PDA

View Full Version : Steering Stabilizer problem.

TheNewn
09-18-2008, 12:39 AM
I just got in 2 steering stabilizers, one for my 400EX, and one i bought for my dad's Raptor 700. The problem is, the clamps don't seem to hold very well. Specifically the one on the steering stem.

They're just the "stick" style stabilizers and the clamp on the steering stem seems to twist if i even set the stabilizer to full stiffness on the 400EX. On the Raptor if one of us were to jerk the bars simulating hitting a rock or log or what not it would move the clamp with a screeching sound.

Any ideas on how to get the clamp to hold better short of welding a piece of metal to the stem? I felt i really cranked on the allen head screws on my 400, and its only aluminum, don't want to strip it out.

Thanks guys.

Jimbo M
09-18-2008, 01:02 PM
I had the same problem with mine. I shimmed the steering stem with a flat piece of copper, then put the bracket over it and snugged the bolts down. With the copper being somewhat soft, it molded itself to the stem. Hasn't slipped yet. Sure beats welding the bracket on, especially if you ever bent your steering stem and had to replace it.