PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone else noticed this

tuefelhunden
09-17-2008, 03:28 PM
ON all of the Can-Am ads, like the 2-page spread in ATV Sport and Dirt Wheels, the DS450x MX is using different shocks. I think this is to portray more travel than they actually will have stock. I'm still getting one but I think that's a little shadey and false advertising.
You can see them in this photo from the Can-AM website.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v645/TUEFELHUNDEN/DS450XMX-action-02-wallpapers.jpg

ThePhantomRider
09-17-2008, 05:58 PM
Actually the shocks are different on the MX version. What you see in the ad is what comes on them no trickery just upgraded KYB shocks.

TPR

OzLinc
09-17-2008, 06:07 PM
Yeah, the shocks on the MX look awesome. No LT upgrade needed for this weapon - just tune and go.

I've always known the front shocks were long but I have never measured them. Does anyone know the length eye to eye?.

Linc

tuefelhunden
09-18-2008, 05:58 AM
Uhm, no. Those are not the stock X MX shocks! Those have 2 crossovers and 3 springs. The stock ones are a small spring and one dual-rate spring and 1 crossover.

I could be wrong but that's what it looks like to me.

younggun95
09-18-2008, 11:17 AM
I agree that they are the normal x model shocks.
But, even if they aren't, I don't know about anyone else, but when I look at the picture I dont think " WOW. Look at how much travel it has"

XCRacer236
09-18-2008, 12:24 PM
http://www.can-am.brp.com/en-US/models/ds-450-efi/ds-450-efi-x-mx/key-features.htm

same shock man...

tuefelhunden
09-18-2008, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by younggun95
I agree that they are the normal x model shocks.
But, even if they aren't, I don't know about anyone else, but when I look at the picture I dont think " WOW. Look at how much travel it has"

Dude, you don't have to bash me. I just thought of all the pics I could find these showed the shocks the most clearly.:macho

ThePhantomRider
09-18-2008, 12:52 PM
No big deal....you may see different shocks as they may use "stock" photos for certain pictures.

What you see on the quad is what you get.

Now as for travel, what some were trying to say was that just because you see a multi spring setup doesn't necessarily translate in to longer travel.

TPR

tuefelhunden
09-18-2008, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by CaseDawg350
http://www.can-am.brp.com/en-US/models/ds-450-efi/ds-450-efi-x-mx/key-features.htm

same shock man...

Dude, you guys are on crack if you think these are the same shocks!!
http://www.can-am.brp.com/ATVPUBLIC/CMSResource.ashx/www.can-am.brp.com/neutral/models/DS-450-efi/ds-450-efi-x-mx/videos-pictures/DS450XMX_studio_wallpapers.jpg
http://www.can-am.brp.com/ATVPUBLIC/CMSResource.ashx/www.can-am.brp.com/neutral/models/DS-450-efi/ds-450-efi-x-mx/videos-pictures/DS450XMX-action-03-wallpapers.jpg

tuefelhunden
09-18-2008, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by ThePhantomRider
No big deal....you may see different shocks as they may use "stock" photos for certain pictures.

What you see on the quad is what you get.

Now as for travel, what some were trying to say was that just because you see a multi spring setup doesn't necessarily translate in to longer travel.

TPR

Sorry, I should rephrase what my original claim was. They are using a different, more complex, spring configuration to portray a "Ready to race" look and it is not the case at all. If you look at the riding pictures on the website doesn't that make you think you are getting the same shocks/spring configuration as what is shown. There is no small print that says, "Vehicles shown with optional equipment" and that is most certainly the case here.

ThePhantomRider
09-18-2008, 02:54 PM
No your eyes are not deceiving you, but here's what you have to remember....If you look at each picture, you'll notice all 3 have shocks that have different looks.

Each was taken at a different time and thus likely to have different setups for testing purposes. What is to have likely happened is that either they made the switch to the multi rate setup after the original photoshoot, or the one in the starting gate had an earlier test setup.

Either way, Can-Am doesn't claim anymore than travel numbers. Also the Can-Am DS650 came stock with a dual spring shock out back so it is possible they eventually did go with a multispring front shock.

TPR

tuefelhunden
09-18-2008, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by ThePhantomRider
No your eyes are not deceiving you, but here's what you have to remember....If you look at each picture, you'll notice all 3 have shocks that have different looks.

Each was taken at a different time and thus likely to have different setups for testing purposes. What is to have likely happened is that either they made the switch to the multi rate setup after the original photoshoot, or the one in the starting gate had an earlier test setup.

Either way, Can-Am doesn't claim anymore than travel numbers. Also the Can-Am DS650 came stock with a dual spring shock out back so it is possible they eventually did go with a multispring front shock.

TPR

Thats a good point. I am really excited to get mine and do some riding...whatever the shocks look like!

younggun95
09-18-2008, 09:02 PM
Definitely wasn't bashing you. Just trying to say that if they were different shocks and they were trying to make people think they had more travel, that would be a bad decision on their part. Just because most people wouldn't think of that.

ThePhantomRider
09-19-2008, 09:22 AM
No, there's nothing to bash from either point of view. You made an astute observation and were wanting an answer. Knowing how development works I offered a plausible answer.

TPR

tuefelhunden
09-19-2008, 10:02 AM
Thanks. TPR

XCRacer236
09-19-2008, 10:07 PM
and dude your on crack if you cant realize where the pic was taken, the lighting, and whats in the background all have affects on what the colors looks like.

tuefelhunden
09-20-2008, 06:13 AM
and dude your on crack if you cant realize where the pic was taken, the lighting, and whats in the background all have affects on what the colors looks like.

Colors of what?

XCRacer236
09-20-2008, 02:46 PM
THE SHOCK BODY! thats only what this thread is about... you started this tread...

yfzrider310
09-20-2008, 05:35 PM
The 1st and 3rd pic look like they are using a dual rate front shock. The 2nd pic looks like they are using more of a progressive rate shock. Thats my observation correct me if im wront.

XCRacer236
09-20-2008, 05:42 PM
ah i see!! well you guys were making comments about the shock body, not really the spring. that was prolly something they did with fine print like (optional accessories shown) or something of that nature. because the 1st and 3rd pics are ones being rode. the 2nd is a picture like in a studio. could have been a small modification they did when riding them...

tuefelhunden
09-21-2008, 12:04 PM
THE SHOCK BODY! thats only what this thread is about... you started this tread...

Yeah I did, but I meant the entire shock. But the only real difference is with the springs. Not the shock body. That is what I was talking avbout.