PDA

View Full Version : YFZ shocks on your 400's, let's see/hear about them

bbender85
09-16-2008, 10:30 PM
been looking to do 450R front shocks, but after reading this in the sticky i think YFZ shocks are for me..

Yfz450 shocks are cheaper to find. Not as many people use them cause their off a yamaha so they want to stick with honda so most go to 450r shocks so 450r shocks sell for more.

commin prices for stock used shocks are
yfz $150
450r $250

450r shocks on a EX are better than stock for jumping but raise the ride hight.
On tests stock yfz450 against the 450r, the yfz shocks were called better for mx. Thats was the shocks on on the original quads their made for but still the yfz shocks are better for mx than 450r.

I would pic yfz450 shocks over the 450r shocks any day. Why? Cause they are better for jumping and mx type stuff and thats what i do.
If your a trail rider than you dont need 450r shocks cause it will only make it a ruffer ride. Trail 400ex stockers are good.

If you trail ride a lot but like to hit the track some times or hit jumps get the 450r shocks But, if your not bottoming the stock 400ex shocks all the time then why get 450r shocks?

450r shocks are slightly longer eye to eye and offer only .2 more travle over stock. They raise the ride hight around a inch. They get hotter faster than yfz shocks.

Yfz450 shocks on a Ex allow you to adj the ride hight up to about stock hight or you can adj the hight all the way down to about 5" lower than stock hight which is mx hight. They are said to be more adjustable. Buy that i mean that turning the dials is said to be felt more on the yfz shocks. Im not sure about that but my compression/rebound adj just a couple clicks can be felt allot.
The shocks offer about 1 more inch travle over stock(9.1).

I checked the bottoming points.
When a 400ex with stock shocks bottoms the A-arms are about streight and would be about teh same using 450r shocks.

When a 400ex with yfz450 shocks bottom it bottoms just at the right time. Stock A-arms can only pivot up so far b4 the ball joints go to their limit and at that limit the A-arms will stop moving. Well with the yfz shocks the front bottoms just b4 the ball joints come to their limit. Like just right. If the shocks could compress like a half inch more it would bottom out on the ball joints and that would break them realy easy. So they allow your shocks to compress as far as possable with out breaking the ball joints.
Yfz shocks are said to be valved for +2 A-arms from the factory.

I put the ride hight as low as it could go and i was hitting doubles. The front shocks would almost bottom every time i hit the double but wouldn't. Once the shocks started heating up i noticed i was bottoming lightly. It didnt feel like it, it felt like a soft landing but i saw marks on the ground so the front of the frame was scraping the ground some times when the shocks bottomed. It never bottomed hard one time like the ex shocks would do. It only bottomed very lightly.
When i have it on the lowest ride hight i put the compression on teh second stiffest setting and have the rebound all the way out at less their isn't many jumps.

If you put the yfz shocks as soft as they go they feal to soft. When i had them as soft as they go it had to much body roll which means to soft which means they can go from stiff were they dont move to soft probably softer than 450r. Actually on the softest setting they felt almost like the stock 400ex shocks just not as springy.

you can adj the shocks so they never bottom.

Over all i would say yfz shocks are the better choice.

i'd love to hear some more firsthand experiences.

dang400ex
09-17-2008, 11:27 AM
I have yfz shocks on my ex and I like them a lot. The hardest part is milling the top eye down to fit which is at least half an inch. But they were cheaper and much better than stock, very adjustable. I set the spring preload on mine so it sits a little less than an inch lower from stock. It climbs hills so much better and is smoother overall. You will get some crap from your buddies because they are yamaha parts but just ignore them. Thats all I've got

coryatver
09-17-2008, 12:54 PM
yfz shocks are to short to work properly. Best bet is to get 450r shocks and have them converted. With yfz shocks you will not have anywhere close to the correct travel for a 400ex. The 450r shocks are not correct either but are closer and with a conversion they will work just as good as any aftermarket shock. Taking the cheap way will get your cheap results.

bbender85
09-17-2008, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by coryatver
yfz shocks are to short to work properly....With yfz shocks you will not have anywhere close to the correct travel for a 400ex....

soo.... everything i quoted above is incorrect? :confused:

09-17-2008, 01:43 PM
pretty much...the first clue that the quoted person is talking out of their *** is that they say the stock shocks are good enough...

maclavin
09-18-2008, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by coryatver
yfz shocks are to short to work properly. Best bet is to get 450r shocks and have them converted. With yfz shocks you will not have anywhere close to the correct travel for a 400ex. The 450r shocks are not correct either but are closer and with a conversion they will work just as good as any aftermarket shock. Taking the cheap way will get your cheap results.

Why you would post this? Define anywhere close to the correct travel? I have had both and much prefer the YFZ shocks for fast trail riding.

Kevslatvin
09-18-2008, 04:51 PM
I don't think that yfz shocks are cheaper anymore. I just picked up some '04-'05 450r fronts for 145.20+shipping on ebay last week. I searched completed auctions and the yfz's are closing at $168 up to $300 vs. $145 to $300. you can probably rule out price as a factor. I am very curious about the yfz springs on the 450r shocks though.