PDA

View Full Version : Get extra HP with mild mod's - Dyno tune vid with results. POST UP YOUR HP HERE

mak400ex
09-19-2008, 08:35 AM
If ya really want to wake up your quad and improve the performance add a couple mild mod’s and get it DYNO TUNED… for what it cost I am very pleased - Thanks to the guys @ SANDTRAX for an awesome job.

Different types of mod’s like… (pipe, air filter, header, jetting, cam, lid off, ect) will of course give you different result. The type of mod’s and the quad are going to vary in the results that you get. Just like to share my results and hope other would do the same.

I have attached a vid with before and after results and spec's.

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i155.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid155.photobucket.com/albums/s301/mikody/mkdyno9-08_0001.flv">

Would like to hear from some others that have added some mod's and then got it dyno tune and their results. PLEASE POST UP SOME NUMBERS AND SPEC'S :)

atvmaster0927
09-19-2008, 08:56 AM
Wow those are some impressive numbers!

I wanna get mine done, where can i get it done at?

Dunerider32
09-21-2008, 10:29 PM
got about the same results.
2005 450r
k & n filter lid off
Motoworks fullsystem pipe
hot cam stage three
Venom 12.5:1 piston
165 main jet
neddle on middle clip
Dyno tuned at 44.80 hp and 30.27 torque
not bad for high elevation of utah beats the guys that throw alot more money at there bikes

mak400ex
09-22-2008, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by atvmaster0927
Wow those are some impressive numbers!

I wanna get mine done, where can i get it done at?

Thanks - well the closest i found to ya -- heres a link -

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=362670

i am sure this guy might know some one closer to ya. but if anyone is in or near Oklahoma the place to go is Sandtrax - Awesome tech's.... very reasonable pricing. And they get it right the 1st time - it takes out all the guess work we all do trying to get that perfect tune.

Went out this weekend to test her out....ran with some super mod'ed quads and stay with them, it was in the sand about a 4th gear drag.... did pretty good, will post up a vid this week.

09-22-2008, 07:26 PM
this should be illegal to make my quad look so slow and weak lol my 400ex has power but man 48HP with simple mods dang i wont see that that in my 400ex lifetime. I would be lucky to see 37HP. what did it cost you to dyno and test off hand?

Dunerider32
09-22-2008, 07:47 PM
i got mine done for about $150 that was tuning as well

mak400ex
09-22-2008, 08:16 PM
Hey whatsup FHR,
the 400ex is bulletproof had one and i diff miss it, thay are a great all around quad. my son has one and he stays up with me. must be the rider.... lol

most recent mod's:
Well got a great deal on the cam/kit $150

Cam installed, carb work
and all the dyno tuning time $195

The ride PRICELESS

went from stock 37hp to 48.3hp

not bad for some mild molds

Dyno tuning per hour is around $75 @ SANTRAX
the norm is about an hour to get it tuned in, these guys are fast and great at what they do.

mak400ex
09-22-2008, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by Dunerider32
got about the same results.
2005 450r
k & n filter lid off
Motoworks fullsystem pipe
hot cam stage three
Venom 12.5:1 piston
165 main jet
neddle on middle clip
Dyno tuned at 44.80 hp and 30.27 torque
not bad for high elevation of utah beats the guys that throw alot more money at there bikes

Cool - thats is some great result, you can really tell the diff with every hp added.

The tech's also said that a good rule of thumb is for every 1hp added to ya quad vs stock is about 2 to 3 lengths at the end of the run. (drag race)

09-22-2008, 08:25 PM
I talked to the guy at my local Honda dealer and they do dyno testing and tuning. They charge a lot to tune your carb but I would do it by myself. They guy back in the mechanics department when i taked to him I clearly said how much for the air fuel testing too? he told me $35 for 3 runs and the air fuel testing. So 3 runs I can jeck out my jetting and numbers. If it needs a change I will play with the carb in the parking lot and just buy another 3 runs so it will be $70. They wanted $65 an hour to do the testing and tuning themselves but for that price the pople obviously wouldnt be working at a fast pace they would be in turtle mode. So knowing a dealership they would charge for 2 hours at least.

mak400ex
09-22-2008, 08:38 PM
Your right on with that statement - you will get really close and for the $ it will be worth it,

keep me post on your results

09-22-2008, 08:45 PM
will do. I actually want to do a couple runs at different times. How my quad is now. Then with a 406 10:1 wiseco, possbily HRC cam. Then with that and the 04/05 450r carb. After that i am hoping to be pushing at least 35hp.

mak400ex
09-22-2008, 09:04 PM
Sounds good - you should get pretty close to that HP with all those mod's - it will be one fast 400+ :macho

mak400ex
10-08-2008, 07:49 PM
Heres another my Bro's Dyno tune....

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i155.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid155.photobucket.com/albums/s301/mikody/dynojk_0001.flv">

represent618
10-10-2008, 08:21 AM
Nice numbers. I am going to cam and jet mine when it goes for the valve inspection, probably change to a UNI filter as well.

I noticed the same jet kit that cost $18 online is $60 at my dealership, I picked it up thinking it was marked up maybe $10 but I would not be paying shipping and would "get it now".....I am glad I asked to price check because I was buying a lot of other stuff and would not have noticed until I got home.

mak400ex
10-11-2008, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by represent618
Nice numbers. I am going to cam and jet mine when it goes for the valve inspection, probably change to a UNI filter as well.

I noticed the same jet kit that cost $18 online is $60 at my dealership, I picked it up thinking it was marked up maybe $10 but I would not be paying shipping and would "get it now".....I am glad I asked to price check because I was buying a lot of other stuff and would not have noticed until I got home.

Cool - you will really see a diff in performace when ya get your cam in - yep gotta watch the dealership on their prices, i got the hrc cam/kit and when i got it dyno tuned the tech had everything i needed on site as they tuned it - they are a family owned shop and they treat ya right - no price gouging here. real happy with the cost and work that was done.

GPracer2500
10-11-2008, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
will do. I actually want to do a couple runs at different times. How my quad is now. Then with a 406 10:1 wiseco, possbily HRC cam. Then with that and the 04/05 450r carb. After that i am hoping to be pushing at least 35hp.

I like the plan. And it's something I'm sure lots of people would be interested in reading about.

Depending on things, I'd try and find a good way to communicate why you're really there. You're there for tuning versus just being curious or whatever. If the shop understands that they might look at you as a different kind of customer. You don't want your tuning sessions to be hampered by any set number of runs (unless that ends up being cheaper than some alternative arrangement, I guess).

3 runs for $35 sounds sounds great if you're just curious and want a number. However I've had dyno tuning sessions where my bike was strapped to the dyno for less than 2 hours and we must have done three dozen pulls. Maybe more. It seemed like a whole bunch (big fans kept temps ok). We did not have the benefit of an a/f meter. But still, if I'm gonna be fitting a different carb I'd much prefer some flexibility in the number of runs pulled.

I could be off base but maybe it's something to think about. First time I ever had a bike of mine dyno'd it was something like $40 for a HP chart and an extra $20 for the torque too. I asked about why and was told something that was mostly nonsense. It was zero extra work for them to get both HP and torque. But they weren't really about tuning. They were more about just getting a number and their prices reflected that. I've been to three different dynos now and the last time was great. I was able to participate to an extent that fell just short of me actually operating the bike on the dyno. I did all the jet swaps and other work while the dyno guy worked on other bikes. Then we'd dyno the changes I just made, he might make suggestions, and so-on.

So if you're lucky and you've got choices, you want to find a dyno like that. And if you've only got one choice, you want to turn it into a dyno like that (if possible).

$0.02

GPracer2500
10-11-2008, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by mak400ex
If ya really want to wake up your quad and improve the performance add a couple mild mod’s and get it DYNO TUNED… for what it cost I am very pleased - Thanks to the guys @ SANDTRAX for an awesome job.

Different types of mod’s like… (pipe, air filter, header, jetting, cam, lid off, ect) will of course give you different result. The type of mod’s and the quad are going to vary in the results that you get. Just like to share my results and hope other would do the same.

I have attached a vid with before and after results and spec's.

Would like to hear from some others that have added some mod's and then got it dyno tune and their results. PLEASE POST UP SOME NUMBERS AND SPEC'S :)

cool video! time on the dyno is money well spent!

mak400ex
10-11-2008, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by GPracer2500
I like the plan. And it's something I'm sure lots of people would be interested in reading about.

Depending on things, I'd try and find a good way to communicate why you're really there. You're there for tuning versus just being curious or whatever. If the shop understands that they might look at you as a different kind of customer. You don't want your tuning sessions to be hampered by any set number of runs (unless that ends up being cheaper than some alternative arrangement, I guess).

3 runs for $35 sounds sounds great if you're just curious and want a number. However I've had dyno tuning sessions where my bike was strapped to the dyno for less than 2 hours and we must have done three dozen pulls. Maybe more. It seemed like a whole bunch (big fans kept temps ok). We did not have the benefit of an a/f meter. But still, if I'm gonna be fitting a different carb I'd much prefer some flexibility in the number of runs pulled.

I could be off base but maybe it's something to think about. First time I ever had a bike of mine dyno'd it was something like $40 for a HP chart and an extra $20 for the torque too. I asked about why and was told something that was mostly nonsense. It was zero extra work for them to get both HP and torque. But they weren't really about tuning. They were more about just getting a number and their prices reflected that. I've been to three different dynos now and the last time was great. I was able to participate to an extent that fell just short of me actually operating the bike on the dyno. I did all the jet swaps and other work while the dyno guy worked on other bikes. Then we'd dyno the changes I just made, he might make suggestions, and so-on.

So if you're lucky and you've got choices, you want to find a dyno like that. And if you've only got one choice, you want to turn it into a dyno like that (if possible).

$0.02

That sounds about right - i paid $75 a hour for my dyno tuning, plus parts if needed - for the money spent it was worth it, and the info ya get from the techs is priceless, learned a lot in 1 session.

hastek@aol.com
10-29-2008, 01:33 PM
hey guys my whole family drag races honda quads and i have a 400ex on methanol and nitrimethane it turned 60 horse with a dmc pipe now its got a sparks maybe 65 now it will run 4.5s in 300ft wat do you guys think

hastek@aol.com
10-29-2008, 01:34 PM
my bad typo nitromethane i stil have the 300 in my sig to

mak400ex
10-29-2008, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by hastek@aol.com
hey guys my whole family drag races honda quads and i have a 400ex on methanol and nitrimethane it turned 60 horse with a dmc pipe now its got a sparks maybe 65 now it will run 4.5s in 300ft wat do you guys think

I would say WOW - like to see it got pics and maybe a vid:eek2:

hastek@aol.com
11-11-2008, 01:48 PM
Here it is

chad502ex
11-11-2008, 08:21 PM
I think you were asking for dyno results.... I just posted my 67hp in the dyno section.... :macho

PITT
11-12-2008, 04:08 PM
I guess I will make my first post in someone I know and ride withs thread. I have an 07 TRX450 with Evo R exhaust, 158 main jet, clip in middle of needle, Sparks TT drag cam, K&N and precharger, and pulled rev wire and I'm putting out 47.96 hp. I will also agree that the guys at Sandtrax are awesome. First time I went in there they told me I wouldnt get good dyno results with the EVO pipe, after running it they just kind of scratched thier chins and said "Whoops guess Big Gun started making better pipes". The last time I dyno'd it the power never dipped and wasnt up and down, stayed steady through the whole curve with minor tweaking. We'll see what it looks like after I put the 15:1 head in it and a new accelerator pump in. Till then Ill just sit, wait and scheme on how I can beak MAK!

mak400ex
11-12-2008, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by PITT
I guess I will make my first post in someone I know and ride withs thread. I have an 07 TRX450 with Evo R exhaust, 158 main jet, clip in middle of needle, Sparks TT drag cam, K&N and precharger, and pulled rev wire and I'm putting out 47.96 hp. I will also agree that the guys at Sandtrax are awesome. First time I went in there they told me I wouldnt get good dyno results with the EVO pipe, after running it they just kind of scratched thier chins and said "Whoops guess EVO started making better pipes". The last time I dyno'd it the power never dipped and wasnt up and down, stayed steady through the whole curve with minor tweaking. We'll see what it looks like after I put the 15:1 head in it and a new accelerator pump in. Till then Ill just sit, wait and scheme on how I can beak MAK!

I second that... the EVO pipe helped in ya HP gain and it sounds great. for the power.... dude ya got the HP any more and your going to break something and i am not talking about on your quad lol,

now we got to watch out for the noob.... "CAK" his 450r is pretty quick after we installed the HRC kit and at a buck fiddy he's got the weight advanage:D

crash17c
11-13-2008, 07:16 AM
I have an 05 450r that i race TT with. It has been built with a hot cams stage three, baldwin 14:1 poiston, port and poilished by roberts racing, K&N filter. IT turned 50 hp and 33.8 ft/lbs of torque.

SMS
11-13-2008, 08:05 PM
Thanks for the info guys there is alot of good info.

buck naked-r
11-14-2008, 04:01 PM
i pulled 67hp/43tq out of my 471 trx with +1 valves all around/dasa pipe/stage-3 HC/43mm carb/decked head/13.5 CP piston/and my porting....

the printer was broken when the runs were made, so i'll get the sheets when i go back nextweek

its amazing what you can do when you study these engines and test different things.........but porting is the MOST important thing in the package.

i currently have the head for sale for $300 shipped........you'll NEVER find a head that can pull that kind of power for the price im selling it for.

and i'll give a refund if it does perform to your liking.:macho

SMS
11-14-2008, 04:30 PM
Please tell me more about this please this is what im looking for.

SMS
11-14-2008, 04:50 PM
Can you post a pic of the head please I may want it.

mak400ex
11-14-2008, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by hastek@aol.com
Here it is

Dang looks fast, nice ride:macho

mak400ex
11-14-2008, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by chad502ex
I think you were asking for dyno results.... I just posted my 67hp in the dyno section.... :macho

Now thats some major HP - just took me a little time to find it, the dyno thread was covered in cobwebs.. lol

NICE TUNE, one of the best so far

chad502ex
11-14-2008, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by mak400ex
Now thats some major HP - just took me a little time to find it, the dyno thread was covered in cobwebs.. lol

NICE TUNE, one of the best so far

thanks.

sorry I didn't post a link for others....

here it is...

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=371018

buck naked-r
11-16-2008, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by SMS
Can you post a pic of the head please I may want it. i'll be taking it off the bike this week,i'll post pic's then.

SMS
11-17-2008, 07:55 AM
Ya that awsome good job! I'm working hard to learn about the 06 engine at this point I have one I should dyno today.

mak400ex
11-19-2008, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by buck naked-r
i pulled 67hp/43tq out of my 471 trx with +1 valves all around/dasa pipe/stage-3 HC/43mm carb/decked head/13.5 CP piston/and my porting....

the printer was broken when the runs were made, so i'll get the sheets when i go back nextweek

its amazing what you can do when you study these engines and test different things.........but porting is the MOST important thing in the package.

i currently have the head for sale for $300 shipped........you'll NEVER find a head that can pull that kind of power for the price im selling it for.

and i'll give a refund if it does perform to your liking.:macho

WOW - wish those were my #s

nice job on the build - thanks for posting

WesDS450X
11-20-2008, 09:27 AM
Those numbers are weak sauce just like Honda ATV's (I love my JDM GSR CRX Lol) im pushin 53Hp Just with 300 bucks into my ds450x, now if u ***s gona come over and talk **** in are fourms bring some real ****in HP Numbers! none of that 50 or less hp ***** *** ****

SMS
11-20-2008, 10:35 AM
I think you should tell us how you really feel LOL

Chino886
11-20-2008, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by WesDS450X
Those numbers are weak sauce just like Honda ATV's (I love my JDM GSR CRX Lol) im pushin 53Hp Just with 300 bucks into my ds450x, now if u ***s gona come over and talk **** in are fourms bring some real ****in HP Numbers! none of that 50 or less hp ***** *** ****

Boy are you cool!

Everyone wants to be just like you!

How cool do you feel for posting the above?

Pat yourself on the back and move on!

PITT
11-20-2008, 11:38 AM

First off why would you think anyone in the TRX450 forum gives a rats *** about your HP numbers? Why you may claim to have 53 hp how well does your quad handle, how much does it weigh? You can have all the hp in the world but if you ride a heavy quad or one that handles like a turd then it doesnt matter. I think you also might have made the above post to compensate for something, small penis maybe, or maybe your daddy didnt love you enough. Either way this thread was started just to tell people how to get a few extra hp with MILD mods, not as a pissing contest between what quad is better.

On another note you say Honda ATVs are weak but I can guarantee you'll see more Hondas out at the track or trails then you will Can Am's so you must be basing your opinion of Honda quads on what happens in your little fantasy world, either way your post just pretty much confirmed you place in the douchbag hall of fame.

mak400ex
11-20-2008, 11:46 AM

Wow my thread just got hit by a E-THUG......

An internet thug. They usually sound very tough and scary. Does not show people who they are in public. Probably got picked on in school, comes online to higher their self-esteem. Talks a-lot of non-sense, swearing excessively to compensate for his lack of a life and hatred of humanity for not accepting him.

Ya pretty funny WesDS450X, just keep the negitive stuff on "your forums"

If ya need more attention i am sure the moderators will give ya some....

Chino886
11-20-2008, 12:01 PM
I think you also might have made the above post to compensate for something, small penis maybe, or maybe your daddy didnt love you enough.

Or, maybe his daddy LOVED him too much! :eek2:

PITT
11-20-2008, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by Chino886
Or, maybe his daddy LOVED him too much! :eek2:

I thought about that too which is probably the case. But then again he probably likes playing hide the weasel with anyone who will pay attention to him. :devil:

croaker400ex
11-20-2008, 01:08 PM
I thought about that too which is probably the case. But then again he probably likes playing hide the weasel with anyone who will pay attention to him. :devil:

Yup he is the coolest guy in the whole riders forum

SMS
11-20-2008, 01:32 PM
I bet he is a real plethora of knowledge