start and would back fire. I also put the carb from my 04 450r thinking the 05 might still be clogged and still nothing is happening. I am getting gas and have great spark. Is there anything else i should check? I am running out of ideas.

Thanks

How do you know that is was indeed sugar?? I think were all curious to know this .
My guess its just a coincedent and there is something else going on on your quad.

liquidivide300
09-23-2008, 10:25 AM
Because when i emptied the gas tank, i found about a 10 oz cube and it definitly tasted like sugar.

Im starting to think the valves not be closing all the way ill have to check this weekend.

Scro
09-23-2008, 11:01 AM
Because when i emptied the gas tank, i found about a 10 oz cube and it definitly tasted like sugar.

Im starting to think the valves not be closing all the way ill have to check this weekend.

LOL:p That's just funny right there! Hope you get it worked out.

QuadJunkies
09-23-2008, 11:11 AM

WEll,I guess that explains that!:eek:

timmersam
09-24-2008, 07:18 AM
This happened to a buddy of mine. He did not have sugar in the tank but he never cleans his filter and his carb kept coming loose and falling off. Anyways, a couple of us were going over it, it had great spark and it was getting gas and turning over great. Couldnt figure it out, then someone poured alittle oil in the cylinder and it fired right up. The cylinder was destroyed, he was barely getting any compression and he had to get everything redone. I would test the compression if you can. Worst case, thats what it could be. Hope this helps,

Sam

liquidivide300
09-24-2008, 10:28 AM
Yep, that is my next thing to check, but i wont be able to to do it until the weekend. do know what the compression should be for a stock 05 450r with low hours?

400exrider707
09-24-2008, 09:10 PM
Sugar is definitely a bad thing..

let me ask this though...

if it was in the tank....

you tasted it?

So you tasted sugar that had been soaking in a tank of gas?

That doesn't sound sweet tasting...

timmersam
09-25-2008, 08:47 AM
I cant help you with that one but im sure someone here will know that.

Sam

GIXXER1KR
09-25-2008, 09:25 PM
A 10 oz. cube in gas not dissolved.Sound like a crystal meth cube.LMFAO.Last i checked a sugar cube dissolved pretty quick in water never mind gasoline.See if its flammable..Sorry couldn't resist.:eek2:

liquidivide300
09-26-2008, 08:13 AM
I was able to get the bike running again, just pop started and it fired right up and it has been running since. Ill be riding it on sunday so we will see what happens after a few hours of hard riding. thanks for all or your help

coryatver
09-26-2008, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by GIXXER1KR
A 10 oz. cube in gas not dissolved.Sound like a crystal meth cube.LMFAO.Last i checked a sugar cube dissolved pretty quick in water never mind gasoline.See if its flammable..Sorry couldn't resist.:eek2:

gas can't dissolve sugar.

One_Bad_400
10-22-2008, 05:22 PM
i was wondering the same thing? you actually put it up to your toung after it was soaking in gas? lol. thats a desprit man on a mission to find out whats wrong!

warr72
10-28-2008, 09:28 PM
That is a man using every means to get to the root of the problem. That sugar didn't grow in your tank, so you may want to lock em up.

11-26-2008, 08:20 PM
i dont know about you but if i found out who did it i would be kickin some major *** , second do you got little kids? my cousins son put coin in his trx90's gas tank

howd the sugar taste?

Tackett
11-30-2008, 03:05 PM
i would think that the sugar would clog the carb after so long but i think that the little that went by would do more damage to the engine cylinder than anything. because it would work as a grit in the oil causing abrasions on the cylinder. it may cause rust also? not sure though...

sunco
12-03-2008, 05:52 PM
Took the lid off & :eek: NO gas - Whats up with that. Sunoco must have repo'd it

Hey - can a get $10 bucks from ya ;)

RATPACK Z400
12-05-2008, 01:16 PM
sugar in gas turns to clear jello. had friend with 69 firebird someone did it to the carb had clear jello clogging it up I dont think it could damage the cylinder cause it wouldnt make it though hoses and carb before it stops running. pour sugar in jar of gas and see how fast it turns to jello.

RATPACK Z400
12-05-2008, 01:16 PM
sugar in gas turns to clear jello. had friend with 69 firebird someone did it to the carb had clear jello clogging it up I dont think it could damage the cylinder cause it wouldnt make it though hoses and carb before it stops running.