PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Spacers

devildog2112
09-17-2008, 02:34 PM
I read one of the threads about wheel spacers, and several of you said to be careful. Can you tell me of any problems with them?

My son rides an '06 z400 and i put the spacers on 'cause I thought it would be a little safer in the turns. Any help would be great. Thanks!

jonboy
09-17-2008, 05:12 PM
It puts a lot more stress ont he spindle,bearings and wheel studs.

devildog2112
09-17-2008, 05:28 PM
Thanks jonboy.

Do I need to be concerned with a 140 pound rider who is just riding at Glamis and not doing any crazy jumping?

I appreciate it!

jonboy
09-17-2008, 07:14 PM
Is that 140 with his gear on? Essentually it changes the center of the load on the actual wheel hub and spindle. You will more likely get more bump steer or feedback to the bars with spacers also. You could have flip your front wheels to achieve the same affect with less worries imo. I cant tell you either way but if it were me I wouldnt.

devildog2112
09-18-2008, 12:09 PM
Thanks for the imput jonboy.

RATPACK Z400
09-28-2008, 08:27 AM
I got front spacers with dura blue x axle in rear, for trails handles great wish i could get new front end ,But happy with front spacers I rode dunes,in AZ,CA and PA trails for years bearings lasted 2 seasons before changing went in lots of water & mud.

NRPkfx400
10-01-2008, 12:43 PM
Because you arnt adding longer tie rods, turning the machine will actually become harder.

airmobile101
10-01-2008, 02:28 PM
You'll be just fine with wheel spacers. Yea, you'll get bump steer,but its something I just became used to. No I don't have spacers, but I run a 3/2 offset on the front.

devildog2112
10-01-2008, 02:57 PM
Thanks all. My son rides with the wheel spacers and I wanted to be sure it was safe. He is 140 pounds and 10 years old and I thought making the bike wider would be safer. Thanks again!

cataway
10-02-2008, 03:27 AM
not for me ,i know a guy that lost it because of bump steer and broke his pelvis

airmobile101
10-02-2008, 05:51 AM
Originally posted by devildog2112
Thanks all. My son rides with the wheel spacers and I wanted to be sure it was safe. He is 140 pounds and 10 years old and I thought making the bike wider would be safer. Thanks again!
auuuhhh, Your son is ten and rides a Z400 ? I think the wheel spacers are the least of your worries;)

devildog2112
10-02-2008, 10:41 AM
Yeah, I know, I am a bad Dad...until you see him ride. I tried to attach a picture of him riding but it didn't work. He is the size and height of a 13 or 14 year old and is very mature and focused when he rides. I think he is a better rider than me and does not have tunnel vision like a lot of kids. He started on a predator 90 at 6, so he has at least 4 years of a ton of year round riding under his belt. Thanks alot!

airmobile101
10-02-2008, 01:06 PM
I didn't say your a bad dad. Why would I ???? If you want your kid riding a 400cc bike, then be my guest. So my next question would be, what are you gonna tell the police/doctors/social worker when he injures himself on that 400cc bike? "Oh, he is very mature and focused." Thats not gonna fly with them.

Just remember, he still is a child and children make mistakes !!!

devildog2112
10-02-2008, 01:35 PM
I appreciate the imput. He only rides of road. It had become unsafe in my opinion for him to ride a 90cc that he was WAY too large physically for. He had rolled over a couple of times due to his size on the 90cc. I do not consider it a 400cc bike since I keep the throttle screwed down and the motor and exhaust are all stock (and will be for a long time). In any event there is no law about how old you have to be to ride a quad off road (at least to my knowelege). i know the manufacturers put those stickers on, but that is just to cover thier butts. How many 15 year olds have you seen riding under 89cc quads? Kind of ridiculous if you think about it. Anyway, I have been very strict with his riding and I am always right behind watching. If he does things wrong he is not allowed to ride. If you saw him ride you would understand. My second son is 7 and is nowhere near the rider that the 1o year old is, so he will be on the 90 for a long time. Take Care.

jonboy
10-02-2008, 09:36 PM
Hey leatherneck there are laws for appropriate age for bike size in each state, its not just the manufacturers. Here lately the government is biting down even harder than ever on this subject as well. I cant tell you how to run your life nor your childrens but I would strongly concider selling the 400 and getting maybe a raptor 250 or the new kawasaki 250 that is getting released. Just food for thought maybe. They are both directed as a youth quad. I dont know if you remember the 250x or not but it too was still plenty powerfull for some adults. Its not just the power it is also a weight issue if he ever rolls it on top of himself. It only takes a quick accidental stab on the throttle and its too late. The Z400 has gobs of torque. But you do what you think is best.

birdman652001
10-13-2008, 03:10 PM
i should be using wheel spacers but i just steel hollow tubes for an 1 and a 1/2 spacing. seems fine and have pop wheelies and jumped and doesnt seem to bother any of my suspension. *shrugs*

fasterz69
10-27-2008, 02:54 PM
not to be a jerk or anything but who cares how old the kid is. i mean its not like he went out and bought him this quad, put a big bore kit in it and said go teach yourself how to ride. its a stock bike and he has the throttle screw in. sure its a little big but the guy is always with his son and watches him. no kid above the age of 9 should be riding a 90. those laws are bull ****. if he wants to have the risk of getting a ticket for it then who cares. its his son. just my 2 cents

RTJ
10-27-2008, 11:41 PM
fasterz69 you are exactly right. every 10 yr old is not the same. most fathers that spend enough time with their son to ride atv's knows his ability, skill level &maturity. my son rode a ds250 when he was 9 now he's 11 and rides our brute force under close supervision oh yeah, nearly forgot. our ds250 has 2" wheel spacers on frount.1 3/4 on back.it has had the heck rode out of it with no issues