PDA

View Full Version : Buying a New Axle

nacs400ex
12-09-2002, 04:17 PM
I would like to buy a new axle and dont know which company to go with, I know for a fact, i dont really want to go with LSR because their employees are idiots. I am going to do a bit of racing and trail riding, what width should I get ??? Any suggestions/ reasons would be great.

Ballistic Atv
12-09-2002, 04:36 PM
I would go with a rpm axle, they have a lifetime warrantee.
And they are pretty much the best built axle imo.

Ballistic Atv
12-09-2002, 04:37 PM
And they r not that much more expensive than a lonestar axle.

nacs400ex
12-09-2002, 06:20 PM
thanks, any suggested width ??:huh

wilkin250r
12-09-2002, 06:32 PM
Extended axles make the quad more stable, which is great for racing because you can take a corner faster without fear of tipping. However, they aren't that great for trail riding because you find yourself hitting more ruts, logs and rocks, simply because your back end is wider.

For width, most aftermarket axles are adjustable from +1 to +4, so you can pick and choose by trial and error which width is best for you.

I wouldn't discount LSR right off the bat. Just because the guy answering the phones is a moron, it doesn't make it a bad product. AND, I've seen alot better deals on the LSR than I've seen on the RPM axles. If you like, e-mail me, I may be able to put you in touch with somebody.

RiPPiNiTuP7
12-09-2002, 06:33 PM
Pay the extra money for the RPM and be done with it.

Quadracer5
12-09-2002, 07:31 PM
Don't forget about durablue, they make great axles as well. The X-33 is a very good axle, strong, light, lifetime warrenty. Just my 2 cents.

Kyle

nacs400ex
12-09-2002, 07:48 PM
Well what is the price difference between the RPM and the LSR??

RiPPiNiTuP7
12-09-2002, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by Honda300Rider
Well what is the price difference between the RPM and the LSR??

Retail...about $40 or so.

nacs400ex
12-09-2002, 08:03 PM
Ok, i might go with the RPM, i dunno, i am gunna do some scouting around and such. I might save my money and go with some elka triple rates with ssd, and remote rezzies. I dunno, gotta save some money for a bit.

mxracer111
12-09-2002, 08:17 PM
I sell RPM axles..... 380 + 20 shipping to your door in the US. Brand new from RPM with lifetime warranty. retail for 429.95. email me.....mxracer111@aol.com

AndrewRRR
12-10-2002, 12:59 PM
I have no complaints about my RPM dominator. It's adjustable from -1 to +4. I have heard LOTS of complaints about breaking durablue and I've heard replacement problems with the LSR axcalibar. RPM is the closest you'll get to a "no questions asked" lifetime warranty.
As for weight I believe the LSR and the durablue X-33 are aluminum while the RPM is some sort of chromoly blend (they won't talk much about the metallurgy of it) so the RPM will weigh more if you care that much about weight.

OK_400ex
12-10-2002, 01:35 PM
If you want an LSR axle, buy it from someone other than LSR.

Extremeracer167
12-10-2002, 02:08 PM
you guys are doing EXACLTY what brainwashed children would do. Just because a few guys posted that they didnt get along with ONE GUY at LS, doesnt mean there products are junk. What you should do is go check out some websites, LSR and RPM, and look at it and see which one YOU want. LSR axles are almost IDENTICAL to RPM. and no they arent aluminum, they are heat treated steel. which im sure is the same as RPM. Whatever it is, it sais it on the LSR website. just check it out, look around. Whichever u can get the best price on, get it, cause they are almost identical.

MX440exracer
12-10-2002, 03:15 PM
The LSR is the only one with a REAL lifetime warranty. The others claim, but wait to you break one, the next one will cost you half price of a new one. The LSR has a full lifetime warranty. If you bend it, they will straighten it, you brake it, they replace it, no questions asked. The only thing that you have to pay is shipping of the axle, to and from them. which is like $18. It will be the last axle you ever have to buy, period. I'm not sure how Dura-blue or RPM handle their deals.

There customer service may be a little hard to handle sometimes, but you won't have to buy another axle, ever. You can find LSR axles for less than $350 if you look hard enough.

The Lone Star axle might bend a little easier, but it is way harder to brake one. Which would you rather have, a bent axle that didn't send you on an uncontrollable ride after it broke, or something you can pull off the track with.

Most times when I have seen them bend, they are still rideable.

Good Luck!

Extremeracer167
12-10-2002, 03:21 PM
I think the way LS works theres. If its bent more then a certain amount. like......and inch then they will send u a new one. Anything under the certain amount they will just straighten it. Im not sure what this limit is. Either way, they say there axles are just as strong after they straighten them, due to the treatment they put them through and the material they use. I know im not spending the extra money for RPM. Im gettin lonestar

AndrewRRR
12-10-2002, 03:47 PM
Nobody said LSR axles suck. I have just heard complaint's (not on this forum, on the R forum) about problems getting them replaced when they are bent or broken. If anyone on here has bent or broken one please share your experience.
I went with RPM because of the many experiences from other R racers that use them and all were positive and had nothing bad to say. The fact that most pro's use them (They also come with a Roll Design bike if you buy a complete chassis) helped my decision too.

87250r88
12-10-2002, 03:47 PM
Buy the LSR. It is the best axle on the market.

I have a RPM dominator that is broken and RPM won't replace it. So much for a lifetime warranty.

Now I have 3 LSR axles.

Extremeracer167
12-10-2002, 03:57 PM
Axcaliber axle all the way!

nacs400ex
12-10-2002, 03:57 PM
This is harder than i thought, mixed opinions between LSR and RPM, One will do this the other wont, and then the story changes. I think its just gunna come down to what i choose. I dunno ? This might be for christmas, or my birthday which is during march. i dunno. So my parents will be pitching in for it or buying it.

nacs400ex
12-10-2002, 03:58 PM
o yeah, Thanks for all your help. Even though i am still deciding lol

Extremeracer167
12-10-2002, 03:58 PM
Axle wise they are prob. the same exact quality. But the LS is cheaper, and i think there warranty is better.

RiPPiNiTuP7
12-10-2002, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Extremeracer167
i think there warranty is better.

LMFAO, RIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT :rolleyes:

OutlawEX
12-10-2002, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by Extremeracer167
Axle wise they are prob. the same exact quality. But the LS is cheaper, and i think there warranty is better.

lmfgda,u got to be kidding,RPM is the onyl axle company to give a true limited warranty..

Honda 300 ,hey go with MXracer111 on buying an axle he sells them cheap and they are very nice,he is easy to work with and sells great products...

Extremeracer167
12-10-2002, 08:17 PM
explain to me then(and please go into much detail) why RPM is better? haveing spoken to a sponsored rider who ran both axles. He sais the quality is the same. He never had a problem with either product. And almost anyone else that u talk to that ran both axles will say the same thing!

RiPPiNiTuP7
12-10-2002, 09:10 PM
I never made a comment as to which is better, I was referring to the warranty...and in my opinion I bet it will be much easier to get RPM to fix/replace an axle than LSR...like I said thats my opinion only. RPM will fix/replace your axle no questions asked...no matter how many you break/bend it...so how can LSR's warranty be better? Do they send you a sticker too? :rolleyes:

B@ckBoneBelgium
12-11-2002, 04:13 AM
Guys ,

I live in belgium and i have for 3 years now a LSR +4 Axle . It is hard ridden in the GNCC ( or how is that in US ) series and has a lot of abuse on it .

NOTHING happend to the axle yet :devil . Only the crome is chipping of , but that is normal for an axle of 3 years .

Go with LSR , They are the best axle makers !

12-11-2002, 08:15 AM
I've bent a durablue..and the warranty is junk. I now run a LSR axle and I'm very happy with it..if anyone says there junk,,then you got mental issues..go see a Dr.:blah

Dan Fisher
12-11-2002, 08:35 AM
LSR axles are used by a majority of pro riders. For one reason the warrenty is for life. If you can break 20 axles I will replace 20 axles for as long as you own your bike. Besides the warrenty, these rider use are axles because it sees more finishs than any other axle on the market. After that their is really nothing else I can say besides it wil be the last axle you have to buy!

B@ckBoneBelgium
12-11-2002, 09:19 AM
Dan ,

that is spoken men !

succes

Kenny