PDA

View Full Version : burning radiator lines on my walsh

dehner47
09-18-2008, 01:01 PM
i am finishing up my walsh426 in the next few weeks.but i still have a bit of a problem.before i tore it down,i was melting the radiator line that goes into the water pump on my exhaust.i had to boogy rig it up my putting an aluminum soda can around the line so it didn't melt on the pipe the last time i rode it.so my question is,what are you guys doing to prevent this from happening to yours?? are you guys running another spout for the water pump? any help would be really appreciated..

racerx573
09-18-2008, 01:21 PM
What spout are you running from yours? The WRC one?

I have a Laeger frame, I used the spout from a YFZ450 that comes out of the head.

Does your line go up under and over the pipe or below it?

I also used a lot of different hoses that had different angled bends, with an inline cooler.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/racerx573/04-05%20Projects/YZ5004.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/racerx573/04-05%20Projects/YZ1004.jpg

You can kind of see it from this side as well how much of a gap I have between the pipe and hose.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/racerx573/04-05%20Projects/YZ5003.jpg

dehner47
09-18-2008, 01:39 PM
thanks for those pics bro.that gives me some perfect input on what i need to do.

anyways,to answer your question i was running a walsh one.and the line goes over the pipe.i like how yours runs under it like that.my brother has a yfz450 so i think i might yank his out of his bike and use that one.then i'll just put the walsh one back into his bike.and you said yours is outta a 450 also? cause his is an s shaped spout.i like yours and how its bent.any thoughts?

dehner47
09-18-2008, 01:44 PM
also,what kinda head pipe you running? is it a 426 head pipe or a yfz450 head pipe??

racerx573
09-18-2008, 02:08 PM
It's a stock 426 header.

The spout on mine is from the head on the YFZ I believe. It's just the small 90 degree one, that goes from the engine to the top of the radiator in-line.

You might be able to use your Walsh one too, just get a piece of hose that has a 90 degree bend to bring the hose downward. That's why I used the inline cooler, because I didn't have the exact hose I needed, so I cut the 90 degree end of the hose to run it down, put the inline cooler in, and then cut another piece of hose to go from the cooler to the radiator..

Do you have any overheating issues? Are you running an oil tank or a wet sump kit?

dehner47
09-18-2008, 02:25 PM
word.i'm gonna try to go to the auto parts store and see if i can figure something out.i'm running a 450 head n pipe so that might be were i'm running into a problem.guess its just trial and error.

and no i never really had an over heating issue.and i have pushed that bike to the limet everytime i ride.and no issues as of yet.and i am running a sump pump set up.works great.it was a tc 440 that i just had him rework it for me.he put a new head on for me and now is punched out to a 455.known tom for years.he use to build my race motors back in the day.he told me this things should rip.cant wait to ride this beast..

thanks for your help racerx.i appreciate it.if i run into any issues,i'll send ya a pm if you dont mind..oh by the way,where in pa are your from??

ss440ex
09-18-2008, 11:23 PM

wilbur116
09-19-2008, 12:18 AM
I used a YFZ450 spout on a YZ450 engine with a stock and now DrD header. I used the same trick as racerx573 with the stock YFZ hoses and inline coolers. The coolant lines clear plenty enough with this set-up.

racerx573
09-19-2008, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by dehner47
word.i'm gonna try to go to the auto parts store and see if i can figure something out.i'm running a 450 head n pipe so that might be were i'm running into a problem.guess its just trial and error.

and no i never really had an over heating issue.and i have pushed that bike to the limet everytime i ride.and no issues as of yet.and i am running a sump pump set up.works great.it was a tc 440 that i just had him rework it for me.he put a new head on for me and now is punched out to a 455.known tom for years.he use to build my race motors back in the day.he told me this things should rip.cant wait to ride this beast..

thanks for your help racerx.i appreciate it.if i run into any issues,i'll send ya a pm if you dont mind..oh by the way,where in pa are your from??

I'm in the Pittsburgh area. Have you had any reliability issues with the bigger displacement? I reallt want to make mine a 450, did you just get it bored? What kind of piston/compression are you running? Is it a stock crank? Is it just bored or is it stroked as well?

Sandsjbyz22
09-19-2008, 12:35 PM
I have the 450 engine and used the stock 450 piece but actually cut it down past where the two lines came together. Then I used the yfz coolant hose and cut it down so it sat lower. But from looking at your pictures RacerX I would say my FMF pipe doesnt come as low as the stock head pipe does. I will try and get some pics posted later.

dehner47
09-19-2008, 12:42 PM
not ridden it since its been punched out to a 455.just got it back from tom about 2 weeks ago.just getting ready to finish this pig up.he actually had a head at his shop that was brand new and was already bored that a customer d**ked him on so he put that one on there for me.and it is stroked.he went threw the whole motor top and bottom for me and said its tight as a drum.everything is perfect so there shouldn't be any reliability issues. and i'm pretty sure he used a pro-x piston in it if i'm not mistaken.but i could be wrong.