PDA

View Full Version : Some Newbie questions

400exrider13
09-19-2008, 09:23 AM
I just picked up a 2004 Honda 400ex and i have some (probably very dumb) questions. This is my first sport quad and i am kinda treating it like my baby.
1. When checking the oil do i screw the dip stick back in then unscrew and check? of course after cleaning it on the first pull.
2. Is it bad to constantly be shifting between gears i usually find my self using the clutch very often going between 1 2 and 3?
3. Should i turn the gas off all the time or only when i am going to like 12 oclock it or something?
4. What are some things i should do to make sure everything is tight. i just got it and am planning on going for a very very long striaght trail ride with it and i dont want to over heat it. im talking like over 10 miles or so.
and does anyone have any tips?

Mikeman1
09-19-2008, 09:43 AM
1.No
2.Not at all-it's a Sport Quad,have fun on it!
3.Yes,it's a good habit to do to any machine,old or new.
4.Check every nut bolt on it that you can find.

rooster300ex
09-19-2008, 10:08 AM
I'm pretty sure you don't screw the dipstick in when checking the oil.

Mikeman1
09-19-2008, 10:11 AM
Correct-I read the question wrong.

Pipeless416
09-19-2008, 12:09 PM
for your last statement, 10 miles can be covered pretty quickly.. we've done close to 150 miles in a day before without any hint of a problem. :)

TheNewn
09-19-2008, 12:22 PM
No you do not screw the dip stick in, you just set it on without screwing it in and pull it back out.

No its not bad to be shifting constantly, its what the sport quad was made for, just have fun on it.

I never really turn the gas off unless im standing the quad up to wash it. Unless it leaks out/through the carb while its sitting on level ground, i wouldn't worry about it.

10 miles really isnt very far, you can cover it pretty fast on even a 400EX. Just give the whole bike a once over, grab a set of tools/sockets and in a half hour or and hour you'll have everything gone over. If nothing is wrong that is.