View Full Version : Noise mystery solved?

MtnEX
09-19-2008, 01:10 AM
Well, I had been posting a lot here about an engine noise I was having... even put up a video with sound...

Well, I do think I might have just solved the noise mystery I had.
Not sure, but thinking it's highly possible.

I now think I was getting the noise due to a combination of these 4 items...

1- Operating temperature
2- Questionable fuel delivery
3- Slick oil
4- Timing chain, guides, tensioner & tensioner lifter

In previous threads, I did not have access to the timing tensioner lifter on the back of the cylinder. But the day I took a dive into my carb, once the carb was off I had open access then...

Here's where it gets interesting....

When I took the tensioner lifter plunger out of the back of the cylinder.... well I could put it most of the way back in with the thing fully extended. My timing chain is surely stretched or worn way out. It all probably should be replaced and soon, although I don't know what the service limit is.

Now it gets better, because when I put it back in, finished the work on the carb and put things back together.... well I have not heard the noise a single time since. Not once, so far....

I think the reality could be that with that much play in the chain, anything at all that would add to or create sporadic motion or free over-run motion.... well that would aid in causing the chain to make that tap/clack/knock sound. Even something like decelleration or just letting off the throttle from a neutral rev...

Just the slack-tension slack-tension action of the chain itself, or the chain sort of slapping into something... maybe the guides, tensioner, or some surface in the engine.

I think it was so bad when I had the synthetic oil in because everything was cooled, contracted, more slippery, and therefore lower friction and slower to heat and expand.

That would explain why going to lesser oil made it pretty much go away. It was no longer constant when cold... just at random once in a while.

I think air/fuel delivery and ignition was the actual cause of the random noise on the lesser oil. Just a hardly detectable lesser or better charge/burn... just enough to cause the disruption of natural smooth engine revolutions.

Heck, this might be the explaination for MANY of the unsolved engine noises out there... main points being, have you checked your cam chain and pilot jetting lately?

So what do you all think?...

Mystery possibly solved?
This guy is out in left field?

hypersnyper6947
09-19-2008, 02:12 AM
NICE, sounds solved to me

MtnEX
09-19-2008, 02:38 AM
Originally posted by hypersnyper6947
NICE, sounds solved to me

Someone else may think I rode the short bus here though... lol.. :o

It has been 5 days since I heard it now... some temps down in the 50's and 60's too. But I may yet find I am wrong.

If I am not though, I wonder how many others have the same noise and similar cause? It could make up for the majority of the loud noise people talk about.

I mean I can hear my valvetrain like normal, but I'm telling you, it sounds like sweet nothings to my ears... :scary:

The bad news is though... my cam chain & stuff needs doing. Not a big deal, but I don't want to wait too long. I guess it could come to the point of jumping off and trashing everything.

The big thing for me though is that it honestly is a pretty deep undertaking to change and I can hardly see myself going in like that and just doing the cam chain.

hypersnyper6947
09-19-2008, 02:50 AM
If the cam chain breaks it can wreck your whole top end though, just change it now, get a HD one from gt thunder. All you have to do is take off your cylinder head cover and your right case cover for the chain, not that bad.

With my old carb it would starve my engine for fuel and then the engine would shut off. Right before it would shut off (B/C no fuel) it would start tapping real loud. So the carb thing could have def. helped.

MtnEX
09-19-2008, 04:28 AM
Yeah... I know I can knock it out... but once I get in there that far....

Well, I'm going to want to see most everything. Like while I have the cover and chain off, I'm going to want to take the head off to have a look at the piston... etc...

hypersnyper6947
09-19-2008, 02:14 PM
yea you might as well re ring it, and get some cometic gaskets, check your valves too

It's all quick and easy stuff.