PDA

View Full Version : powercommander tps wire

CarFanatic
09-19-2008, 07:19 AM
I used the little wire tap they sent with the kit to hook this up, has anyone had issues with it? I've read people say to sodder it, but I could get the damn plug off to give me enough room to work on it.

spincr4hire
09-19-2008, 07:42 AM
yeah its a pain, be sure to put lots of di-electric grease around it when you finally get it plugged in

CarFanatic
09-19-2008, 08:15 AM
just grease where it plugs in right?

I'm gonna pick some grease up tonight.

09-19-2008, 01:31 PM
ditch that. it will cut your wire. those taps are pieces of crap. best bet is to hardwire that. soder it and shrink it.

CarFanatic
09-19-2008, 01:35 PM
I couldn't get the damn plug out, so I used the tap.. I know theres alot of people using the tap so I hope it holds up.

09-19-2008, 01:59 PM
yea ul hear more that the taps suck and just cut into your wire. but it weakens it a holelot and when it cuts the wire your bike wont run. and you will be screwed for the day. mike cut in less then a month and ive heard same with others

CarFanatic
09-19-2008, 02:13 PM
whats the trick to unplugging the connector so you can pull it out to have more room?

scuzz
09-19-2008, 02:51 PM
Wire taps are bad and will cause you a real headache down the road (trail).

They are "OK" at best for inside of a vehicle, but on a quad that get's wet and muddy, I would stay as far away from doing that as possible.

I would solder, put dielectric grease (like you put on spark plug boots) on it and then shrink wrap.

DirtyDawg
09-21-2008, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by CarFanatic
whats the trick to unplugging the connector so you can pull it out to have more room?

Take the left side motor mount off to get more room from the front. I couldn't get my fat ax fingers in there so I used a pair of needle nose pliers that are bent to a 45' angle to grab the plug and depress the plug lock tab. (found that tip on a forum somewhere). Popped it right off. Then I eliminated that cheesy ax wire tap, and soldered a lead to the yellow wire with a plug type connector to make pulling the power commander an easy task.

CarFanatic
09-21-2008, 07:01 PM
Does the tab you have to depress face out towards the frame?

I hope to soder this one night this week.

DirtyDawg
09-22-2008, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by CarFanatic
Does the tab you have to depress face out towards the frame?

I hope to soder this one night this week.

yes.