PDA

View Full Version : nail biting help

bean2080
09-16-2008, 10:29 PM
ok i know you all might think its stupied that im posting this but im tired of biting my nails and i want to stop. i have been biting them for as long as i can remember and its just all i have ever done. i dont really think it is a stress or nervis problem because im just not the shy type and i am extreamly laid back. i will be out of college in a couple years and i just want to stop thats all there is to it. i used to smoke and beleave it or not, im having a worse time trying to quit this than quiting smoking. i am a mechanic and my hands are always covered in oil, greese and everything, so while im at work i dont bite them becasue there all dirty but insted of biting them i pick them. i know people are going to tell me to toughin up a little but im really serious about this. i try to chew gum, chew on pens, and everything and i still go back to my nails. any help on this would be great, i was just up late tonight and desided i would post this and see if you all had any good ideas.

09-16-2008, 10:36 PM
put something nasty on the tips of your fingers. Not sure what. maybe some salt or dog crap. but hey its a thought. Also chew some gum. u wont bite your nails as much. i go same problem. but no reason to quit. i love it

powermadd400ex
09-16-2008, 11:03 PM
i have the same problem
gum helps sometimes. my dad said put hot sauce on my fingertips but that jus made em taste better :p
but seriously id like to quit to. its kinda annoying

crazy_jeremy
09-17-2008, 03:01 AM
raccoon piss on the tips of your fingers should help.. lol

Yippie-Ki-Yay
09-17-2008, 05:36 AM
Theres a spray that you put on things to make dogs stop chewing on stuff, go to a pet store or website and look it up, it doesnt smell or anything, just tastes terrible. What made me stop was a combo of that, and thinking about whats under my nails, and how bad it will make my nails look when im older.

stumpleg
09-17-2008, 07:02 AM
It is very tough. I did it for a long time and last new years, I told myself I was going to quit. I basically had to committ myself and stop. I chew a lot of gum and try to keep my mind off of it.

Quad18star
09-17-2008, 09:03 AM
Have you ever seen some older person that has chewed their nails over the course of their lifetime? They actually have stubby fingers and it looks pretty disgusting.

My girlfriend USED to bite her nails until I showed her pictures of peoples fingers that they chewed all their life .

Your nail is there to protect the end of your fingers .... people that chew them end up with short finger tips that are wide. IMO it looks terrible.

Also just think of the millions of bacteria that lay under your nail. There's more under your nail than on a public toilet seat . Would you lick a public toilet seat? :huh

Bbro
09-17-2008, 09:13 AM
Here is some interesting and slightly disturbing info on to exactly WHAT is under your fingernails.. I admit I struggle with the same problem/habbit sometimes.. Mainly when I am bored or nervous.

Bacteria which could cause illness may be lurking under fingernails, research out today shows.

Tests carried out at Aston University found an array of bacteria on some nail clippings taken from 100 men and women.

Some of the most infectious traces, called enterobacteriaceae, could cause diarrhoea and vomiting, according to Anthony Hilton, a doctor of microbiology who carried out the research.

Tests showed potentially harmful bacteria lurked on the nail clippings of 24 per cent of those taken from men and 15 per cent taken from women.

Poor toilet hygiene, contact with animals, handling raw meat and changing nappies can all increase the chances of people having bacteria on their hands.

Describing the presence of harmful bacteria, Dr Hilton said: "They were concerning because the places that these organisms normally live is in the gut of animals or humans.

"They are strongly associated with the ability to cause gastroenteritis."

The research was based on nail clippings taken using sterile clippers or scissors from both hands of 55 women and 45 men.

Tests were then carried out to find the number and type of bacteria present on the clippings.

The research was commissioned by Wrigley Extra.

bean2080
09-17-2008, 10:41 AM
thanks for the replys guys, that bacteria stuff does make you think twice about it and so does the blunt looking finger tips. :ermm: :huh i havent bit or picked them any yet today but again its only 12:30. im really going to try to kick this, i hate it.

quad2xtreme
09-17-2008, 11:10 AM
hmmm...I never chew mine nor even think about it. A gay guy once told me this is a sign that they use to tell if another man is gay too. :eek2: :eek2: :eek2:

S.A.J
09-17-2008, 11:32 AM
that ^^^^ should do it for ya,lol would for me

atvnut22
09-17-2008, 03:33 PM
get ya some 3m dust remover, the kind for keyboards and make sure it has a bittering agent in it, its for stopping people from huffing it, anyways spray that on them. it tastes horrible

09-17-2008, 05:05 PM
A long time ago I heard about some guy getting a gum disease from always chewing his nails.

09-17-2008, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by atvnut22
get ya some 3m dust remover, the kind for keyboards and make sure it has a bittering agent in it, its for stopping people from huffing it, anyways spray that on them. it tastes horrible

Just put your thumbs or fingers in your ears. Worst taste ever if you try and bite your nail. :eek:

Warnerade
09-17-2008, 07:56 PM
just get a girl who likes her taint to be scratched..that right there was motivation for me to stop