PDA

View Full Version : stock suspension set up

dwb_style
09-18-2008, 08:28 PM
i have a 07 450r and everythings stock. i plan on put long travel suspension set up on it when i get the money. but is there any way i can adjust the stock shocks to make it land better from jumps? i do alot of jumping on big jumps, i got it set as soft as it will go as far as the dampining adjusters. i weigh 135 thats why i have it so soft. would turning up the preload help any?

Sjorge450R
09-18-2008, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by dwb_style
i have a 07 450r and everythings stock. i plan on put long travel suspension set up on it when i get the money. but is there any way i can adjust the stock shocks to make it land better from jumps? i do alot of jumping on big jumps, i got it set as soft as it will go as far as the dampining adjusters. i weigh 135 thats why i have it so soft. would turning up the preload help any?

back the pre load ALL the way off. I was about 150 when i got my R and the shocks were still to hard when fully softened. Just gotta make due with what ya go.

TAZ450r
09-19-2008, 04:07 PM
iv got stock shocks with 2+ std travle houser arms!

and i can't get the front shocks to feel nice:S will a "dual rate spring kit" make the shocks any better?

and will a Mx rear link make any diffrens whit the stock rear shock?

ricksmx865
09-19-2008, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by TAZ450r
iv got stock shocks with 2+ std travle houser arms!

and i can't get the front shocks to feel nice:S will a "dual rate spring kit" make the shocks any better?

and will a Mx rear link make any diffrens whit the stock rear shock?

getting your fronts resprung and revalved will make a world of difference

as for the mx link on the rear, same thing get your rear revalved and resprung with that link you will see night and day difference

TAZ450r
09-20-2008, 03:00 AM
if i just resprung them, will that make any difference?

XCRacer236
09-20-2008, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by TAZ450r
if i just resprung them, will that make any difference?

it will slightly. but its not worth the money to JUST do that.

09-20-2008, 10:22 PM
1st off how long until you get long travel shocks? ask yourself that and justify whether or not its worth dumping money into the stock suspension if you are getting long travel soon. I hear great things about rebuilt stock shocks and how they compare to many aftermarket. I would just keep playing with the stock settings to get them setup for you. Adjusting my shocks just a 1/4 turn with a screw driver made such a difference and I wondered why I hadnt done it sooner. If you spend time on setting them up and keep playing with them you can get them pretty good. Each thing I did made the shocks better. preload adjusted I felt a difference in traction and cornering by lower it to make it right, compression in the stock setting for me was pretty close to good because he stock link has a spike in it so its soft enough to soak it up but then the link kicks in and makes it much stiffer mix between plush over whoops and hitting jumps. Then rebound adjusted I felt that too I slowed it down for me so when i landed it didnt buck back up now when i land it rides away like a luxury car you dont feel much its like floating and then pounding the whoops it is just quick enough to not pack up and it uses a lot of the travel to soak it up.