PDA

View Full Version : Ready for the crash

Ryan
09-18-2008, 11:23 PM
This is just something I have been pondering..... I have had many bad crashes due to riding. Last one was a head on collision with a car.... Which stopped me from riding for a few short years.

Im wondering how most of yall react to fast acting accidents while your riding/racing.

We all come close to serious crashes while riding... I came across a serious accident today as I was in 5th gear, bouncing off ruff terrian, while my *** went from the seat to the nerf bar, with my right foot right up in the air. Luckily there was nothing in front of me, as I tried to keep the bars straight from flipping...

Im wondering how most of you prepare for a quick crash. I feel like the next crash that comes to me is gonna be a few broken bones. I seem to freeze up when I see something going very wrong. I feel like, If the quad it read to tumble.... I will be holding on for the ride.... Logically, I should let go and bail out for dear life.

Just wondering how most of you would prepare for fast accidents such as this.

younggun95
09-18-2008, 11:31 PM
Some of the Pros are really good at tuck and rolls. When you go down you might as well tuck your head, do a quick roll, and go right back to your feet and after your quad.

Watched Doug Eichner do a perfect example of this a few years ago. Rolled straight back to his feet and a dead run after his quad that was still moving.:eek:

powermadd400ex
09-18-2008, 11:36 PM
i tense up sometimes to, its a habit i need to break. sorta stuns you and then the next thing you kno your on the ground.
couple weeks ago i came up short on a triple and my rear wheels hit the lip. rear end bucked, my feet came up sorta like a superman and they landed on the rear fender while my chest pounded the handle bars. it was almost like i saw i was coming up short then the next thing i knew i was jus puttin along in pain holding my nuts. then i checked to see if my quad was okay :D

blacknblue#2
09-18-2008, 11:45 PM
Im always good for the famous PANIC REV, then i just ride it out and wait for the outcome haha

hypersnyper6947
09-19-2008, 02:05 AM
I ran over my own leg once...haha

I had no nerfs and hit a little jump that kicked me sideways, i landed on my left tires and it bucked me off but i held on just enough for my leg to slip under the quad while it was still going. Pretty funny for my friends, first thing i checked was my nuts, still there im good.

gcart2
09-19-2008, 03:58 AM
theres many different ways to do it.

1. go limp

2. tuck and roll

3. my favorite.... get KO.

i one cased a 60foot double and it threw me over the bars. my kill cord broke and the bike ran me over. i swear i was being dragged for about 10 seconds. finnally the bike got off me and ran into a fence.

One more at live oak florida. i caught a rut in a corner and flipped me up on my side. put me at the back of the pack. i jujmped on to catch up..... dont remember anything else except for waking up in the middle of the woops section saying "where am i?"

bwamos
09-19-2008, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by Ryan
This is just something I have been pondering..... I have had many bad crashes due to riding. Last one was a head on collision with a car.... Which stopped me from riding for a few short years.

Im wondering how most of yall react to fast acting accidents while your riding/racing.

We all come close to serious crashes while riding... I came across a serious accident today as I was in 5th gear, bouncing off ruff terrian, while my *** went from the seat to the nerf bar, with my right foot right up in the air. Luckily there was nothing in front of me, as I tried to keep the bars straight from flipping...

Im wondering how most of you prepare for a quick crash. I feel like the next crash that comes to me is gonna be a few broken bones. I seem to freeze up when I see something going very wrong. I feel like, If the quad it read to tumble.... I will be holding on for the ride.... Logically, I should let go and bail out for dear life.

Just wondering how most of you would prepare for fast accidents such as this.

1st stay off the roads.. lol. 5000lbs vs 550lbs. Not an even playing field. But, I'm sure you figured that out already...LOL. ;)

Depends on the situation but usually I bail. I don't ride it out. I weigh 190 lbs. The quad weighs 400lbs. It it gets really really out of shape you dont have enough mass to counter. Besides it take a lot less effort to bail roll hop and ride again than fighting 400lbs for 100ft.. lol. When off the quad usually self corrects anyway.

Me hitting the ground hurts a lot less than me hitting the ground with the atv on top of me.. lol. I don't heal as fast as I used too.

Mt riding partner is the opposite. He'll hang on to that thing all the way down a 50ft hill convinced sooner or later he'll stop it.. LOL.

RaptorRacer45
09-19-2008, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by bwamos

Mt riding partner is the opposite. He'll hang on to that thing all the way down a 50ft hill convinced sooner or later he'll stop it.. LOL.

That would defently be me.....im gonna try and save it till it gets rid of me, i wont bail unless gravity forces me 2

toby400ex
09-19-2008, 10:08 AM
First sign it looks like I can't save it, I bail the F off and roll as far away as possible. Usually this this pays off, sometimes Ill make the call too soon and Ill just be there on the ground and the quad never even flipped....Bailing can be fun too!

Ryan
09-19-2008, 10:24 AM
Yeah, Im also one of those people just holdin on instead of bailin, thinkin I can save it. I need to break the habit of freezin up and holdin on. I'd definitly rather bail early than have the quad on top of me.... That never feels good.

BlacknBlue- The panic rev always makes me feel safer :o :macho

*tuck and roll* sounds logical ....... Im debating whether or not I should go out and test that method :D .................. Nahhhh, not today :p .

ZeroLogic
09-19-2008, 10:28 AM
I panic rev it. Your going to get hurt anyway, why not make it look sweet! :macho

Warnerade
09-19-2008, 10:42 AM
i usually stay full throttle up until the point I hit the tree and fly off the quad...

jesseweaver
09-19-2008, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by ZeroLogic
I panic rev it. Your going to get hurt anyway, why not make it look sweet! :macho

and sound sweet:macho you gotta love hearing a 2smoke bouncing the limiter. its best to go out in style

younggun95
09-19-2008, 10:59 AM
I don't recommend trying to practice the roll by actually bailing off the quad.
Just go practice some rolls in your full riding gear. Get the technique down. And make sure you take someone with you to take pictures because I want to see it!!:D

Ryan
09-19-2008, 11:47 AM
LOL... I was kidding about practicing the roll :p .... The only thing that scares me about crashing is hurting my back... Sometimes it feels like my back is held up by one thread. Even the most minor crash could put me out for a few months. Definitly something that worries me.

I can't even get out to ride today.... Just from being very active this week, I gotta take an easy day. I wanted to scream when I crawled out of bed, due to the pressure up against my spine.

fastredrider44
09-19-2008, 11:59 AM
The best thing to do is try to not crash. But yes, I'm good for the panic rev as well. If you can hold on, the panic rev will get you out of a lot of sticky situations.

400ex28
09-19-2008, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Warnerade
i usually stay full throttle up until the point I hit the tree and fly off the quad...

lol

ricksmx865
09-19-2008, 04:16 PM
if its gettin real sketchy ill bail and get the hell away from the quad...... they're heavy and break bones

last nasty wreck i had i went over the bars at the top of this hill on the way down, did a perfect tuck and roll popped right up on my feet start running down the hill turn my head a little to see if i was in the clear and #*bam!!*# bike took me out........ i guess i need to run faster? :rolleyes: :devil:

k4f5x0r
09-19-2008, 05:14 PM
its just so natural when you crash. i had my first crash on the 450 today. i was coming down a steepish hill at our local track. the end slid around too much on the dusty surface then grabbed really hard on the wet stuff.(they have sprinklers there)

it rolled over to the left and i just stayed with it to see if i could keep it up. i couldnt and i bailed infront(probably not the smartest) i landed on my side rolled up onto my feet and got the F*** outta there. i wasnt getting hit in the back by it. luckily i got up and out just intime and it rolled down.

stupid *** rollover switch didnt go off and it flew off the side of the hill and rolled again. 3 times overall. nothing bent besides the handlebars and the stem thank god.