PDA

View Full Version : dies when it gets wet

JIMFROMTEXCO
09-19-2008, 07:59 AM
my quad dies when it gets wet ive been having this problem for some time. i re-wired everything and used shrink tubing. i tried to seal around the wire opening on my stator cover. and it still cuts out/stalls when i go threw water, filter is staying dry.
what elses should i check for? its an annoying problem that some times leaves me stranded in the middle of no were. could it be my cdi getting wet? the seals in there look a little worn

86 Quad R
09-19-2008, 08:26 AM
have you tried sealing all connections with a water proof grease, including the plug boot? are the joints on the exhaust sealed good en tight?

JIMFROMTEXCO
09-19-2008, 08:33 AM
you no i didn't even think of exhaust. im gonna have to pull the spring and permatex the front section.
eh i hate the fmf pipe. probably what it is because i can go threw water slowly, its just when i have any amount of speed.

86 Quad R
09-19-2008, 11:49 AM
take and clean the pipe side and the header good ans coat both. do the same with where it goes onto the engine. a lil trick i use is to roll a hi-temp o-ring up on the exhaust flange before placing the exhaust. the o-ring seals against the pipe.

f4istunna
09-23-2008, 07:45 AM
my 265 bogs (wont rev) when i get it wet too. I only notice it when wheelie over a little creek or a puddle pretty fast. going slow or medium pace I usually dont have a problem. I check my airbox and its usually always dry. Im gonna have to make sure the pipe is sealed I never even thought of that.

xlr810
09-24-2008, 09:20 PM
your problem could be as simple as your spark plug cap.

Also might be your CDI.

Or a poor ground.

Good luck. Electrical problems are a PITA!

GOTFEAR
09-24-2008, 09:59 PM
i had this happen to me a few times my stater was getting wet

86 Quad R
09-24-2008, 10:40 PM
all of the above mentioned could be a possibility. nothing should be overlooked. :cool:

wilkin250r
09-25-2008, 02:02 AM
What happens after it dies? Can you start it right back up again, or do you need to let it dry?

Take it to your lawn, fire it up, and start spraying it with a hose. Quads are designed to survive water, it should survive getting wet as long as you don't get it into your airbox. Soak different areas until you find the area that causes it to die, and start checking that area. It's not guaranteed, but you stand a pretty good chance of narrowing down your possibilities.

f4istunna
09-25-2008, 07:26 AM
Good idea wilkin.

I did that w/ the old ladies 400. I ran it in the first race this year cause my bike wasnt finished yet. Every time i would cross a creek or deep puddle it died and usually fired up in a few seconds. After 3rd or 4th stall it was done for (only got 1 1/2 laps in lol)

Went home fired it up sprayed w/ hose and saw mini lightning bolts coming out of the coil. Swapped it out and worked fine afterwards.

My R is a little diff though it doesnt die completley just wont rev out for a cpl mins if i blast through a puddle. Im thinking its sucking it in somewhere but the box is dry.

xlr810
09-25-2008, 07:37 AM
I had that same problem a few years back, f4istunna.

Luckily, I have a couple of Rs. I swapped electrical parts over until the problem went away. Ended up being the CDI in my case.

86 Quad R
09-25-2008, 07:45 AM
that is a sign that water may be getting into the exhaust. doesnt take much.

xlr810
09-25-2008, 08:00 AM
blown base gasket sucking water would do it, too. (though you'd have other issues as well if base gasket is shot)

f4istunna
09-25-2008, 08:09 AM
thanks for the ideas guys. I think im gonna fire it up when i get a chance and get the garden hose out and see what happens.

I know the pipe has high tem silicone at the joints but its been awhile it may have dried up or opened up in a spot or 2 could likely be the problem.

If it were electrical id think it would die completely but could be wrong.